What is your favorite sin?

This was a conversation that came about when visiting with members of my wife's family this last weekend.

We ended up in a conversation about what we all do for a living, which morphed into a conversation about various business pursuits that I (and others there) have considered, which then morphed into accusations that the over-pursuit of wealth was in fact a sin. What I considered ambition, my (very Catholic) mother-in-law considered to be my "favorite sin" based on her observations over the 11-12 years that I've dated/been married to her daughter. The conversation then went to each of us announcing what we believed to be a favorite sin of others in the room. It was quite the conversation, accompanied by some passion, and plenty of laughs.

So, what is your favorite sin?

(You can't say Husker football....we all share that one:D)

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Are you talking any sin in general, or the Seven Deadly Sins (pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath and sloth) in particular?

Any in general, maybe one of the seven, and a general one? We ran the gamut of sins in our conversation as a family.

2 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I can't pick just one of those. I like all 7.

Image result for devil gif

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 1

Favorite sin has to be gluttony.  I'm trying to live my life alcohol free now, (last time I drank was last New Year's Eve).  Although I can eat, and--at times, even make a Hobbit say I eat too much.  :D

But when it comes to booze, I used to regularly drain a 750ml bottle of spiced rum in a night.  I'd get off work on a Friday afternoon, make a stop at the liquor store, get what I need, and start drinking at about 6 pm.  By 1 am or so, the entire bottle of rum would be gone.

Edited by Making Chimichangas
  • Plus1 2

On 2/20/2018 at 10:40 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

Favorite sin has to be gluttony.  I'm trying to live my life alcohol free now, (last time I drank was last New Year's Eve).  Although I can eat, and--at times, even make a Hobbit say I eat too much.  :D

But when it comes to booze, I used to regularly drain a 750ml bottle of spiced rum in a night.  I'd get off work on a Friday afternoon, make a stop at the liquor store, get what I need, and start drinking at about 6 pm.  By 1 am or so, the entire bottle of rum would be gone.

I’ve been known to enjoy large quantities of spiced rum myself , but I got nuthin compared to that . Wow lol   :o

Edited by Big Red 40
28 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I like all seven too . How about a list in order of preference .

1. Lust

2. Gluttony 

3. Wrath 

4. Sloth 

5. Greed

6. Pride

7. Envy 

As far as ten commandment sins, my neighbor has a Hellcat Challenger, and a very hot wife,  I covet them daily . So I guess 9 and 10 at the same time.  lol

This is a good idea, because most humans have done every one of these multiple times.

1. Lust - If there's a pretty woman walking by, I'm looking at her. I realize most guys do this, but it feels like a violation. I try to be cool about it, but I'm sure some girls have noticed.

2. Wrath - Driving brings out my wrathfulness, big-time. I swear, get enraged, and critique other drivers all the time. Like, every time I drive. It's worse now that I live in Nebraska again. There are bad drivers in California, but mostly (in my experience) people just wanted to get where they were going & didn't dawdle. Most of Nebraska seems to have no agenda, no timetable, no pressing need to be anywhere at any given time. They can drive as slowly as they want, and if they miss light after light... eh. No biggie. And if there's someone behind them? Suddenly they're Lutz on his Lunch Day, and they're going to do the worst thing you can imagine, just because they can. And if traffic clears and you can get around them, suddenly they've found all the motivation in the world to zoom on.  Asshats. 

3. Sloth - I get terrible moments of laziness. My house could be so much more in order, or I could get a second job, if I just used the time I have wisely & didn't fart around.

4. Gluttony - especially wine, which I need to drink less of. I probably eat too much food, too, but that's most Americans.

5. Pride - I'm as prideful as any person, I guess. I mostly don't take me too seriously, and this could be lower, but I think I have less issues with the next two.

6. Greed - Eh. I don't lust after money, or things. I'm doing good. I don't have a burning need for more things. My house & lifestyle are modest, I don't own anything any more valuable than a car or the home I live in.  No big ticket items, no fancy TV, no bells or whistles. I really like plain-Jane stuff.  If it's basic & useful & doesn't cost much, that's my wheelhouse.

7. Envy - I pretty much couldn't care less what anyone else has. This is easily at the bottom of my list. I live modestly, I don't care that my friends are all up & down the economic ladder. As long as they're happy, I'm happy.  I don't need what they have. My life is pretty good as is.

• Plus1 1
On 2/20/2018 at 10:40 PM, Making Chimichangas said:

When I was studying for my big exam a few years ago I used to drink 375ml about 4 times a week to cope with the stress. That lasted from May to August. It didn't help that I had literally nothing to do from mid May thru the 2nd week in July besides study and be nervous. After that I had to teach for a month before the exam. Took awhile to not have an alcohol problem after that. But I passed the exam. That's the important part. My favorite's sailor jerry. I like the picture on the bottle. Actually, now that I see it up close she's not wearing a lot of clothes. Oh well.

Anyhow, when I saw this topic my immediate thought was pre-marital sex, which Landlord has already posted. Growing up Christian I learned all about not having sex until I was married. So I never had sex as a teenager. I came to my senses eventually. Looking back I feel a little bad for my first boyfriend. I told him the deal but I don't think he believed me. He still tried but he managed to not be a jerk about it.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1