The Democrat Utopia

21 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s a bad idea to donate to any political candidate.  Complete waste of money.  

It's a bad idea to donate to any organization unless you vet them to see how they actually spend their money. Some have very good records of doing on-the-ground work, but a lot of times your money goes to people in charge of raising more money. 

• Plus1 1

Someone on this board once asked “what is cancel culture anyway?”.

I think this is why I am interested in the Joe Rogan Spotify story. Maybe we will watch it unfold.

John Stewart’s thoughts. he felt like Rogan was someone who could be engaged.

I believe Stewart is considered left of center.

https://news.yahoo.com/jon-stewart-said-musicians-neil-050201379.html

“I think there are dishonest bad actors in the world and identifying those is so much more important to me," he said, adding: "Don't leave. Don't abandon. Don't censor. Engage."

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, nic said:

Someone on this board once asked “what is cancel culture anyway?”.

I think this is why I am interested in the Joe Rogan Spotify story. Maybe we will watch it unfold.

John Stewart’s thoughts. he felt like Rogan was someone who be be engaged.

I believe Stewart is considered left of center.

https://news.yahoo.com/jon-stewart-said-musicians-neil-050201379.html

“I think there are dishonest bad actors in the world and identifying those is so much more important to me," he said, adding: "Don't leave. Don't abandon. Don't censor. Engage."

How is this different than how society has existed since the beginning?  If someone doesn't agree with someone or is offended by what they say or do, they disassociate with them.  Ever since TV has been invented, advertisers have decided to advertise on a show or not based sometimes on if they want to be associated with that show.  If that show did something they didn't like, they would pull their ads.  This isn't something new.

Some companies loved being associated with advertising during the Howard Stern show.  Others didn't want to be associated so they didn't.  Others advertised on it till they realized what it was and pulled ads.

What's new is types of media that has people like artists that can pull their content from platforms.  But, it really isn't different than what has happened in the past.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

How is this different than how society has existed since the beginning?  If someone doesn't agree with someone or is offended by what they say or do, they disassociate with them.  Ever since TV has been invented, advertisers have decided to advertise on a show or not based sometimes on if they want to be associated with that show.  If that show did something they didn't like, they would pull their ads.  This isn't something new.

Some companies loved being associated with advertising during the Howard Stern show.  Others didn't want to be associated so they didn't.  Others advertised on it till they realized what it was and pulled ads.

What's new is types of media that has people like artists that can pull their content from platforms.  But, it really isn't different than what has happened in the past.

I think people are more easily offended today than they were back in the day. Social media has heightened this sensitivity and joined in based on their world view. they have the ability to shut people down they disagree with under the guise or breaking the rules.The news media are the cheerleaders. 

I read a story about American truckers (130000) who were going to join the Canadian truckers in their protest by driving across country from Cali to DC. Facebook shut down the orgs page and personal pages of the organizers. The rule they supposedly broke was that they were somehow related to Qanon.

I am not sure if the claim is true, but I doubt that many truckers are involved with Qanon. 

it just shows the power of social media giants. If they have a political bias… one way or the other… it’s bad. I am with AOC. Break them up!:cowbell:

• Plus1 1

32 minutes ago, nic said:

I think people are more easily offended today than they were back in the day. Social media has heightened this sensitivity and joined in based on their world view. they have the ability to shut people down they disagree with under the guise or breaking the rules.The news media are the cheerleaders. 

I read a story about American truckers (130000) who were going to join the Canadian truckers in their protest by driving across country from Cali to DC. Facebook shut down the orgs page and personal pages of the organizers. The rule they supposedly broke was that they were somehow related to Qanon.

I am not sure if the claim is true, but I doubt that many truckers are involved with Qanon. 

it just shows the power of social media giants. If they have a political bias… one way or the other… it’s bad. I am with AOC. Break them up!:cowbell:

I think you give FB too much credit.  Their motives (if story is true) is most likely based on the idea of “we can’t sell ads for companies that can’t ship products” rather than politics.

And yes, FB and other giants like Google have way too much power.  And we all not only gave that power to them, we actually paid them to take it!

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, funhusker said:

I think you give FB too much credit.  Their motives (if story is true) is most likely based on the idea of “we can’t sell ads for companies that can’t ship products” rather than politics.

And yes, FB and other giants like Google have way too much power.  And we all not only gave that power to them, we actually paid them to take it!

Yes we gave it and paid for it.:thumbs

4 hours ago, nic said:

think people are more easily offended today than they were back in the day.

Really?  It used to be that people were offended just by hearing a cuss word. Tv shows couldn’t even have couples sleep in the same bed….let alone actually talk about sex. 

Betty White’s tv show got canceled because she dared to have a black man on it. 

Can you even imagine the uproar from offended people back then if two gay men dared to kiss on tv?

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Really?  It used to be that people were offended just by hearing a cuss word. Tv shows couldn’t even have couples sleep in the same bed….let alone actually talk about sex. 

Betty White’s tv show got canceled because she dared to have a black man on it. 

Can you even imagine the uproar from offended people back then if two gay men dared to kiss on tv?

the couples shown in bed complaint was before my time but I have a vague memory of it happening in a Woody Alan movie??? and it was a big ‘scandal’. I think I will concede that there were more lines to cross back in the day that people would get upset about if someone crossed them. Maybe people are just as easily offended but the whining, complaining, and calls for ‘justice’ are amplified and more intense due to social media and the 24 hour news cycle. I don’t remember the Betty White show that got cancelled, but she certainly had a great career and was a beloved celebrity. The golden girl. Now people want to destroy others lives and livelihood simply because they disagree with their views. They want to keep them off Twitter and Facebook.

if we have come so far in our tolerance for what used to be controversial topics, why all the angst because some dude on Spotify has opinions about COVID that are wrong or controversial? Sotomayor got criticized for getting COVID facts wrong, but no one suggested she resign. We all just did a face palm and thought she believed some bad information.

The interesting thing about your examples are those complaints came from the conservatives who were like the Church Lady on SNL. The people back then doing the face palms were liberals wondering why the conservatives couldn’t lighten up. Now it seems like it’s the other way around. When  liberals like Stewart and Maher are saying the left has to lighten maybe the AOC types should pay attention before SNL comes up with a new skit for them. 

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Umm…Those tables are inside the gym…

And that’s a barricade?

Kinda makes me want to call bs on this one.

if the teachers put those tables up to barricade the students in the gym...they had to be in the gym with the students to do it.   

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Umm…Those tables are inside the gym…

And that’s a barricade?

Kinda makes me want to call bs on this one.

Hopefully the school district comes out with a statement soon to discredit the story with proof.   Not sure what they are waiting for.   These refutations require a certain timeframe to be done in we are told by the left

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Hopefully the school district comes out with a statement soon to discredit the story with proof.   Not sure what they are waiting for.   These refutations require a certain timeframe to be done in we are told by the left

https://sjvsun.com/news/education/report-oakdale-high-school-students-sequestered-in-gym-for-maskless-protest-of-newsom/

Apparently the school knew they wanted to protest so they allowed them to do it in the gym.  They sent out the email the night before.

• Thanks 1