This is it.

11 hours ago, Sparker said:

Apathy has already set in.

The sellout streak won't last forever anyway. TVs are cheap and great.

People already care less. Kids wear Oregon and GS Warriors gear to school.

Fan support can dwindle but the B1G money won't dry up for a long time...

Fire/Hire/Fire/Hire could potentially go on for the next 30 years and who knows, we finally get lucky again. This isn't our last chance, and there is no way the people in charge think of it like that.

Agree with some of your points.  B1G money?  I think in the long run, choosing money over all else is going to be what dooms this program.  So, I would also think that now is the time to get the coaching thing figured out.  To me that money from the B1G means nothing if we are not winning games  against those high Powered teams in this conference (Pennst, Michigan, OhiosT, and Wisky).  Money is great, but look at Texas.  Texas the richest program in the nation, and we still have more NC in the last 50 years than they do.  So is that B1G money worth losing credibility over?  Tradition?  So far it hasn't been.......

23 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Don't really agree with this because you have to look at teams in our own division. Even if we do go way downhill and become a very mediocre program and brand, we will always be able to recruit a top 50-60 class and most teams in our division do the same. The right coach and system can develop those type of classes into division titles. If we start doing that you see the train start rolling back in the right direction to where we could consistently be top 4 in the conference recruiting pecking order with a nice gap between us and 5. After that it's all about developing that talent to compete with OSU and Michigan who will likely have more (recruiting)star studded rosters no matter what. 

If you haven't noticed, were already a very mediocre program and trending downward.  50-60 in recruiting won't win the West Division at all.  Were in the 20's and 30's now and can't compete with Wisky and Iowa on most years.  We have to be Top 20 at worst and maybe even Top 15 to get back into contention for any type of conference crowns.  Settling for 50th best, thats settling for Riley and what he is doing now.  Pelini was better than 50th best!  

• Plus1 1

Nebraska has a lot going for it that keeps it in the spotlight, and will keep it in the spotlight for decades to come. Granted, those decades turn into 4 decades and we may be looking at a Minnesota Golden Gopher situation, but for a long time to come Nebraska has it's brand of being a dominant force for many decades, it has the very passionate fan support, it has the B1G money, and it is the only major sport brand in the state. That is a lot of things to keep the Nebraska brand and floating around.

And just like Oklahoma did with Stoops, Nebraska just needs to find that one right coach, to get things going again. And to be honest, think about if Nebraska ever gets back to competing for titles how much more powerful this fanbase will become? I was always around for the late 80's to 90's success, but this fan base was spoiled for several decades of success and lots of wins, it is the reason Nebraska is what it is today. Sometimes we grow stronger and better when we hit rock bottom, so I can't wait to see Husker nation when we get good again.

• Plus1 1
51 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I genuinely wanted to discuss the topic, and did not get responses in the other threads, so I posted one to get them, so thank you.

OU, Bama, Texas, and yes UCF all have tons of talent right at their doorstep, that was part of my point in stating some of Nebraska's disadvantages. I agree with you that the right coach makes all the difference,  but I am saying it is much harder now than in 1990 to get taleneted kids here.

My point about the strength training is we used to be the only ones doing it well for a long time. Now everyone does it. If we do it poorly, like now, it only magnifies things.

It is my genuine view that, if we go another coaching cycle of 4-5+ years and stay mediocre that it probably won't happen. That would be 20 years since Frank, and 25 since Tom. That is just too long.

I don't agree that a view that isn't what you believe has to be labeled as "dramatic" or "unrealisitic".  I am trying to be level headed here and take an objective big picture view! :D

Thanks again for dialoguing with me! This was a great post by the way and now I understand why you chose to create a single thread. I’m sorry that you didn’t feel that your voice wasn’t being heard or taken seriously. 

I get your second and third points but Bo did have several 9 win seasons while he was here. Frankie got fired for that. That’s why we’ve had such a hard time getting good coaches. I remember Urban Meyer saying he was shocked that a 9 win coach would be fired. I think that’s why we couldn’t get s decent coach after Frank although Bo tried. So my perspective is that it’s only been since Bo.

I totally get your S&T perspective. 

I think we are both passionate Husker fans    I think our semantics may be different but we both want what’s best for NU. Please know if you were in the room with me I would be sharing all of this in a cajoling friendly manner as if I were talking to my brother. After all we are all family here! 

20 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

If you haven't noticed, were already a very mediocre program and trending downward.  50-60 in recruiting won't win the West Division at all.  Were in the 20's and 30's now and can't compete with Wisky and Iowa on most years.  We have to be Top 20 at worst and maybe even Top 15 to get back into contention for any type of conference crowns.  Settling for 50th best, thats settling for Riley and what he is doing now.  Pelini was better than 50th best!  

