Reaction to Frost Hire Thread

I very much desire to see objectivity around here and appreciate it very much, @zoogs. We don't have enough of it anywhere in Husker Nation.

You've identified it as being more of a footnote for you. That makes sense and seems an appropriate level of concern. I would probably agree that an off-the-record aside with the press group could have served the same purpose.

One thing that I think we see is that Scott wears his emotions on his sleeve. This is neither good nor bad. I predict he'll be compared negatively against Osborne as being opposite of Tom in this respect if/when times are bad around here. But at the end of the day, objectively speaking, I felt that direct ground rules with the press is actually called for and not out of line. 

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I think you can't really separate all of those things, Undone. You can tell a lot about a guy by how he conducts himself when things are good. This was his triumph, a moment when everyone in the fanbase is fawning over him, the red carpet is being rolled out, and the media is completely uncritical. That he chose to take a small step out of his way to cast them as potential public enemy was...strange. It's one thing if he has issues with some of them and tries to handle that privately. I'm less enthused about using good times and goodwill as a bludgeon. We've seen that story before and it doesn't end well, especially when the heat turns up.

I've been really enthusiastic about Frost. This is the last thing I expected to see from him. It's just a footnote, for now, and hopefully it remains that way. But objectively, it's not the kind of action I like seeing our HC take.

Enhance put it well -- it's about Frost making a point of saying this, in these circumstances no less. I'm not going to argue that the media is right all the time. Clearly they have a job to do that puts them at odds, sometimes, with what the coaches are trying to do. And sometimes they'll even do bad things. That isn't the matter of interest here.

There is nothing wrong with being objective, but I think you are grasping at straws in finding negatives at Frost and how you think they compare to your BFF.  I don't think Frost was going out of his way to be negative, it was just one minor aspect of the press conference.  It wasn't even being negative,  Frost was just pointing out that he wants his family to be off-limits.  I don't think that's too much to ask.  If you paid close attention to the PC, he was very positive and respectful to the media, including joking around with members of the media that he knew before.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm confused.

So, if he wins the division, he automatically is in the B1G championship right?  So, if that happens, he gets $300,000?  And then another $300,000 if he wins it?

I'm fine with all of that, the tweet is just confusing.

Yep. So essentially he'd get 700 K for winning the B1G.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm confused.

So, if he wins the division, he automatically is in the B1G championship right?  So, if that happens, he gets $300,000?  And then another $300,000 if he wins it?

I'm fine with all of that, the tweet is just confusing.

I don't think it's additive. So winning the conference would be $300k.

On 12/3/2017 at 9:26 AM, mwj98 said:

The reaction to this hire has been stunning. My wife actually wanted to put our flag up last night. You talk about the shot in the arm the fan base needed!!! Hell, Spring Game will be sold out. The players are excited. This feels great!!!

I totally agree. Something i haven't felt with the Huskers in a long time.

Part of what I think has divided the fan base has been whenever talk revolves around a previous coach or previous administration. I don't think that conversation is unhealthy, but it reaches a point where maybe we become too attached to a person to acknowledge their very real shortcomings. It's okay to admit that the previous administration, from front office leadership to coaching personnel was far from ideal, and the results on the field showed it. All I think Frost was alluding to was that culture and he was doing it in a very respectful manner. We know so little about the inner workings of the athletic program that all we can speculate on is what we see on the field and by what we read from trusted people. If Tom Osborne didn't think the culture and time was right for Frost to take a leadership role, then I trust his instincts that something wasn't right in the organization. 

Also, we don't need to sensationalize anyone's thoughts about former coaches  ("your BFF Riley"). 

The "jab" at the media wasn't a jab at all as much as it was Frost just laying some ground rules for how this is going to work. Why does the media have to contact his parents, his family, without his permission. I think Scott is a reserved individual and, despite having the highest profile job in the state, he wants to be able to get away from it when he can. That's a good thing, and the press should respect his wishes.