Verduzco on Quarterbacks

1 hour ago, desertshox said:

nothing, except people comparing their quirkiness.

I don't think people really mean it as much with Verduzco. Unless we're talking before last season when people talked Diaco. He was just kind of entertaining back then, and in that way they're similar. But then Diaco went completely off the deep end in interviews when his defense sucked. Verduzco is probably not nearly on that level and seems a lot smarter.

If we never hear about Verduzco talking about The Strain, that will be a win.

TBH, I'm just glad we finally have an actual quarterbacks coach. That's something that's been sorely lacking over the last decade or more.

• Plus1 3

The key is to have a QB who executes his assigned tasks reliably.   He needs to throw to the open receivers and read the defenses and get us in the right plays and execute the options within those plays accordingly.   

It will be great if the QB breaks longs runs etc but if he primarily carries out his part in the plays and lets the other playmakers catch, run and score, we'll be lightyears ahead of the past years.   Tommie Armstrong made many individual plays and his running ability was obviously the reason he became a starter.   We need a QB who can do the other things a fine QB needs to do if we are going to win the games we need to in order to compete with the top teams in the conference.  

The most important ingredient that the coach can add is to teach the players well enough that the have confidence in their ability to make more plays and overcome errors.  Mistakes happen but if the players come right back out there and have faith they will make good plays then the team will succeed.   

• Plus1 1
  • 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

If you're looking for evidence that the guy is a top-notch qb coach, look no further:

Seems so strange that none of his coaches ever did that, even while at Nebraska.  Maybe they didn't understand bio-mechanics--or that it was even a thing. ;)

And how much benefit would Taylor Martinez and Tommy Armstrong have benefitted from a coach like Verduzco?  I think Coach Ver is going to pioneer a coach trend revolution with this stuff.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Seems so strange that none of his coaches ever did that, even while at Nebraska.  Maybe they didn't understand bio-mechanics--or that it was even a thing. ;)

And how much benefit would Taylor Martinez and Tommy Armstrong have benefitted from a coach like Verduzco?  I think Coach Ver is going to pioneer a coach trend revolution with this stuff.

I keep hearing Bill Walsh tried to fix it but it made things worse.

2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Here's thing about football coaches....very few can do what you're suggesting. Football, like many American sports, is primarily athlete driven and not technique driven. The QB position is the one exception, and throwing a football accurately, often on the move, is one of the hardest skills in all of sports to learn. A lot of QBs, especially back in the day, just kinda winged it. They really didn't know how they did it, so they really couldn't teach someone how to do it. That's been passed on through the generations. There was often a belief that a QB either had it or they didn't.

Becasue it's so hard to correct, by the time a QB reaches college level coaches often won't try to change it because you easily can make it worse. Even Mario said in a recent podcast he's careful on when he tries to make a change and restricts players from seeking outside help.

10 hours ago, brophog said:

Here's thing about football coaches....very few can do what you're suggesting. Football, like many American sports, is primarily athlete driven and not technique driven. The QB position is the one exception, and throwing a football accurately, often on the move, is one of the hardest skills in all of sports to learn. A lot of QBs, especially back in the day, just kinda winged it. They really didn't know how they did it, so they really couldn't teach someone how to do it. That's been passed on through the generations. There was often a belief that a QB either had it or they didn't.

Becasue it's so hard to correct, by the time a QB reaches college level coaches often won't try to change it because you easily can make it worse. Even Mario said in a recent podcast he's careful on when he tries to make a change and restricts players from seeking outside help.

