The Democrat Utopia

16 minutes ago, teachercd said:

How dare you think it is okay to give free school based on merit!  HOW DARE YOU!

Also, is Minor League Ball both as amazing and as boring as it seems?

Yes and of course Yes.  Center field during the 7th inning stretch is the greatest moment ever.  Or at 3rd base.  And Bus rides get exhausting very quickly.  And you better know some spanish

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

27 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What about...ehem...the ladies?? 

Lol too easy.  You can cut to the chase and be very rude

Chick: "I'm thinking about being a vegetarian.."

Me: "That's cool.  Do you give head?"

Plus winter ball in Puerto Rico was amazing ;)

• Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Everyone knows and understands that there are ways to go to college for cheap. That's not really in dispute.

The argument has nothing to do with that, really, though. It's a question of how you feel about masses of people who were, as kids given bad information, manipulated, or ignorant and surrounded by ignorance enough to make a poor decision that will hang over their heads for decades or maybe for life. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Everyone knows and understands that there are ways to go to college for cheap. That's not really in dispute.

The argument has nothing to do with that, really, though. It's a question of how you feel about masses of people who were, as kids given bad information, manipulated, or ignorant and surrounded by ignorance enough to make a poor decision that will hang over their heads for decades or maybe for life. 

Ok, who tells a kid to go to college without scholarships and finance 100% of it without ever getting even a summer job to help pay for it?

Are you saying masses of kids have been told to do this?  

Ive honestly never heard anyone tell a kid this. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok, who tells a kid to go to college without scholarships and finance 100% of it without ever getting even a summer job to help pay for it?

I don't know how different it is from school to school but we do the exact opposite of that.  My school is constantly sending out info on scholarships and other free money things...It is a non stop bombardment from 10th grade on about how to save money on college. 

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's the opposite extreme end of the spectrum from "go to a cheap local school or online and pay your way through with zero debt".

Most situations are in the grey between those two.

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

That's the opposite extreme end of the spectrum from "go to a cheap local school or online and pay your way through with zero debt".

Most situations are in the grey between those two.

Ok, so there is zero debt and $100,000 debt. So the grey area is $30,000-60,000?

And they can’t pay that off and they saddled with huge debt the rest of their lives?

Still don’t okie how someone comes out with that much debt for under grad…..but ok. 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok, so there is zero debt and $100,000 debt. So the grey area is $30,000-60,000?

And they can’t pay that off and they saddled with huge debt the rest of their lives?

Still don’t okie how someone comes out with that much debt for under grad…..but ok. 

I think we have both shown that it’s more than possible to get through school without “life crushing debt”. As a matter of fact, we’ve shown ways to get through with school with very minimal debt.  Others have shown ways to get through school with life crushing debt.  At this point it seems to be a personal choice on which path to choose.    

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

I think we have both shown that it’s more than possible to get through school without “life crushing debt”. As a matter of fact, we’ve shown ways to get through with school with very minimal debt.  Others have shown ways to get through school with life crushing debt.  At this point it seems to be a personal choice on which path to choose.    

And it shouldn’t be on the tax payers if you make the wrong choice. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

The other issue is, if that education isn’t worth going $30k to $60k in debt and it doesn’t provide you with a job that can fairly easily pay it back in a reasonable timeframe, is it worth it all? I’d say no. IMO there is way too much made about the importance of getting that education. I blame a lot of employers for requiring a 4 year degree for jobs that quite frankly don’t need a degree. I’d say the vast majority of jobs could be performed just fine by a person with no more than the desire to learn and a little OJT which they are going to need anyway.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

The other issue is, if that education isn’t worth going $30k to $60k in debt and it doesn’t provide you with a job that can fairly easily pay it back in a reasonable timeframe, is it worth it all? I’d say no. IMO there is way too much made about the importance of getting that education. I blame a lot of employers for requiring a 4 year degree for jobs that quite frankly don’t need a degree. I’d say the vast majority of jobs could be performed just fine by a person with no more than the desire to learn and a little OJT which they are going to need anyway.

So, as you guys know I am an amazing teacher that other teachers envy, clearly that is not the point...but we do always laugh at the lame a$$ first year teacher that went to Creighton...morons. 

• Haha 2