Rodgers says keep Riley

Hilltop

52 minutes ago, Rike Miley said:

Im actually really wondering what goes through your mind when watching this team play? It took me 7 years to fall off the Pelini bandwagon, so Im usually one for giving coaches time, but anyone with a pair of eyes can see that this is NOT good football. And when you break down film its even worse. 

What can I say. I'm a mystery.

"Give it time" is generally my philosophy. Coaches are always building towards something. It's very obviously not been a finished product, and even more obviously, teams that struggle in certain years will not struggle in ensuing ones. That's not a random flip of the switch. For example, the Pats '14 season was looking pretty bleak one night in Kansas City. It's not that they did a 180, it's that that game was part of their early development. Look at Tanner Lee, who was once on pace to throw 500 interceptions this season. Did we hire a new QB coach? No, but it's coming together for him.

This product, of course, won't get the chance to really even take wing. But nobody who's steamed about NU losses this year wants to hear my BS on this, obviously. And it's pretty much a moot point. Nebraska called its shot over a month ago when it took the extraordinary step of nixing the AD by conference play. 

We're all probably going to get what we want in Frost, and that excites me, too. I like Frost. But we're going to need to give him, or whoever the next guy is, the kind of patience and refraining from scurrilous hot takes that is the opposite of what we've seen these years from those never really on board with Riley/firing Pelini/some combination of the two to begin with.

Edited by zoogs
  • Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, zoogs said:

"Give it time" is generally my philosophy. Coaches are always building towards something. It's very obviously not been a finished product, and even more obviously, teams that struggle in certain years will not struggle in ensuing ones. That's not a random flip of the switch. For example, the Pats '14 season was looking pretty bleak one night in Kansas City. It's not that they did a 180, it's that that game was part of their early development. Look at Tanner Lee, who was once on pace to throw 500 interceptions this season. Did we hire a new QB coach? No, but it's coming together for him.

This product, of course, won't get the chance to really even take wing. But nobody who's steamed about NU losses this year wants to hear my BS on this, obviously. And it's pretty much a moot point. Nebraska called its shot over a month ago when it took the extraordinary step of nixing the AD by conference play. 

We're all probably going to get what we want in Frost, and that excites me, too. I like Frost. But we're going to need to give him, or whoever the next guy is, the kind of patience and refraining from scurrilous hot takes that is the opposite of what we've seen these years from those never really on board with Riley/firing Pelini/some combination of the two to begin with.

I get your comments of "give it time" if Riley were a young, inexperienced coach without a pattern of positives and negatives that go back over 20 years.  Your examples above come from small sample sizes from 2-3 game samples.  Things can drastically change from small sample sizes.  However, Riley has been at NU for over 30 games now, along with all of his prior experience at Oregon State and San Diego Chargers.  The Nebraska success of Riley and his staff aren't any different than what they were at Oregon State.  Simply put, Riley has turned NU into Oregon State.  If that's what you want, then you are probably different than 99% of the Nebraska fans out there.  If you want NU to be better than Oregon State, then you should be on board with Riley being fired.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 4

With the loss of Bookie, we slipped to 49th overall in recruiting.  When I last checked, that leaves us 10 guys....with one OL recruit.......

Rileys classes have been the same as Bo's with worse results.  I see nothing in this staff that bodes the ability to develop talent.  For example the following:

Jaimes and Farniok wouldn't be playing if not for injury.  Same with Decker.  The crown jewel of the 2016 class was Lamar Jackson.  A 4* safety moved to CB.  Kalu moved to safety.......  The confusion at RB.  Receivers dropping balls at an alarming rate, game 8 before Riley and Co realize that the TE is an eligible receiver and the list goes on and on.  Not even throwing in the pi$$ poor clock management from a veteran coach and staff.  Riley doomed himself bringing in a subpar staff from the jump.  Had he brought in a complete new crew it might've been different.  

The only way I could remotely see him stay is to win out or go 7-5 and immediately fire Cav and Langs.  Maybe even Davis (2 games less than 100 yards...)  Basically I'd clean house.  Probably let Diaco go.  His bent and broken D sucks (it's his version of the 3-4).

• Plus1 2

I want NU to be something different than "We just need a native son to get back to the 90s" and "Yeah yeah I care about recruiting, but I see no difference between Bo Pelini and Mike Riley in this sphere", but that's not the way we're going. May it lead us somewhere good nevertheless, you never know.

This is clearly a pointless discussion for me to continue to have, so I'm out -- please don't quote/@ me. Thanks! We'll all hope for better games and better seasons.

Edited by zoogs

1 minute ago, zoogs said:

I want NU to be something different than "We just need a native son to get back to the 90s" and "Yeah yeah I care about recruiting, but I see no difference between Bo Pelini and Mike Riley in this sphere", but that's not the way we're going. May it lead us somewhere good nevertheless, you never know.

