Gary Patterson

jessica0

11 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I heard about Mack Brown, but Stoops? Gundy?

I believe Stoops was more in play around the time Osborne retired. The version of the rumor I heard was that Byrne wanted to interview him, but Osborne put his foot down about Solich getting the job. 

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I believe Stoops was more in play around the time Osborne retired. The version of the rumor I heard was that Byrne wanted to interview him, but Osborne put his foot down about Solich getting the job. 

BB # 1 pick for the job was Mack Brown.  He was still at North Carolina at the time.  

I'm realizing more and more how much Nebraska fans really do just want wins more than anything. Losing hurts, and there's been enough of an absence of greatness that we're on the whole just about ready to do anything to get back to it. Popular recurring proposals over the years have included throwing more money at the problem, embracing cheating "like all the other schools do", and of course, fire [coach/AD/chancellor]. It's funny where our priorities really lie, but at least we recite the Gameday Prayer every Saturday.

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I'm realizing more and more how much Nebraska fans really do just want wins more than anything. Losing hurts, and there's been enough of an absence of greatness that we're on the whole just about ready to do anything to get back to it. Popular recurring proposals over the years have included throwing more money at the problem, embracing cheating "like all the other schools do", and of course, fire [coach/AD/chancellor]. It's funny where our priorities really lie, but at least we recite the Gameday Prayer every Saturday.

When it comes down to sports, it's mainly about the wins & losses. It goes for the players, coaches, and fans.  While many of us will always support the team and the players, we also want "our teams" to win.  If you think Nebraska fans are different, you are fooling yourself.  Yes, Tom Osborne wrote a book titled "More Than Winning" in 1985, but that book is a lot easier to write coming from a football coach who won National Championships as an assistant coach, and had spent the last 10 years as a fairly successful football coach at Nebraska, and had just missed out on the National Championship in 1981, 1982, and 1983.  It's also a lot easier to clap for the other team when they are walking off the field at Memorial Stadium dejected after losing a game.  Nebraskans were able to say they cared about more than just wins or losses when NU had the highest win percentage in college football for over 30 years (after 1970).

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 3