The Democrat Utopia

25 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's funny how RFK Jrs most ardent supporters are people who have no intention of voting for RFK Jr. 

Pete can and did run circles around Biden (and the rest) but establishment Ds wanted no part of that so they squashed him.

Any sources for the quoted above?

• Plus1 1
  • Worth a Look 1
28 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Pete can and did run circles around Biden (and the rest) but establishment Ds wanted no part of that so they squashed him.

Any sources for the quoted above?

The establishment Dems asked both Pete and Amy Klobuchar to drop out prior to Super Tuesday so the party could coalesce around Joe Biden and defeat frontrunner Bernie Sanders. They didn't learn on Elizabeth Warren figuring she would take votes from Sanders. Biden only became viable after he won the South Carolina primary. I think if Buttegieg had broken out of that pack, the Dems might have run with him. But Pete wasn't running circles around anyone, otherwise he would have polled better. He did surprisingly well given his liabilities -- probably less around being gay than his resume as a small city mayor.  The establishment Ds most definitely wanted to squash Bernie Sanders. 

The source of my RFK Jr. observation? Well just click on the Tweets and memes and links of the folks advocating for his candidacy, and within seconds you'll find their true leanings. It shouldn't be surprising that Republicans want Democrats to vote for RFK Jr. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Hmmmmm……not very sanctuary city’ish of them.

I think they’re learning they can’t afford it. Denver just closed 2 of their 4 migrant shelters. That’s what caused these comments. They are closing another one in a week, leaving only one. Not sure how much of it has to do strictly with $$ or if it’s also because the weather is beginning to warm up a bit.

• Plus1 2

Just now, JJ Husker said:

I think they’re learning they can’t afford it. Denver just closed 2 of their 4 migrant shelters. That’s what caused these comments. They are closing another one in a week, leaving only one. Not sure how much of it has to do strictly with $$ or if it’s also because the weather is beginning to warm up a bit.

I am sure the financial burden is ramping up.  

What happens when they close up a shelter? 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am sure the financial burden is ramping up.  

What happens when they close up a shelter? 

I’m not sure other than a bunch of people have to find a place to live and possibly get food (I think they also feed them). I have no idea why a city would basically ask for this added expense. I know a lot of the suburbs and counties surrounding Denver don’t want them and are way less hospitable.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m not sure other than a bunch of people have to find a place to live and possibly get food (I think they also feed them). I have no idea why a city would basically ask for this added expense. I know a lot of the suburbs and counties surrounding Denver don’t want them and are way less hospitable.

I think they sign up for it because they think it won't be overwhelming.  But most people have NO IDEA what it is like to have to take care of even 30 extra people.  

We do a lot of school trips (europe and all those things, and then Boston, Chicago and DC), I never go because I don't want that extra work but my god, you should see all the work involved to take 10 HS kids to Boston for model UN for 4 days.  I can't even imagine what it is like to take in hundreds and be responsible for them.

@RedDenver why don't you take a few in to live with you?  Hahaha

Get them signed up for Huskerboard 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
12 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m sure it’s not very cheap.  I think some of these progressive cities and or States are finding out what the southern areas have been battling for quite some time now and are finding out it’s not quite so easy to handle to situation.  

Most of the migrants are good people and want to work hard and the we could use more labor, but it has to be done in a controlled manner that doesn’t hammer the system too much/too often (I know you aren’t disputing any of that in your post, I was just getting it out there).   The progressives that talk about how we need to take care of everyone, everyone should be allowed in whenever they get here, don’t fully grasp the logistics and cost until they see the pain for themselves.  As you stated above, that seems to be happening a bit in the Denver area.  

• Plus1 1

Wasn't sure whether to put this in Democratic Utopia or education... but i guess the Dems own education now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/komonews.com/amp/news/nation-world/seattle-public-schools-decision-to-replace-gifted-program-ignites-debate-on-inclusivity-parents-defending-education-alex-nester-students-classrooms-race

Seattle closes gifted and talented schools because they had too many white and Asian students, with consultant branding black parents who complained about move 'tokenized'

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, nic said:

Wasn't sure whether to put this in Democratic Utopia or education... but i guess the Dems own education now.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/komonews.com/amp/news/nation-world/seattle-public-schools-decision-to-replace-gifted-program-ignites-debate-on-inclusivity-parents-defending-education-alex-nester-students-classrooms-race

Seattle closes gifted and talented schools because they had too many white and Asian students, with consultant branding black parents who complained about move 'tokenized'

Maybe in the Education spot?

But the quote below is interesting..Maybe instead of teachers and some test deciding who is "gifted and talented" we let the students decide if they are gifted and talented.  Empower them and praise them, encourage them instead of telling only some students that they are "gifted and talented".

“This is part of a much broader war on merit that we are seeing in schools across the country, whether it's eliminating gifted and talented programs or eliminating standardized tests,” Nester said. “When you take away these bars and these opportunities, that hurts all students.”

• Plus1 1

In my school I am about 99% in charge of what kids get to take AP classes.  That is not right, I don't really like that at all.  Let the kids decide, even if they "fail" that is okay, we learn so much from failing.

I have seen brilliant students that never struggled at all go off to college and they are back home by the end of the first semester because they never learned how to deal with a struggle.  

• Plus1 3
36 minutes ago, teachercd said:

In my school I am about 99% in charge of what kids get to take AP classes.  That is not right, I don't really like that at all.  Let the kids decide, even if they "fail" that is okay, we learn so much from failing.

I have seen brilliant students that never struggled at all go off to college and they are back home by the end of the first semester because they never learned how to deal with a struggle.  

I think it's a combination.  I think staff, as a whole, should recognize and encourage certain students to move into AP courses if they feel they can handle it.

However, I don't think you can tell another student "no" if they want to try it.  You never know when someone is going to shock the world with what they can do.  I also know some students that didn't get top grades, not because they couldn't do it.  But, because they were bored and ended up not trying.  Well, if you allow those kids to take AP and they are challenged, maybe they excel.  

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think it's a combination.  I think staff, as a whole, should recognize and encourage certain students to move into AP courses if they feel they can handle it.

However, I don't think you can tell another student "no" if they want to try it.  You never know when someone is going to shock the world with what they can do.  I also know some students that didn't get top grades, not because they couldn't do it.  But, because they were bored and ended up not trying.  Well, if you allow those kids to take AP and they are challenged, maybe they excel.  

This is why I don’t tell them no, I tell them to talk to their parents and to get their “permission”

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

But the quote below is interesting..Maybe instead of teachers and some test deciding who is "gifted and talented" we let the students decide if they are gifted and talented.  Empower them and praise them, encourage them instead of telling only some students that they are "gifted and talented".

I am not sure you can leave that to the students. I think some kids think they are gifted in certain areas, or their parents tell them they are, and they are not. Others are gifted, but are too unmotivated or shy or humble to do anything about.

I think teachers and parents working to figure out where their students gifts are and encouraging them in those areas is a great idea. They may suck at writing and be great at music and math, for example. Either way you should always have advanced classes for kids that are ready. Don't cancel them because of the class make up. That is just stupid. Instead go seek out and find minority kids that have the talent, but don't display it because of whatever circumstances they are in. Then give them a class that helps get them to the advanced level. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1