I have never said that a native son has to be the coach or AD at Nebraska.  However, I do think that it's essential that the coach/AD are familiar with what makes successful football at Nebraska.  I would be all over hiring Scott Frost, even if he weren't a Nebraska native and alumni.  I just think he has "it".  However, if Frost isn't named, if another guy who has "it" is named, I will be all for it.  I wasn't sold on Riley from day 1, because I didn't think he had "it".  I hoped he would be successful, but it's obvious to me that he won't be successful at NU.  He shouldn't be retained, just to try and get another year out of him for stability.  Trying to delay the inevitable only hurts the program in the long-term.

• Plus1 3

I don't see why people keep saying to keep Riley.  If we do, he'll probably clean house on offense.  So why is it okay to fire the assistants over a 2 year period but not Riley?

It's not like he's the coach the offensive and defensive players deal with the most.

He's going to fire people over the holidays if he stays.  Fire people in an attempt to keep his job.  At the holidays.

He sounds like the same type of business guy as any AD firing coaches this year.

1 hour ago, zoogs said:

I'm all for giving a coach time too.  I liked what he was building on the recruiting side, and I liked the promising way the offense was leaning before this season started.

However, it's year 3.  The QB we needed for this system to work basically has played from terrible to okay now which is not good enough.  We lost to a MAC team at home, not good enough.  We got blown out at home twice in 2 weeks in conference play, not...good...enough.  We almost have a losing record VS Purdue, not ......   good..............enough.  We haven't beaten Iowa since we fired Pelini.........do I need to say it?

• Plus1 1

Riley could have assembled an All Star staff 3 years ago.  Instead he brought a bunch of average guys he knew.  He basically sealed his fate with that decision.  Assuming his style would translate no problem and that this culture would accept it for years until it finally all fell into place, that's on him.

• Plus1 5

I don't disagree with the rationale of Rodgers or @zoogs. I mean I want stability and continuity in the program. And it will require some time more than 3 years to be sniffing around conference championships and playoffs. I like Riley and could accept him being our coach for a long time.....BUT, this is where we start to diverge. There has been no indication he is changing the course of this program for the better. Like it or not, by year 3 we should be seeing some signs of improvement or even seeing that improvement might be soon forthcoming if not being realized yet. There are no such signs. In fact, everything except possibly recruiting is headed in the wrong direction. The offense is in total disarray and Langsdorf's game planning and play calling is a joke. We can't run the ball for sh#t and Cavanaugh and our O line are not improving but are a complete clusterf#ck. Diaco's defensive system might prove to be serviceable (even if most of us do hate the soft prevent style) but we'll never find out because this team is not doing what it takes to get and hold a lead. You can't play prevent D when you're constantly playing from behind.  Riley has 30 some years in the game and he has never proven he is anything more than a middle of the pack mediocre coach. His results didn't see any bump when exposed to the resources here. There are still way too many issues for a coach of his tenure. Game management. Clock management. An apparent inability to motivate and inspire. Bad decision making for his surrounding staff. Banker, Reed, Langsdorf, Cavanaugh...he may have already moved to correct two of those but there is no excuse for the two that remain or the fact that they were problems to begin with. There is absolutely no indication this program is headed towards anything good with the current leadership. The absolute last thing we need is stability and consistency when the product is a hot mess. More time with this mess is just longer we have to wait until it gets headed in the right direction.

That is an honest appraisal of where we are. I'm not emotional. I'm not upset that we haven't won enough games. I really do like MR and wish it would've worked but it hasn't and won't. By the 3rd season we should be seeing some remote signs of getting better and what I'm seeing is the opposite. They finally got rid of TA and got the type of QB they want. It's gotten worse. Along with that they are now able to call the type of plays they want and the offense is sh#t. It's light weight, no identity, throw a bunch of crap at the wall finesse dogsh#t.  The last thing I want is for this system, this way of doing things to have stability. If you want to consistently be hovering around 7-5 results, MR is your man. No lightning is going to strike. No amount of time is going to change things. The ultimate hope with MR is that he'll pull off a wild upset once every couple of years. Maybe, just maybe, get us to a ccg once every 5 years (as long as the rest of the West division cooperates and is even worse than us). This is not championship football. This is not headed anywhere near championship football. It's not even good football. It's lukewarm, mediocre, middle of the pack bullsh#t. Year 3 three and we've lost to Northern Illinois, a terrible Oregon team, been prison sexed by both Wiscy and tOSU, squeeked by Arky State, pulled last minute miracle to beat Turdue and have won against two miserably bad teams in Rutgers and Illinois. WTF? More time for this? That's practically insane. It's nothing more than a sh#tshow that needs to be stopped.

Edited by El Diaco
  • Plus1 9