Post-Practice Presser - March 29

9 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Well that doesn't inspire much confidence in our defense. I hope these guys are planning on getting some stops, turnovers and forcing punts. If we have to score every possession to have a chance to win, it's going to be an interesting year.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Well that doesn't inspire much confidence in our defense. I hope these guys are planning on getting some stops, turnovers and forcing punts. If we have to score every possession to have a chance to win, it's going to be an interesting year.

Well there were some interceptions today, maybe they would have been pick sixes. Wouldn't that inspire a lot of confidence if we start the season with a couple Tanner Lee specials.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Well there were some interceptions today, maybe they would have been pick sixes. Wouldn't that inspire a lot of confidence if we start the season with a couple Tanner Lee specials.

I guess I didn’t consider that those two bad picks today may have been really bad and really early. But reading between the lines of Walters comment it sounded like if the offense sputters at all the other team will score. I’m sure that isn’t what he meant....just my conditioned reflex from the Diaco D.

3 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I guess I didn’t consider that those two bad picks today may have been really bad and really early. But reading between the lines of Walters comment it sounded like if the offense sputters at all the other team will score. I’m sure that isn’t what he meant....just my conditioned reflex from the Diaco D.

He said it was something he tells the guys. It's just motivational. The O should try not to rely on the D and vice versa.

23 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I guess you haven't been introduced to the exciting world of hyperbole.

xhyperbole-poems.gif.pagespeed.ic.14qlef

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I hear what you are saying, but Cav had 3 years of sheer incompetence at NU, meanwhile he treated the fans and the media like we didn't have any idea of what a good offensive line looked like.

Diaco may have been doing that, too, but we haven't fully translated his speeches yet.

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, Moiraine said:

He said it was something he tells the guys. It's just motivational. The O should try not to rely on the D and vice versa.

Yeah, saying you held them to a FG doesn't have quite the same impact.

This offensive staff really believes that with their tempo and level of preparation they have an advantage early before the defense can acclimate. I was just watching last year's UCF-Cincinnati game and it had a great example. UCF receives the ball first. 4 play drive, about 90 seconds, with a blown defensive assignment. Not only are they now up 7-0, but that allows the UCF defense on their first play to send a deep blitzer to get a hit on the QB. The offensive pressure translates to defensive pressure because you have more freedom when playing with the lead.

What Walters talks to his offense about all the time is creating pressure for the other team, and one way is scoring early.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I took it as motivation.  How many times on this board have we all said we start to slow.  Need to come out on all cylinders. He is saying what we have all said.  I dont think it was aimed at the D.  A simple, yet truthful comment. If our O, continues to be hit or miss as we have seen for too many years, the results will be points by the other team.

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I think there might be a shade of truth in what he said, though, so don't be too hard on yourself. :lol:

We know this team is going to go fast which means there's a real possibility they could go three and out in virtually little to no time if they're not focused. So, I ultimately interpreted that as him saying 'if we play like that we're going to put our defense in bad positions, give the other team momentum and give them better chances to score.'

7 hours ago, Enhance said:

We know this team is going to go fast which means there's a real possibility they could go three and out in virtually little to no time if they're not focused

I want to point something out since "going fast" is going to be a repeated topic this year: This offense won't go 3 and out any faster, in terms of how much time it takes off the game clock, than an average offense. The difference between an offense that huddles and one that doesn't in this regard is only a few seconds different given everyone is subject to the same 25 second play clock.

The biggest difference between any two offenses in terms of time off the clock will therefore depend on run/pass ratios and incomplete passes. Average is going to be somewhere around 1:30, usually a little less. 3 incomplete passes pushes that to a minute, maybe 45 seconds. 3 short runs pushes it more towards 2 minutes.

Edited by brophog
  • Plus1 1
On 3/29/2018 at 5:47 PM, B.B. Hemingway said:

NOT SO FAST!!!

Image result for bob diaco memes

Honestly, we should have known what would happen. Everyone I've ever met who wears 2 pairs of pants and a zip-up hoody under a t-shirt is at least a little crazy.

He's wearing 3 shirts in this photo:

nebraska-cornhuskers-defensive-coordinat

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1