Russia

2 hours ago, commando said:

fwiw...we are mothballing 48 F-16s this year...as well as 48 F-15s.    if we aren't using them i think we could give them to ukraine at essentially no real cost to us as we are trashing them anyway.   .

I'm sure they're older models, but they might have to change some of the avionics in them before they could ship them to a non-NATO member. 

I thought there used to be an optics issue with us giving Ukraine offensive weapons, but that seems to have fallen by the wayside with the Bradleys. Obviously Russia's words rang extremely hollow about it being a major escalation.

if we are going to keep helping Ukraine then we should help to the point that when this is over, that we, the US, sets up a new government in Russia and essentially "controls" it.  I know that won't happen but it is what would be best.  That country should be a thriving modern country and clearly they either don't want to do it on their own or don't know how to do it.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

if we are going to keep helping Ukraine then we should help to the point that when this is over, that we, the US, sets up a new government in Russia and essentially "controls" it.  I know that won't happen but it is what would be best.  That country should be a thriving modern country and clearly they either don't want to do it on their own or don't know how to do it.

This is a pipe dream. 

We offered all kinds of help when the wall fell, and communism crashed in the Soviet Union in 1991.  Companies of all sorts ran it to help them convert to a more capitalistic society.  Churches and other organizations tried to help them with their culture.  But a century of communism, and centuries of strong arm Tzars left them incapable of changing their ways and their culture.  So Putin comes in and reinvents the strong man (Yeltsen was a drunk) and squashes the voice of those who wanted a freer society - a freer society which is enjoyed now by some of the other former Soviet bloc countries. 

We did this multiple times during the Cold War, especially in the Middle East and Central America - it rarely works out well.