The Fundamental Nebraska Problem With Trying To Do A BIackout

knapplc

24 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Ohio St is attempting a b******* this weekend.  

As you've pointed out, Black is not a primary color for Nebraska (or a secondary color for that matter).

xoVdSDV.png

It is, however, on OSU's primary color palette.

t04dKCy.png

Odd thing is, even though Black isn't on Nebraska's palette anywhere (primary, secondary or accent colors), it's used everywhere. 

A6cdjzi.png

nAevPXu.png

NtFEglx.png

E3EXhwJ.png

r2MciJF.png

For a color we don't even avow on our official school palette, we sure use it a lot.

Just now, Cdog923 said:

This begs the question: why the hell isn't PSU/OSU a primetime game? 

Off topic but... Both schools have had enough night games and both coaches have complained about the amount of road night games. As a Buckeye fan, I like the 3:30 start.

13 minutes ago, jaws said:

Off topic but... Both schools have had enough night games and both coaches have complained about the amount of road night games. As a Buckeye fan, I like the 3:30 start.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

FOX selected it to air in the afternoon and lead into World Series Game 4.

This makes sense, but for two top 10 teams, this begs for a primetime slot. 

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:00 PM, knapplc said:

I took this photo just before the Wisconsin game started and got a pretty decent representation of the crowd at what was supposed to be our Blackout.  As you can see, there's quite a bit of black in the stands.  Lots of red, some white/gray, etc. But mostly black, which is impressive for a social-media based campaign that started maybe a week before the game.  This is as solid of an effort from the fans as you're going to see unless the University partners with Adidas to give everyone a free shirt. 

But there's still a huge natural hindrance to the whole thing, and it basically means we can't really ever do a true Blackout at Nebraska.

Can anyone tell what the problem is?

mSBFkvG.jpg

Can't speak for anyone but me- I don't like the b******* and would never do it.  The school's main color is scarlet red and that is what we are known for in the football world.  I don't like seeing people in white or gray even if its Husker apparel.     I heard a Washington State dad tell his son once that he had never seen so much red.  Stick with red!

On 10/23/2017 at 1:38 PM, InOmaha said:

Because it's a stupid idea.  I don't own any black Husker gear, so they're asking me to wear something in generic black instead of the school colors.  I own a red hat, red shirt, red sweatshirt, and a red coat with Husker logos.  I don't own any of that in black.  So why not stick with the sea of red thing.

Plus, the opponent at the time wears red.  So there are likely thousands of them sprinkled around in the stadium;  like the guy with the W hat 3 rows down in the picture.  Better to blend them in.

At least Penn State is smart enough to pick one of their school colors.

On 10/23/2017 at 1:50 PM, skersfan said:

Great, let's just keep the Sea of Red tradition.

On 10/23/2017 at 1:52 PM, BoneyardHusker said:

I will tell you if I attended a game where they tried to do a coloring type gimmick I would wear red. Why? Because part of Nebraska is the Sea of Red. I don't get to attend many Nebraska games, so any chance I get to attend a game I wear red to be apart of the Nebraska tradition.

On 10/23/2017 at 2:16 PM, hskrpwr13 said:

The fact that NU's colors are Scarlet and Cream wouldve been my answer.

Disagree with you Knapp. I didn't see non-b******* because of skin color. I saw non-b******* due to red shirts.

Other than the way the bleachers sit and make faces the prominent background coloring, ^this is why we can't have a black out.

Agree 100% that if we would hand out shirts we could do it.  Even then though, there would be a large amount of fans that got offended by the idea of wearing black because sacrilege and what not.