Russia

42 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

What’s even more sad (for me anyway) is, this whole Trump cult thing has caused me to hate our flag. Yes, Old Glory. When I now see it displayed anywhere, especially at peoples homes, that pretty much tells me all I need to know about the occupants. Yeah, I know I’m wrong in many cases but that is what radical behavior, stupidity and jingoism will do to a guy. More often than not today, the stars and stripes is flown right beside a F*** Biden or Let’s Go Brandon flag. It is revolting and disgusting. I’m not a Biden supporter (far from it) but given the choice I’m sure not joining the brainwashed idiots.

Edit- I don’t hate our flag, I hate that so many are using it the way they are.

My take is... ostentatiously flying or wearing American flags, or displays that show you support the police, typically show that someone thinks this isn't the default for 99% of Americans. It shows that they have stupidly been duped into believing that a lot of Americans hate America and hate the police, and therefore they have to show that they are one of the good guys. Much less serious comparison but similarly... I don't wear my Nebraska shirts in Nebraska very often. I wear them a lot more often when I'm traveling outside the state. I don't feel like I really need to show how much I like Nebraska while I'm in Nebraska.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Good! They should be. It's encouraging to have the youngs paying attention to some of this and better yet cheering on the good guys. If nothing else we should be more ready for if Red Dawn ever happens in real life :lol:

That Snake Island crew is the stuff of absolute legends. As is Zelensky: "I need ammunition, not a ride."

Balls so huge I can see them from here. Just incredible stuff.

Watching news this morning. Kyiv is still around. Russian tanks destroyed. Russia does not have air superiority. The advance is stalled on logistics. Poland and Germany are sending weapons. It sounds like Russia will be cut off from SWIFT banking. The world is getting a backbone! Ukrainians are inspiring. I feel like if NATO hits now Russia is in huge trouble, other than Putin may get desperate and do something unthinkable. I might just fly a Ukrainian flag this weekend. 

6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2022/2/25/22949351/ukraine-russia-us-troops-no-fly-zone-nuclear-weapons

A pretty simple and obvious explainer why the US and NATO won’t commit troops to directly aid Ukraine. (In case anyone was wondering)

Ya, I just assumed nukes is the main reason. But, I feel if they invade a 2nd country (not including Belarus or Moldova) things might change. Especially if it is Finland. Putin is threatening Finland and Sweden against joining NATO, but he attacked Ukraine and they didn't join NATO. So they might as well try to join.

15 hours ago, ZRod said:

I'm guessing that's not a real CNN Twitter handle.

Would you look at that. The account is suspended

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNNUKR

Seems someone is operating a false flag operation, just like they do in the Kremlin.

It would be interesting to see who picks it up, passes it around as fact, and fails to acknowledge the falsehood when it's exposed. 

By "interesting" of course I mean "predictible."

5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

My take is... ostentatiously flying or wearing American flags, or displays that show you support the police, typically show that someone thinks this isn't the default for 99% of Americans. It shows that they have stupidly been duped into believing that a lot of Americans hate America and hate the police, and therefore they have to show that they are one of the good guys. Much less serious comparison but similarly... I don't wear my Nebraska shirts in Nebraska very often. I wear them a lot more often when I'm traveling outside the state. I don't feel like I really need to show how much I like Nebraska while I'm in Nebraska.

I wear my Nebraska gear whenever I travel to Nebraska from Colorado. Figure it can’t hurt if I get pulled over for doing 85mph  on I-80 with CO plates :lol:

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Well, well, well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions biting me in the a$$...

This is a big deal.  SWIFT is the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication. It facilitates easy cross-border transactions and is used by over 11,000 banks around the world. Russia processes about $46 billion (US) through SWIFT every day.

Well... they used to. :D 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Well, well, well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions biting me in the a$$...

This is a big deal.  SWIFT is the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication. It facilitates easy cross-border transactions and is used by over 11,000 banks around the world. Russia processes about $46 billion (US) through SWIFT every day.

I think it would be funny if they hadn't agreed, but since he said they'd agreed they end up doing it so as to not look like a$$h@!es.

3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Ya, I just assumed nukes is the main reason. But, I feel if they invade a 2nd country (not including Belarus) things might change. Especially if it is Finland. Putin is threatening Finland and Sweden against joining NATO, but he attacked Ukraine and they didn't join NATO. So they might as well try to join.

Yeah, obviously there may be no choice if things go beyond Ukraine. It’s a strange predicament, on one hand I would love for our military to help the people of Ukraine but, on the other hand, there are a bunch of negatives to doing so.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Do folks remember who Yevegny Vindman is, and how he got famous in the U.S. under the name Lt. Eugene Vindman?