Mario Goodrich Comments???

55 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You pay him millions of dollars to GO AWAY!!!  Who cares about the money, and how it's spent.  Yes, he's well-liked and a nice and classy guy, but if you kept him around the athletic program, it would hurt the next coach.  You would have players that were brought to the University to Riley, and who probably think that Riley should still be their coach, and if Riley is kept around they may want to be loyal to their coach.

The University needs to move on from Riley.  It's been a failed 3-year experiment, and MOVE ON!!!

Maybe he could work in Old Father Hall or be an RA?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, NWHuskerfan said:

It's recruiting people.  The kid is what 18?  They hear what they want and people say what they want to hear.  I wouldn't put much weight into it.  

This, and the fact that no coach is going to tell a kid "Yeah, I'm getting fired. I just had you waste one of your OVs for kicks." 

No matter what this recruit heard/was told on his trip, it is not an indication of what will happen with the Nebraska coaching job.  Period.

18 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Maybe whatever that bogus position Devaney has? It could be a way to keep him around until his contract is up and somehow UNL doesn't have to pay his buyout.

I don't get upset with coaches' buyouts.  It's not my money, so it doesn't bother me at all.  I am ready for Riley to head back to Oregon and I can forget about his entire tenure at NU.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I understand your point... but if we have to pay him millions anyway why not get something out of the pay.  He is a well liked guy nationally that could certainly help in some capacity.  I'm trying hard to understand why people can't see that some kind of position change would be beneficial to the overall athletic program.  What could it hurt?    

I do understand your point of view but there is a very good chance that Coach Riley dies not want to stay in Nebraska. Why would you want to be reminded daily that you weren’t successful here?  I’m wondering if both he and his wife had their ‘adventure’ and are ready to move on to the next one.  With the buy out he would be comfortably well off and could do whatyhe wants. I’m curious to see if he returns to Corvallis. 

1 minute ago, ladyhawke said:

I do understand your point of view but there is a very good chance that Coach Riley dies not want to stay in Nebraska. Why would you want to be reminded daily that you weren’t successful here?  I’m wondering if both he and his wife had their ‘adventure’ and are ready to move on to the next one.  With the buy out he would be comfortably well off and could do whatyhe wants. I’m curious to see if he returns to Corvallis. 

Mike is going to ask Moos if he and Dee can use the NU private plane back to Corvallis, and will be able to spend the holidays back there.  Corvallis is their home.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Mike is going to ask Moos if he and Dee can use the NU private plane back to Corvallis, and will be able to spend the holidays back there.  Corvallis is their home.

Yes, it is their home.

No one really know what Coach Riley wants to do. He has had a tough year. He looks so downtrodden. Why would he want to stay here? Even if they created a position for him there is no guarantee that he will accept it. Why should he when he can get a large buyout and go back home?

Just now, ladyhawke said:

Yes, it is their home.

No one really know what Coach Riley wants to do. He has had a tough year. He looks so downtrodden. Why would he want to stay here? Even if they created a position for him there is no guarantee that he will accept it. Why should he when he can get a large buyout and go back home?

There is no reason for the Rileys to want to stay in Lincoln.  They will go back to Oregon and enjoy retirement.  They can enjoy their golden years, give their Nebraska money to their extended family or charities, and their life will be great.

A decision to keep or release Riley has not been made, according to Moos.

"I'm supporting Mike and his coaches to keep our focus where it needs to be," Moos said, "and that is to finish strong and hopefully get into a bowl game."

Moos' comments come on the heels of an overtime loss to Northwestern, which had several recruits in attendance on official visits. One of those recruits was longtime Husker commit Mario Goodrich, who told Husker Online he received assurance during his visit that Riley "is not going to get fired."

But the decision to keep or drop Riley has not been made, according to Moos, and the A.D. continues to assess the program. Tuesday, he shared his thoughts on what he's seen thus far from the football team.

"Sometimes very good," Moos said. "Probably not tremendously consistent, and that's what any coach is looking for. I've been impressed with the defense at times. We've got some very good players offensively. You look for consistency, and putting that last nail in the coffin is always important, too, and I know that was a real frustration for our players and coaches and fans."

LINK

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, Enhance said:

You look for consistency, and putting that last nail in the coffin is always important, too, and I know that was a real frustration for our players and coaches and fans."

Moos put out a coded message. Decoded: The game was frustrating and was the last nail in Riley's coffin.

Normally you would say "close out a game".  Unless you were talking in code.

Just now, 4skers89 said:

Moos put out a coded message. Decoded: The game was frustrating and was the last nail in Riley's coffin.

Normally you would say "close out a game".  Unless you were talking in code.

Or, and I know this is a stretch, but the coach that isn't yet fired hasn't actually yet been fired.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Again, Moos (and everyone involved in the program) has to say that or the recruiting class will collapse.  None of those words mean anything about Riley's future employment.

That was my intent in posting it.

Goodrich was told what he needed to hear in order to keep things on track. Similarly, Moos is not going to say Riley is losing his job.

• Plus1 1

Years ago, me and some college friends had a dog.  The dog got out and a few days later we called the Humane Society...they said a dog matching the description was there and we could come and pick up our dog, Wallace.

We got there and it turns out the dog had been hit by a car and was dead and frozen.  

They never told us on the phone the Dog was dead...but it didn't change the fact that it was.

• Plus1 2