This is it.

I have mentioned this in responses in other threads, but I want to get other opinions.

I truly believe this next hire, be it this year (hopefully), or later, will be Nebraska's last shot to climb the ladder again. Another failure and apathy will set in. The sellout streak would end, people will care less and younger fans won't gravitate toward being fans. If the fan support starts to dwindle, the last remaining advantage NU has begins to erode.

• Plus1 3

Apathy has already set in.

The sellout streak won't last forever anyway. TVs are cheap and great.

People already care less. Kids wear Oregon and GS Warriors gear to school.

Fan support can dwindle but the B1G money won't dry up for a long time...

Fire/Hire/Fire/Hire could potentially go on for the next 30 years and who knows, we finally get lucky again. This isn't our last chance, and there is no way the people in charge think of it like that.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Sparker said:

Fire/Hire/Fire/Hire could potentially go on for the next 30 years and who knows, we finally get lucky again. This isn't our last chance, and there is no way the people in charge think of it like that.

Is there a budding rivalry between the Warriors and Cornhuskers that I don't know about? :D

I agree, "last chance" is way to definitive in this situation. Nebraska is, and always will be just one hire away from getting back to our rightful place (as Moos would say). I don't expect the sellout streak to end anytime soon, especially if Frost is the hire.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Sparker said:

I can confirm. Just graduated high school last year, some people care a lot about the huskers like me and we talked about the team almost every day but most people couldnt care less, even a lot of the football players at my high school (played my freshman year can also confirm this). Most kids will say they are husker fans there but aren't at all passionate about it lol

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I have mentioned this in responses in other threads, but I want to get other opinions.

I truly believe this next hire, be it this year (hopefully), or later, will be Nebraska's last shot to climb the ladder again. Another failure and apathy will set in. The sellout streak would end, people will care less and younger fans won't gravitate toward being fans. If the fan support starts to dwindle, the last remaining advantage NU has begins to erode.

I get where you're coming from, but I don't completely agree. Each failed hire does drop Nebraska another rung or so down the ladder though. So if the next hire doesn't work, I don't think Nebraska has no shot. But it will be even harder to regain the success Nebraska had under Bo and Frank, let alone the real success under Devaney and Osborne. 

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, runningblind said:

Oh my gosh! More hand wringing, more dooms day! Please Stop!  This isn't the last chance, it's simply another opportunity. Good grief! Look how long it took Alabama to get Saban! Look how long it took Oklahoma to get Stoops and the list goes on.  We have a fantastic opportunity to hire an amazing coach as we appear to have an AD who knows what he's about. I don't mean to dismiss your concerns but let's be a little more realistic. I've been watching football for awhile.  It appears to me to be fairly cyclic.  While it may take us longer (or no time at all if we get the coach we are all hoping for!) we WILL get a coach that will help restore our football program. Even if Scott comes home, it will take some time for him to get organized. I hope we can be patient enough to allow him that time and not drop off a cliff if he doesn't get us to a National Championship his first year.  So please, let's put the brakes on the dramatics.  This really could've been put on the Scott Frost mega thread. Why you felt you had to create a new thread for this is beyond me. (No offense intended . You are entitled to your opinion of course.)

• Plus1 1

I think this hire goes a long way in making us relevant quickly.  The farther removed from the spotlight, the harder it will be to get the top flight kids to come here.  Get a great HC and staff with a vision and the ability to out said vision together i.e. recruiting, development, scheme, system, culture etc and we right the ship.  

I just feel that we have been "dormant" much longer than a lot of programs who were once on top and now looking up from the bottom...

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

Oh my gosh! More hand wringing, more dooms day! Please Stop!  This isn't the last chance, it's simply another opportunity. Good grief! Look how long it took Alabama to get Saban! Look how long it took Oklahoma to get Stoops and the list goes on.  We have a fantastic opportunity to hire an amazing coach as we appear to have an AD who knows what he's about. I don't mean to dismiss your concerns but let's be a little more realistic. I've been watching football for awhile.  It appears to me to be fairly cyclic.  While it may take us longer (or no time at all if we get the coach we are all hoping for!) we WILL get a coach that will help restore our football program. Even if Scott comes home, it will take some time for him to get organized. I hope we can be patient enough to allow him that time and not drop off a cliff if he doesn't get us to a National Championship his first year.  So please, let's put the brakes on the dramatics.  This really could've been put on the Scott Frost mega thread. Why you felt you had to create a new thread for this is beyond me. (No offense intended . You are entitled to your opinion of course.)

This isn't doomsday just to be negative! :D Nor is this about Frost specifically, hence the new thread. This is my realisitic view with the current state of college football, and the lack of advantages at Nebraska.  The further we get from relevance, talking 20+ years now if we fail another hire, the more likely it is it will not happen.

Alabama and Oklahoma have huge recruiting bases and inherent advantages over Nebraska. The fact that we were so good for so long was partly due to partial qualifiers/scholarship limits, pioneering strength training, and coaching. Two of those three are gone and we have yet to replicate the third.

I would argue that your pie in the sky viewpoint that we WILL get this thing restored is the one being unrealisitic. Maybe we will sure, but it is farther from a guarantee than not.  I like to take off my scarlet glasses and take a realisitic look at things.

Agree to disagree.