Wow man you completely missed the point of my post. First of all, under normal circumstances, Riley would be top 30 pretty much every year just like Pelini and most anyone who has coached here. The next coach should be able to recruit in the top 30 regularly just off of our brand power, which is still relatively strong. In the scenario we are discussing, let's assume we make the wrong hire for the next 3 coaches and now we are year to year on whether we will be bowl eligible, we recruit at the same pace as the Wisconsin, Iowa's and Minnesotas of the world (40-60) because we have now been mediocre at this level for over 10 years. At that point a good coach would be forced to develop that talent into a winner in order to improve the talent coming in. It's not like this hasn't been done at Iowa, at Wisconsin, at Michigan State. That's not the path to success for us right now but even in the most dire of situations for our program, there will always still be a path to the top. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

Agree with some of your points.  B1G money?  I think in the long run, choosing money over all else is going to be what dooms this program.  So, I would also think that now is the time to get the coaching thing figured out.  To me that money from the B1G means nothing if we are not winning games  against those high Powered teams in this conference (Pennst, Michigan, OhiosT, and Wisky).  Money is great, but look at Texas.  Texas the richest program in the nation, and we still have more NC in the last 50 years than they do.  So is that B1G money worth losing credibility over?  Tradition?  So far it hasn't been.......

I don’t think I really made it clear what I meant about the money being there. Even if fan support does die down (more), the administration will still ha e plenty of money to keep the coaching carousel moving until they get lucky... hopefully.

I’m not suggesting that as long as they have money “who cares?” Just that they can keep the program competitive in some aspects such as facilities, coach pay, etc. 

That's why the next hire is so important.  It has to be Frost or a big out of the box splash.  Chip Kelly may fit the latter.  

With Frost you get a young guy who the fanbase will give a lot of support and time.  I think Frost is the best candidate to get a long tenure at Nebraska due to his age and that he is one of our own.  He could withstand a couple of bad years and would give stability to recruiting as no chance he would be let go for first I would say 6-7 years...with success Frost is your guy for 15-20 years.  That is very appealing because Frost won't treat NU as a stepping stone.  He wins here and he is legendary in college football world.  He would get a long time to right this ship and rebuild the program.

If we don't get Frost (would be HUGE loss) then we have to get like a Chip Kelley that would again give us national credibility.  Sorry, not into Matt Campbell...guy is doing nice job but he loses here and there would calls that we again got this wrong.    

Frank nor Bo were fired for wins or losses.  Frank has never been approached by a major player, some reason.  Pelini never will be.  Reasons beyond football control their futures.

We are not playing in a conference where we are one of the big two giants, and the rest are dwarfs.   That scenario no longer exists in college football. 

For this program to win, it is going to take great coaching, and even better recruiting.

The Baby Boomers are dying off and as they go, so will the sell out record.  A very large number on this board, some claiming to be the biggest fans, say they don't want to attend games, would rather watch it on the big screen at home or at a bar.

Some people are putting so much faith in Coach Frost, if he doesn't come here for what ever reason, will it be a death blow to a lot of fans that seem to be on the edge?

1 hour ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Frank wasn't fired for only winning 9 games. Petersen's comment to Frank during the Kansas St game is a big part of why Frank was fired. Petersen told Solich something along the lines of "You lost this game 4 years ago". A direct reference to Frank's recruiting.

You were absolutely correct. The nine wins wasn’t the only reason Frank was fired however it was the most visible reason and it was the issue that most sports media commented on during that time. I still remember Urban Meyer making that comment and most of Husker Nation believed that’s why we didn’t get a very good coach the second time. Nobody wanted to come to Nebraska if the bar was nine wind or  more.  Yeah there were several reasons that Frank got fired makes me sad though he was a good coach

2 hours ago, ladyhawke said:

Thanks again for dialoguing with me! This was a great post by the way and now I understand why you chose to create a single thread. I’m sorry that you didn’t feel that your voice wasn’t being heard or taken seriously. 

I get your second and third points but Bo did have several 9 win seasons while he was here. Frankie got fired for that. That’s why we’ve had such a hard time getting good coaches. I remember Urban Meyer saying he was shocked that a 9 win coach would be fired. I think that’s why we couldn’t get s decent coach after Frank although Bo tried. So my perspective is that it’s only been since Bo.

I totally get your S&T perspective. 

I think we are both passionate Husker fans    I think our semantics may be different but we both want what’s best for NU. Please know if you were in the room with me I would be sharing all of this in a cajoling friendly manner as if I were talking to my brother. After all we are all family here! 

It's all good :D

54 minutes ago, Sparker said:

Who's Peterson?

Beats me! What's with this lady who keeps spelling names wrong? :lol:. Pederson . There.  Fixed it for ya! :)

20 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It's all good :D

Yes it is! Thanks again!  Btw do you feel you had better responses to your observations this time? I hope so.