Rodgers says keep Riley

Hilltop

1 hour ago, zoogs said:

What can I say. I'm a mystery.

"Give it time" is generally my philosophy. Coaches are always building towards something. It's very obviously not been a finished product, and even more obviously, teams that struggle in certain years will not struggle in ensuing ones. That's not a random flip of the switch. For example, the Pats '14 season was looking pretty bleak one night in Kansas City. It's not that they did a 180, it's that that game was part of their early development. Look at Tanner Lee, who was once on pace to throw 500 interceptions this season. Did we hire a new QB coach? No, but it's coming together for him.

This product, of course, won't get the chance to really even take wing. But nobody who's steamed about NU losses this year wants to hear my BS on this, obviously. And it's pretty much a moot point. Nebraska called its shot over a month ago when it took the extraordinary step of nixing the AD by conference play. 

We're all probably going to get what we want in Frost, and that excites me, too. I like Frost. But we're going to need to give him, or whoever the next guy is, the kind of patience and refraining from scurrilous hot takes that is the opposite of what we've seen these years from those never really on board with Riley/firing Pelini/some combination of the two to begin with.

Comparing NFL professionals losing one game to collegiant players and coaches is a huge reach. Nebraska under Riley isnt any better in year 3 than they were in year 1. You are entitled to your opinion, but they didn't lose to Purdue this year, so maybe you are on to something. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

For those arguing to keep Riley and referencing his recruiting, did any of you see that Nebraska just lost their top recruit for the 2018 class? The recruiting class is something like 49th. Much like his on the field performance, Riley is regressing in year 3 of recruiting as well.

Well that is to be expected for a coach who is obviously soon to be shown the door. I don't want to keep him but I'm not going to use the loss of recruits under these circumstances as evidence of poor recruiting. But there are some other indicators that do show the recruiting is not all that it's been made out to be. I'd be a lot more impressed with it if it included some O linemen, some D linemen, some linebackers. When your recruiting successes are limited to WR's, QB's and some almost D backs and no other position, I'm not sure that says much about building the overall program.

24 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

Well that is to be expected for a coach who is obviously soon to be shown the door. I don't want to keep him but I'm not going to use the loss of recruits under these circumstances as evidence of poor recruiting. But there are some other indicators that do show the recruiting is not all that it's been made out to be. I'd be a lot more impressed with it if it included some O linemen, some D linemen, some linebackers. When your recruiting successes are limited to WR's, QB's and some almost D backs and no other position, I'm not sure that says much about building the overall program.

Both of your posts have been spot on.  Even the 11 kids we had for 2018, were all skill positions except 1 DL and 1 OL...Games are won in the trenches.  Plain and simple.  We lose one kid and our class tanks to 49.  We are now down to 10..... pi$$ poor recruiting.  Kids at the blue chip level are smart enough to see the writing on the wall.  The writing wasn't Riley being let go, it was the week in and week out sh$t show comedy of errors this staff put on the field week after week.

Bookie made the comment he was solid until April 2017..... Think this might have had anything to do with seeeing our new "attacking" D?  Diaco said it was vanilla, didnt want to show anything.  That is an excuse for This is the best I can do crap.  The season starts and same old vanilla no press, stunts or exotic schemes.....none.  Bookie and Co see this.  Read somewhere our CB's have no INT's this year.  Bookie appears to be getting them weekly.  You think he wants to play in this system.  Read his previous interviews about his style of play and watch our scheme.  His comment about wanting to take care of family and future shows he realizes he will get lost at NU and lessen his chances to make the NFL....Clemson and OU since 2015 have had 30+ guys drafted....NU? 8........The Bookie train pulled out of the station before the season even started.  

Maybe a new coach keeps some of the class.  Maybe we get a guy who really can do more with less.  Maybe we keep Riley and NU never recovers and lose the sell out streak and become a team that people use to practice their new ideas against.....

Edited by lo country
  • Plus1 3

All you have to do is watch the team perform and you see why Riley is a .500 coach. He doesn't pay any attention to details that equal wins. If he did we wouldn't have all the false starts, fair catches  (are you watching that Johnny) and crap that equals losing football. I read we are 10th in the big 10 in recruiting so  just because we have a crap load of offers out there doesn't mean players are coming here. Wins bring players, not smiles.

3 hours ago, zoogs said:

I want NU to be something different than "We just need a native son to get back to the 90s" and "Yeah yeah I care about recruiting, but I see no difference between Bo Pelini and Mike Riley in this sphere", but that's not the way we're going. May it lead us somewhere good nevertheless, you never know.

This is clearly a pointless discussion for me to continue to have, so I'm out -- please don't quote/@ me. Thanks! We'll all hope for better games and better seasons.

I don't think people are looking at it that way.

Met Johnny Rodgers once for an autograph signing at the Oak View Mall and left very disappointed. Dude was all about the money and didn’t give two sh*ts about the fans.

Met Crouch twice and Rozier once and never paid a dime for both their autographs.

So with that said I could give two sh*ts on what Johnny had to say

Edited by Dewiz

How would keeping Riley help with stability? Since he's been here he has nearly replaced his entire coaching staff not because they left for promotions but because they sucked, he still hasn't got rid of all the "toxins" from a player revolt in year 1 and the team has no identity.  Riley has been the opposite of stability since his first game.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, roadrat said:

All you have to do is watch the team perform and you see why Riley is a .500 coach. He doesn't pay any attention to details that equal wins. If he did we wouldn't have all the false starts, fair catches  (are you watching that Johnny) and crap that equals losing football. I read we are 10th in the big 10 in recruiting so  just because we have a crap load of offers out there doesn't mean players are coming here. Wins bring players, not smiles.

I knew it was a load of BS when he brought up our awesome punt returns.   So if Johnny's opinion is for sale, who is paying for it and are we being set up for major disappointment?