Edited by runningblind

27 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

Look how long it took Alabama to get Saban! Look how long it took Oklahoma to get Stoops

Alabama had 10 seasons between Stallings and Saban.  Oklahoma had 10 seasons between Switzer and Stoops.  We are at 14 seasons since Solich.  Things could get tougher if we have another coach only last 3-4 years.  I agree with lo country.  We have almost been dormant for too long.

I think that's a vote for Frost.  I think he might be our best shot at longevity and stability.

11 minutes ago, runningblind said:

This isn't doomsday just to be negative! :D This is my realisitic view with the current state of college football, and the lack of advantages at Nebraska.  The further we get from relevance, talking 25+ years now if we fail another hire, the more likely it is it will not happen.

Alabama and Oklahoma have huge recruiting bases and inherent advantages over Nebraska. The fact that we were so good for so long was partly due to partial qualifiers/scholarship limits, pioneering strength training, and coaching. Two of those three are gone and we have yet to replicate the third.

I would argue that your pie in the sky viewpoint that we WILL get this thing restored is the one being unrealisitic. Maybe we will sure, but it is farther from a guarantee than not.  I like to take off my scarlet glasses and take a realisitic look at things.

Agree to disagree.

Agree to disagree. I’m sorry but the dramatics were unnecessary. What you wrote just now was well thought out and calm. However, your prior post was somewhat hysterical. I also disagree that you were being ‘realistc’  That you posted these same thoughts in various places on the board just to get different opinions was telling. But I believe you took off your scarlet colored glasses in your response to me and gave a better explanation of your thoughts. Good show. And yes ‘we will for sure’ get this football program issue resolved. I’m also sure Alabama and Oklahoma would disagree with you. All that talent but it took a good coach to make the difference. Texas is a great example of that too. So the recruiting point is invalid. Look at what Scott Frost has done at his program at UCF! Do you think he has the advantages Nebraska has? Ah, no- he’s just a dang good coach. The strength training is also a situation we can fix so I would say that you just need to follow your calm self as you are much more credible although not as entertaining 

mans continue to post your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to dialogue. I appreciate it. (Oh btw if my thoughts are ‘pie in the sky’ then I’m in very good company. :))

21 minutes ago, WhatDoIKnow said:

Alabama had 10 seasons between Stallings and Saban.  Oklahoma had 10 seasons between Switzer and Stoops.  We are at 14 seasons since Solich.  Things could get tougher if we have another coach only last 3-4 years.  I agree with lo country.  We have almost been dormant for too long.

I think that's a vote for Frost.  I think he might be our best shot at longevity and stability.

My point in using those two teams is that they eventually found a coach that fit. Even though Bo had his anger issues we consistently had 9 wins per season for the most part when he was here.  Frank was fired for that. (That’s why we couldn’t get a good coach after Frank. Urban Meyer said he was shocked when he heard Nebraska had fired a 9 win coach. That’s why no one would touch the NU job with a 19 foot pole!) So since Bo we’ve only had one coach. Anyway, I’m with you. I think Scott would be an excellent fit. I really hope he comes home. 

Edited by ladyhawke
8 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

I also disagree that you were being ‘realistc’  That you posted these same thoughts in various places on the board just to get different opinions was telling. I’m also sure Alabama and Oklahoma would disagree with you. All that talent but it took a good coach to make the difference. Texas is a great example of that too. So the recruiting point is invalid. Look at what Scott Frost has done at his program at UCF!

I genuinely wanted to discuss the topic, and did not get responses in the other threads, so I posted one to get them, so thank you.

OU, Bama, Texas, and yes UCF all have tons of talent right at their doorstep, that was part of my point in stating some of Nebraska's disadvantages. I agree with you that the right coach makes all the difference,  but I am saying it is much harder now than in 1990 to get taleneted kids here.

My point about the strength training is we used to be the only ones doing it well for a long time. Now everyone does it. If we do it poorly, like now, it only magnifies things.

It is my genuine view that, if we go another coaching cycle of 4-5+ years and stay mediocre that it probably won't happen. That would be 20 years since Frank, and 25 since Tom. That is just too long.

I don't agree that a view that isn't what you believe has to be labeled as "dramatic" or "unrealisitic".  I am trying to be level headed here and take an objective big picture view! :D

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I genuinely wanted to discuss the topic, and did not get responses in the other threads, so I posted one to get them, so thank you.

OU, Bama, Texas, and yes UCF all have tons of talent right at their doorstep, that was part of my point in stating some of Nebraska's disadvantages. I agree with you that the right coach makes all the difference,  but I am saying it is much harder now than in 1990 to get taleneted kids here.

My point about the strength training is we used to be the only ones doing it well for a long time. Now everyone does it. If we do it poorly, like now, it only magnifies things.

It is my genuine view that, if we go another coaching cycle of 4-5+ years and stay mediocre that it probably won't happen. That would be 20 years since Frank, and 25 since Tom. That is just too long.

I don't agree that a view that isn't what you believe has to be labeled as "dramatic" or "unrealisitic".  I am trying to be level headed here and take an objective big picture view! :D

Don't really agree with this because you have to look at teams in our own division. Even if we do go way downhill and become a very mediocre program and brand, we will always be able to recruit a top 50-60 class and most teams in our division do the same. The right coach and system can develop those type of classes into division titles. If we start doing that you see the train start rolling back in the right direction to where we could consistently be top 4 in the conference recruiting pecking order with a nice gap between us and 5. After that it's all about developing that talent to compete with OSU and Michigan who will likely have more (recruiting)star studded rosters no matter what. 

• Plus1 1