The Democrat Utopia

3 hours ago, nic said:

the couples shown in bed complaint was before my time but I have a vague memory of it happening in a Woody Alan movie??? and it was a big ‘scandal’. I think I will concede that there were more lines to cross back in the day that people would get upset about if someone crossed them. Maybe people are just as easily offended but the whining, complaining, and calls for ‘justice’ are amplified and more intense due to social media and the 24 hour news cycle. I don’t remember the Betty White show that got cancelled, but she certainly had a great career and was a beloved celebrity. The golden girl. Now people want to destroy others lives and livelihood simply because they disagree with their views. They want to keep them off Twitter and Facebook.

if we have come so far in our tolerance for what used to be controversial topics, why all the angst because some dude on Spotify has opinions about COVID that are wrong or controversial? Sotomayor got criticized for getting COVID facts wrong, but no one suggested she resign. We all just did a face palm and thought she believed some bad information.

The interesting thing about your examples are those complaints came from the conservatives who were like the Church Lady on SNL. The people back then doing the face palms were liberals wondering why the conservatives couldn’t lighten up. Now it seems like it’s the other way around. When  liberals like Stewart and Maher are saying the left has to lighten maybe the AOC types should pay attention before SNL comes up with a new skit for them. 

The Betty White show was her first tv show. She had a black dancer and when she refused to take him off the show, the shoe was cancelled. Her being successful after that, doesn’t matter. It’s an example of what today people call cancel culture. 

Conservatives today do “cancel culture” too. Someone stated somewhere on here about comments on the internet upset about Nebraska basketball wearing uniforms honoring black history month. 

How many times have we heard conservatives say they won’t watch the NFL until the players all stand for the anthem?

It’s the same thing. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If I'm understanding your GOP's new "legitimate discourse" definition, I could get a bunch of my buddies, breakthrough those barricades, and beat the s#!t out of those selfish little pricks putting others at risk. The "good" police would join us!

If you were tough enough, I guess you could.   Everyone has their own choices to make.   

• Plus1 1

Once again I find myself agreeing with Bill Maher. This is starting to worry me, but common ground is good. Zucker should have been fired for bad ratings. He drove CNN into the ground.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bill-maher-cancel-culture-whoopi-goldberg-jeff-zucker-scandals

“Whoopi Goldberg, who, by the way, I hope is still a friend -- we can disagree with each other -- should not be canceled or put off her show, as much as I totally disagree with her crazy statement -- free speech! She should be there! She shouldn't get a timeout!" Maher exclaimed.

“Jeff Zucker, powerful guy, head of CNN resigned, because he's 56 and not married … was having a relationship with a 49-year-old. I think that's age-appropriate, so we got that check for him -- also executive at the company, and he had to resign over that?" Maher asked. "I don't understand this, why a 56-year-old and a 49-year-old people can't have a consensual relationship. I mean, they had been friends for 20 years!" 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

If you were tough enough, I guess you could.   Everyone has their own choices to make.   

Gotta admit, my torn rotator cuff will limit some of my a$$-whoopin, but my antifa and BLM friends will make sure the anti-maskers are given a  legitimate discourse they won't soon forget! 

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We all hope that, Arch. But should the day come, a least we know our antifa/BLM revolt will be judged in the same spirit of political shenanigans as our January 6 brethren. 

We would all be judged at some point once we stop walking on this side of the dirt.  

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, nic said:

Once again I find myself agreeing with Bill Maher. This is starting to worry me, but common ground is good. Zucker should have been fired for bad ratings. He drove CNN into the ground.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bill-maher-cancel-culture-whoopi-goldberg-jeff-zucker-scandals

“Whoopi Goldberg, who, by the way, I hope is still a friend -- we can disagree with each other -- should not be canceled or put off her show, as much as I totally disagree with her crazy statement -- free speech! She should be there! She shouldn't get a timeout!" Maher exclaimed.

“Jeff Zucker, powerful guy, head of CNN resigned, because he's 56 and not married … was having a relationship with a 49-year-old. I think that's age-appropriate, so we got that check for him -- also executive at the company, and he had to resign over that?" Maher asked. "I don't understand this, why a 56-year-old and a 49-year-old people can't have a consensual relationship. I mean, they had been friends for 20 years!" 

Maher continues to lean into "old man angry at cloud" territory with every new headline.

First, his Whoopi Goldberg quote includes what is, at this point, one of the most blatantly lazy misunderstandings or mis-attributed uses of 'free speech' by anyone over the age of 15. Fine to think she shouldn't be suspended from her show, but that has zero to do with free speech.

Second, in relation to Zucker... well, first of all, who said he had to resign? Two anonymous people have claimed he'd be fired if he didn't, and even if that's true, the main point Maher is missing is that the problem isn't their relationship, the problem is he didn't report it to HR. That is required at CNN, as it is required at every company. 

• Plus1 3

Re: Maher's comment on Zucker - we only know he resigned due to what he explained was a consensual relationship, but what we don't know is what else was found in his emails and the investigation that was being done for the Cuomo case(s).  

Yes, they were required to report their relationship to HR, but I think it's very likely that there were far worse things that he was involved with that were found during the investigation.  He resigned for what they uncovered, he acknowledged the relationship as the cause publicly, but my guess is whatever they found would have brought CNN down.  Allowing him to leave under the guise of an undisclosed relationship was a gift to him and to the network.

I mean this is the network that allowed Jeffrey Toobin to come back ... just think how bad something had to be for someone at Zucker's level to be fired?

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

We would all be judged at some point once we stop walking on this side of the dirt.  

I thought I was exaggerating to make a point, but sadly it's not enough exaggeration.

Point being, one of our two political parties — the one you vote for and rationalize — just drew an official line in the dirt. From there, the GOP has zero moral high ground. They are trying to appease the demagogue who inspires their base.

This is really 1932 Germany kinda s#!t, and I really wish that was an exaggeration. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1