SBNation: Pretend you’ve been offered the Nebraska and Tennessee jobs. Which should you take?

Saunders

Today, I’m going to debate myself on which coaching job is better: Nebraska Cornhuskers or Tennessee Volunteers? Neither job is open at the moment; however, coaches Mike Riley and Butch Jones are believed to be squarely on the hot seat, as each team has yet another disappointing season, and the athletic directors who hired them are no longer on the job.

Let’s stipulate that the difference in salaries at both programs is rather negligible.

Nebraska: Nebraska is a much more storied program than Tennessee.

Forty-six conference titles, five national titles (including three in the last quarter century), and three Heisman winners. Both jobs have been down for a while, but Nebraska is the easier sell with its tradition.

Tennessee: You used the word “sell.” Who are you selling? Coaches and recruits.

Remember, neither has any recent success to sell to recruits. None were born the last time we were on top.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/10/25/16534506/coaching-changes-2017-nebraska-tennessee

• Plus1 4

A very good article.  I think Nebraska and Tennessee are relatively equal in terms of "best coaching jobs", but his point of it being easier to win at Nebraska rings true IMO.  On paper, Nebraska will almost always be the most "talented" team in the B1G West, whereas Tennessee will almost never be the most "talented" team in the SEC East. 

• Plus1 1

That's not really that hard of a choice at first glance.

But step back and they both have their + & -.

Tenn has the fertile recruiting grounds and probably better weather overall. Family and friends don't have to travel as far to the games. 

Downside SEC has more than one team to get by {Ala] to play for all the marbles. Probably two in your division. 

The Neb job requires you to have to work harder on recruiting. Parents have to be sold on the program as well as the kids, as travel costs come into play.

As it stands now, beat one team in your division  [Wis] and you get a chance to  play for all the marbles.

Are facilities  match any ones, and better than most.

The B1G sells itself. Some great old schools with great traditions. These kids may not know much about the past, but they are not dumb.Get them to visit and your in the mix.

At first glance -Tenn

The closer you look, its a toss up.

JMO

GBR!!!

47 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

I'd go to Florida. Better recruiting, beaches an hour away, and warm weather. Plus being in the SEC, no need to follow the rules. 

The overwhelming negative being that Florida is still Florida, and you have to deal with death threats, bath salt zombies, and Florida people doing Florida things, as Floridians are wont to do.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Saunders said:

I agree with his premise, even if he incorrectly asserts that county scholarships were a thing.

I've always been astounded myself how this myth perpetrates itself.  As if it were an actual thing and Nebraska was the only place that utilized this mythical loophole.

I mean you could bet the farm if NU used "county scholarships" that approximately 100% of the rest of Div 1 would as well without hesitation.

32 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Yeah, I tried tweeting that to the author, but he basically said "i don't know who you are, I believe SI and Andy" and then muted the conversation.

#FakeNews

I think part of that is he just wants clicks and comments on his article. Maybe post it there :dunno

The problem that the SEC has right now is that Alabama out recruits all other teams in that conference by such a wide margin that other teams have lost hope and they rush to try and get a Saban clone so they can replicate what Bama is doing. Several hires in the SEC have been made over the last few years to try and do that and they all have failed so far besides what is taking place at Georgia. Heck, some nutty Florida fans are trying to push out a coach that won the SEC East the last two seasons. 

As far as a TN vs NE thing, it is much easier to win a conference title and get to the playoff by coaching at Nebraska and have to go through the B1G West compared to having to play Bama, Florida, and Georgia every year.