The Democrat Utopia

1 minute ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It'll never not be funny that a border wall is where people suddenly want the government to be fiscally responsible. It doesn't matter to me if it ever gets built, because it isn't going to solve the problem completely. Though, I think it'd be a reasonable deterrent.

No doubt, some people feel that way.

I wonder how people square the thought of a wall being environmentally damaging but 1,000,000 super large windmills are not?  

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It'll never not be funny that a border wall is where people suddenly want the government to be fiscally responsible. It doesn't matter to me if it ever gets built, because it isn't going to solve the problem completely. Though, I think it'd be a reasonable deterrent.

No doubt, some people feel that way.

That's a weird strawman. Nobody has ever said the only wasteful thing the government does is build a border wall. Where did you pull that one out of?  :lol:

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's a weird strawman. Nobody has ever said the only wasteful thing the government does is build a border wall. Where did you pull that one out of?  :lol:

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It wasn't an argument for, or against the wall. It was just a humorous observation.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

The "funny" thing about the wall is that it was a massive and expensive piece of engineering that would need to be supported forever by massive and expensive logistical support, and it was being promoted by a President and Party that wants to run America more like a business. The border wall was never subjected to a cost:benefit analysis the way any business would demand before making the investment, and for some reason Republicans didn't notice it was the very definition of Big Government Social Engineering and taxpayer funded boondoggle. Even a cursory cost;benefit study showed the concept was flawed at the outset. If you want "funny" check out all the photos and videos of people scampering over the wall within seconds, just for fun. 

• Plus1 5

4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I wonder how people square the thought of a wall being environmentally damaging but 1,000,000 super large windmills are not?  

Do the 1,000,000 super large windmills offer us anything? Say, in the vein of a cleaner version of something else that hurts our environment? 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3

On 12/26/2021 at 1:10 PM, JJ Husker said:

I don’t have a good answer. I would have to see something proposed. For arguments sake, maybe an amount that is based on a low cost education that would be commonly available to anyone.

I previously posted my suggestion that we could forgive the amount of a public state school based on the cost for that year. Or some proportion of that cost could be forgiven. Does that good like a reasonable solution?

On 12/26/2021 at 5:11 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Why?  What if I go buy a 500,000 house and can’t afford the payments?  Why is that different than going to school for 4 years, not getting a job to help pay and not figuring out how to live cheap…..then expecting it all forgiven and someone else pay for it?

Some one already pointed out that houses can be disposed of by selling them or in bankruptcy. Neither of which is an option for student loans.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I previously posted my suggestion that we could forgive the amount of a public state school based on the cost for that year. Or some proportion of that cost could be forgiven. Does that good like a reasonable solution?

It certainly is more reasonable than blanket forgiveness of whatever amount of debt. Still my preference would be to take steps to reduce the cost of a college education rather than wiping away debt people freely chose to take on.

Tell me this, do you think it’s also reasonable to retroactively reimburse people who have already paid back their schooling debt? My daughter graduated last December. Should she qualify for funding even though we cleared her debt? How about her parents who successfully repaid their student loans many years ago?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

It certainly is more reasonable than blanket forgiveness of whatever amount of debt. Still my preference would be to take steps to reduce the cost of a college education rather than wiping away debt people freely chose to take on.

I'm onboard with fixing education costs going forward, but what do we do about the millions with student debt?

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Tell me this, do you think it’s also reasonable to retroactively reimburse people who have already paid back their schooling debt? My daughter graduated last December. Should she qualify for funding even though we cleared her debt? How about her parents who successfully repaid their student loans many years ago?

Yes, I'd be fine with that. We could do a one-time retroactive reimburse. Maybe do a proportional amount over the last 20 years and everything over 20 years gets nothing, so we're not reimbursing back when costs were much lower. I'm open to other suggestions.

13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm onboard with fixing education costs going forward, but what do we do about the millions with student debt?

Yes, I'd be fine with that. We could do a one-time retroactive reimburse. Maybe do a proportional amount over the last 20 years and everything over 20 years gets nothing, so we're not reimbursing back when costs were much lower. I'm open to other suggestions.

Reimburse the older debt/college grads first...and then slowly work down (or I guess up) the list to the more recent ones. 

There is this weird idea that it was "cheaper" back then...my mom made 40 dollars a week at her first job in the states...

• Fire 1
13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Ironically, the only people who would not benefit and who would actually being paying for it would be older folks and those who chose to not go to college. Seems a little counterintuitive.

• Plus1 2