The Democrat Utopia

Can't believe Joe Biden would ruin America like this. Median networth and median income may be at all time highs. It's awesome that GDP growth remains robust - best in the world in fact. And sure, navigating through a world currently full of war and tension while looking out for America's interests are commendable. 

But the vibes are bad and he's old. 

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

21 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Can't believe Joe Biden would ruin America like this. Median networth and median income may be at all time highs. It's awesome that GDP growth remains robust - best in the world in fact. And sure, navigating through a world currently full of war and tension while looking out for America's interests are commendable. 

I think that inflated house values are a large portion of that "net worth". And, while median family income increase of 3% in 3 years is great...until you factor in a 6% increase in inflation. Why do many studies and polls report that a majority of Americans have virtually no savings?

I am in the camp that while these types of metrics look good, they do not reflect the increased costs and effects on the average consumer. 

• Plus1 3
53 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

LOL. “I’ve been successfully bullied”.

Love the data points he uses.  Stats don’t lie but liars use stats.  HA. 

so let’s put this in perspective…….the vast majority of this wealth increase (remember the article said 2019 as the starting point—-2022 December would be end point) has been stock accounts and home price increases (property wealth) per the article which I don’t think anyone disputes.   Some wealth was also attributed to stimulus checks (people using that money to either pay down debt or not have to increase debt) 

soooo let’s look at market gains during that time…..

Dow Industrial Average 

From Jan 2 2019-Jan 21, 2021 the Dow increased from 24,000 to 30,000 a 25% increase of math serves me correct.   Pretty sweet!

From Jan 21, 2021- Dec 30- 2022 the Dow increased from 30,000-33,150.  So a 10% increase in value.  Not terrible but also not what we had.   BTW, current DOW stands at 33,378, so basically no return in 2023 so far for wealth creation.

NASDAQ

2019-Jan 2021 NASDAQ went from 6,800 to 13,500!!!  Hurrah….lots of wealth creation ehhhh.

2021-Dec 2022 NASDAQ went from 13,500-10,500….whoops.  Serious wealth destruction there.  

S&P 500

2019-Jan 2021 went from 2531-3,800.   Can we get another hurrah!!

2021-2022 went from 3,800- 3895.   Damn.  Not much wealth creation there my man.  

But at least The Big Guy has the housing market increase to tout for wealth creation.   It’s just a shame hardly anyone can afford to sell their home and buy a different one with that equity.  

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I think that inflated house values are a large portion of that "net worth". And, while median family income increase of 3% in 3 years is great...until you factor in a 6% increase in inflation. Why do many studies and polls report that a majority of Americans have virtually no savings?

I am in the camp that while these types of metrics look good, they do not reflect the increased costs and effects on the average consumer. 

Studies and polls have showed Americans with little to no savings for a very long time. Also nobody is saying that the situation Americans face isn't bad - but ask yourself if there's any other country you'd rather be in right now and if their economic situation is better or worse? The answer is that it is worse everywhere else. Literally. 

Presidents don't get credit for making things less bad than they otherwise would be. 

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

LOL. “I’ve been successfully bullied”.

Love the data points he uses.  Stats don’t lie but liars use stats.  HA. 

so let’s put this in perspective…….the vast majority of this wealth increase (remember the article said 2019 as the starting point—-2022 December would be end point) has been stock accounts and home price increases (property wealth) per the article which I don’t think anyone disputes.   Some wealth was also attributed to stimulus checks (people using that money to either pay down debt or not have to increase debt) 

soooo let’s look at market gains during that time…..

Dow Industrial Average 

From Jan 2 2019-Jan 21, 2021 the Dow increased from 24,000 to 30,000 a 25% increase of math serves me correct.   Pretty sweet!

From Jan 21, 2021- Dec 30- 2022 the Dow increased from 30,000-33,150.  So a 10% increase in value.  Not terrible but also not what we had.   BTW, current DOW stands at 33,378, so basically no return in 2023 so far for wealth creation.

NASDAQ

2019-Jan 2021 NASDAQ went from 6,800 to 13,500!!!  Hurrah….lots of wealth creation ehhhh.

2021-Dec 2022 NASDAQ went from 13,500-10,500….whoops.  Serious wealth destruction there.  

S&P 500

2019-Jan 2021 went from 2531-3,800.   Can we get another hurrah!!

2021-2022 went from 3,800- 3895.   Damn.  Not much wealth creation there my man.  

But at least The Big Guy has the housing market increase to tout for wealth creation.   It’s just a shame hardly anyone can afford to sell their home and buy a different one with that equity.  

What's funny about this is the reason for recent stock market performance is because of the fact that the American economy, wage growth, and other metrics are performing so well. 

Fortunately the adults that now occupy the White House recognize that the Economy =/= Stock market, and their policy priorities are trying to keep job creation, wage growth, and economic growth robust.

• Haha 2
  • TBH 3
24 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Studies and polls have showed Americans with little to no savings for a very long time. Also nobody is saying that the situation Americans face isn't bad - but ask yourself if there's any other country you'd rather be in right now and if their economic situation is better or worse? The answer is that it is worse everywhere else. Literally. 

Presidents don't get credit for making things less bad than they otherwise would be. 

What's funny about this is the reason for recent stock market performance is because of the fact that the American economy, wage growth, and other metrics are performing so well. 

Fortunately the adults that now occupy the White House recognize that the Economy =/= Stock market, and their policy priorities are trying to keep job creation, wage growth, and economic growth robust.

That’s some serious 4D chess on why the market is stagnant.  

I did notice you sidestepped the wealth creation data that you tried to appropriate to Biden when in reality it shouldn’t be.  

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I did notice you sidestepped the wealth creation data that you tried to appropriate to Biden when in reality it shouldn’t be.  

Again, Republicans are forced to root against any good news for the American economy, when in fact they would be trumpeting the exact same numbers had they occurred in a Trump second term. That was/is a global pandemic and financial crisis, btw, and as Dr. Strangelove mentions, the U.S. has come out of it not only better than expected, but categorically better than our allies and rivals. There is zero chance that wouldn't be the Republican headline and Trump brag.

Inflation was a predictable side-effect of global supply chain disruption and everyone agrees it's still too high, but it appears to have stabilized and started to decline. 

The dirty little secret is that both Republican and Democrat administrations probably make the same big decisions on economic rescues, and global capitalism follows its own drum beat. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
17 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Again, Republicans are forced to root against any good news for the American economy, when in fact they would be trumpeting the exact same numbers had they occurred in a Trump second term

That would be a no for me and those I associate with:dunno.  Maybe those  Republicans you know of are of different thought.  

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2
4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

The stock market is stagnant because the Federal Reserve is keeping interest rates high. They keep interest rates high because the economy is booming. The stock market doesn't like high interest rates, because it hurts potential growth companies - which are the primary driver of the stock market. It's why the market reacts poorly to months where hundreds of thousands of jobs are added - this isn't complicated or difficult to understand. 

The reason American wealth had reached record levels is because of their houses - most don't own stocks and aren't exposed to the market. 

• TBH 1