The Fundamental Nebraska Problem With Trying To Do A BIackout

knapplc

7 hours ago, gorp512 said:

If Tennessee can work a checkerboard around their stadium, the Huskers can get some stripes going. 

PSU will be striped out vs Nebraska in a few weeks. 

1001_WEB_a_Checker_Neyland_t618_t1070_he

Is this a screenshot from NCAA 97 on Sega Genesis? 

Blackouts generally don't work because people usually don't wear all black and black hats. It also doesn't look good on TV.

Penn State fans wear all white and lots of people have white hats for their white out games. It plays well on TV for night games. Even then, I think they are only 5-5 in those games. 

30 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

What about the rest of the stadium that did the same damn thing? 

My point is/was......the students could not even fill their sections for tOSU game.  Both the south and east sides were well below capacity.  So, the rest of the stadium should take their "lead" when they want to do a gimmick, like a black out game?  Ha !  The students complain about their seating yadda yadda yadda, the students want a black out yadda yadda yadda, but they don't even show up for a game like tOSU game?  Yeah, many other left that dumpster fire early, but at least they were there, unlike the student section.  Are we gonna need safe spaces soon to get them there?  Maybe hand out crayons and play doh for them too?

1 minute ago, 10_point_buck said:

My point is/was......the students could not even fill their sections for tOSU game.  Both the south and east sides were well below capacity.  So, the rest of the stadium should take their "lead" when they want to do a gimmick, like a black out game?  Ha !  The students complain about their seating yadda yadda yadda, the students want a black out yadda yadda yadda, but they don't even show up for a game like tOSU game?  Yeah, many other left that dumpster fire early, but at least they were there, unlike the student section.  Are we gonna need safe spaces soon to get them there?  Maybe hand out crayons and play doh for them too?

It sounds like someone needs a safe space all right....

• Plus1 1

Just now, Cdog923 said:

It sounds like someone needs a safe space all right....

Outside of the personal attack, you don't have any comments on what I stated?  My butt was in my seat until midway through the 4th quarter.  My son and I were dressed in RED, our school colors, and cheered as best we could that night.  As a 20+ year season ticket holder, i hold a fairly good perspective of what I have seen in the stadium over the years.

Just now, 10_point_buck said:

Outside of the personal attack, you don't have any comments on what I stated?  My butt was in my seat until midway through the 4th quarter.  My son and I were dressed in RED, our school colors, and cheered as best we could that night.  As a 20+ year season ticket holder, i hold a fairly good perspective of what I have seen in the stadium over the years.

Alright, I'll bite. What draw does an 18-22 year old have right now, at this very moment, to go to a football game at the University of Nebraska? I'll even let you ignore the fact that it was Fall Break, and a vast majority of students leave campus during the break. 

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

Alright, I'll bite. What draw does an 18-22 year old have right now, at this very moment, to go to a football game at the University of Nebraska? I'll even let you ignore the fact that it was Fall Break, and a vast majority of students leave campus during the break. 

What draw?  it is their alma mater, it is their school, their team.  I was in school and graduate school at UNL for 7 years and even during fall break, I did not miss games.  It was THE thing to do, to be at the game.  Even if we made plans for fall break, we did not leave until after the game.  If the students are not even committed to being at the game, fall break or not, they have no business being upset that their little black out did not go as planned. 

Just now, 10_point_buck said:

What draw?  it is their alma mater, it is their school, their team.  I was in school and graduate school at UNL for 7 years and even during fall break, I did not miss games.  It was THE thing to do, to be at the game.  Even if we made plans for fall break, we did not leave until after the game.  If the students are not even committed to being at the game, fall break or not, they have no business being upset that their little black out did not go as planned. 

None of this matters to the 18-22 year old in today's environment; they're no draw to football for them because, by and large, comparative to when you and I became fans, the team has sucked for their entire lives. The draw for them wasn't there during their formative years like it was for us: they grew up watching Bill Callahan and Bo Pelini, not Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne. It's a social activity that, once the appeal ends, they move on from, just like everyone with any other aspect of entertainment. If you don't like a TV show, are you going to force yourself to watch it? Do you not change the radio when a song that you don't like comes on? It's a myopic viewpoint to think they should stay at the game just because they go the school. Give them something to stay for, and they will. Shame on them for trying to do something like a b******* to try and manufacture excitement for something that virtually no one else was excited for.  

I'll get off your lawn now. 

17 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

When I went to UNL it was far, far easier for students to sell their tickets, so the student section always appeared full.  Since the school added extra steps to selling those tickets, they often go unsold.

There has never, ever been a time when college students didn't bail on games. It's just now it's more visible because the tickets will go unused. 

Not sure why you're blaming the students for anything. They're doing what students always do/have done.

• Plus1 3