I see this all the time in the 12-year old baseball team I help coach.  There are a few kids who have "strong arms" but they have terrible technique.  They don't get their legs into their throw or throw the ball sidearm which creates bad spin on the ball or other things with bad technique.  This poor technique causes inconsistency and inaccuracy.  When my son was young, I taught him the proper grip and proper throwing motion to get a consistent back-spin on his baseball throws.  Even though he doesn't have a strong arm, he's extremely accurate with his throws.  I will try to work with the kids or talk to their parents about techniques to improve how they throw the ball, but they don't want to listen.  These kids are only 12, I couldn't imagine trying to overhaul a high-school or college aged kid.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I see this all the time in the 12-year old baseball team I help coach.  There are a few kids who have "strong arms" but they have terrible technique.  They don't get their legs into their throw or throw the ball sidearm which creates bad spin on the ball or other things with bad technique.  This poor technique causes inconsistency and inaccuracy.  When my son was young, I taught him the proper grip and proper throwing motion to get a consistent back-spin on his baseball throws.  Even though he doesn't have a strong arm, he's extremely accurate with his throws.  I will try to work with the kids or talk to their parents about techniques to improve how they throw the ball, but they don't want to listen.  These kids are only 12, I couldn't imagine trying to overhaul a high-school or college aged kid.

I'm a firm believer this is a problem because too many youth coaches think they need to act like their coaching at a Div 1 power 5 school for a national championship.....instead of drilling the basics about fundamentals.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm a firm believer this is a problem because too many youth coaches think they need to act like their coaching at a Div 1 power 5 school for a national championship.....instead of drilling the basics about fundamentals.

Yes and no.  The fundamentals need to be taught at a young age and emphasized with the youngkids.  I do agree that many youth coaches care more about winning, rather than teaching fundamentals.  But, it also goes back to the kids, the kids need to want to be coached.  They need to be willing to change how they are doing things if they aren't doing something with proper technique.  That is usually the hardest thing to do because many of the kids I work with are told how good they are from a young age, so they don't like it when they are told they are doing something "incorrectly".  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes and no.  The fundamentals need to be taught at a young age and emphasized with the youngkids.  I do agree that many youth coaches care more about winning, rather than teaching fundamentals.  But, it also goes back to the kids, the kids need to want to be coached.  They need to be willing to change how they are doing things if they aren't doing something with proper technique.  That is usually the hardest thing to do because many of the kids I work with are told how good they are from a young age, so they don't like it when they are told they are doing something "incorrectly".  

Agree - too many parents trying to have the next superstar athlete. I'd much rather coach the kids that want to learn and do what's best for the team.

Kids don't like doing fundamentals because they aren't fun and they don't see the pros doing them. We have to adjust our coaching methods to get them interested.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Agree - too many parents trying to have the next superstar athlete. I'd much rather coach the kids that want to learn and do what's best for the team.

Kids don't like doing fundamentals because they aren't fun and they don't see the pros doing them. We have to adjust our coaching methods to get them interested.

I have coached youth wrestling for over 10 years, ages 5-17. We stress fundamentals above everything else from Day 1, and I never get resistance from teaching them. Of course, it may be a difference in sports, as in wrestling, you teach a technique plus a counter. Thus, the athletes get real-time feedback of the concequences to a failure in fundamentals.

Still, when you are wrestling live matches, there are a lot of situational moments during scrambles or chaining that the wrestler with the best fundamentals wins nearly everytime. I have coached multiple state championships, and those kids grind fundamentals. No way would I ever expect to hear one of them complain.

26 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

I have coached youth wrestling for over 10 years, ages 5-17. We stress fundamentals above everything else from Day 1, and I never get resistance from teaching them. Of course, it may be a difference in sports, as in wrestling, you teach a technique plus a counter. Thus, the athletes get real-time feedback of the concequences to a failure in fundamentals.

Still, when you are wrestling live matches, there are a lot of situational moments during scrambles or chaining that the wrestler with the best fundamentals wins nearly everytime. I have coached multiple state championships, and those kids grind fundamentals. No way would I ever expect to hear one of them complain.

I think wrestling is a very different type of sport because a really good wrestler with good fundamentals at any age can beat a stronger athlete.  Many sports aren't that way early on.  When a kid starts playing baseball, if he's bigger than all the rest of the kids and can at least make contact with the ball, he can usually hit better and throw better.  Problem is, baseball at an elite level is one of the most fundamentally demanding sports there is.  Professional baseball players are there BECAUSE they know the fundamentals so well....and probably didn't get by as a kid just on athleticism.  You can't make a double play at second base just because you're a good athlete.  It's because you have drilled it over and over again till it's second nature on how to do it right.