Mavric

JUCO OG Desmond Bland [Nebraska Commit]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Player: Desmond Bland

Hometown: Flossmoor, Illinois

School: Arizona Western

Position: Offensive Guard

Height: 6-4

Weight: 285

40 Time

Offers: Arizona, Iowa State, Louisville, Memphis, Missouri, Nebraska

Visits: 6/22/18 - Friday Night Lights

Twitter

247 Composite: #13 JUCO Overall; #1 JUCO OG; .8900; :star:star:star:star 

Rivals: #12 JUCO Overall; #2 JUCO OT; :star:star:star:star 
247: #16 JUCO Overall; #1 JUCO OG; :star:star:star 
ESPN

Hudl

• Plus1 1

Was a JUCO All-American in 2016 but redshirted last year.  Will play this year, graduate in December and have two years to play wherever he goes next.

• Plus1 2

Nebraska

TherealTomOsborne,HuskermanMike,Edison's Enemy,ADS,Husker from Kansas,yort2000,The Murphinator

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

quick question- the other guy is a grad transfer- does he count towards a recruiting class or does he just join the team?

He does not count against the number of guys we can sign this year other than affecting the number of scholarships that we have available.

So yes and no.  :)

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He does not count against the number of guys we can sign this year other than affecting the number of scholarships that we have available.

So yes and no.  :)

So they dont add him to the 18 or 19 class which effects class overall ranking is all i am looking at

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

So they dont add him to the 18 or 19 class which effects class overall ranking is all i am looking at

Correct, he won't show up in the recruiting rankings.

Awesome. Well as far as Bland goes. Looks like a great pickup. #2 JUCO guard. All American 2 years ago and redshirted last year. I am not an expert so is that normal that a guy is an all american and then redshirts? Just curious why he didnt go to college after his all american year?

11 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Awesome. Well as far as Bland goes. Looks like a great pickup. #2 JUCO guard. All American 2 years ago and redshirted last year. I am not an expert so is that normal that a guy is an all american and then redshirts? Just curious why he didnt go to college after his all american year?

They can only leave after one year if they were an academic qualifier out of high school. If they didn't qualify, they have to graduate from the JUCO to be eligible.

So I would guess he redshirted so he had another year to play at the D-1 level.

31 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Yes! Arizona Western is looking like a pipeline

Let's grab Blades!

Insert sarcasm. 

I'm confused. Is he in the 2019 class that's coming after this season or is he going to be available this fall?

8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

247 has him listed for the class of 2018 along side Woodyard, Honas, etc

247 has him as Class of 2019

My note from when he was offered said he will play this fall, graduate in December and have two years to play after that.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

My note from when he was offered said he will play this fall, graduate in December and have two years to play after that.

My speculation is he was possibility trying to graduate early and be a 3 for 3 guy, but was unable to do that so he'll end up being a 2 for 2 recruit.

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think they just moved him to the 2019 class page because I was just looking for him and he was on the 2018 page just below Deontai Williams

Was actually playing left tackle when he was named a JUCO All-American two years ago so he could potentially play tackle for us as well .... although (/best Mel Kiper voice) he lacks ideal height for the position.

• Plus1 2

I'm always leery of JUCO offensive lineman, and I'd definitely say I'm a big proponent in general for taking a few JUCO players per year. The big negative for JUCO players is that accelerated clock, they really need to contribute early. Offensive line is a position that doesn't rotate much, and non-starters can therefore have a tough time contributing. It adds to the risk over more athletic positions that can contribute in other ways.

Still, dude has a mean streak. Best of luck.

3 hours ago, brophog said:

I'm always leery of JUCO offensive lineman, and I'd definitely say I'm a big proponent in general for taking a few JUCO players per year. The big negative for JUCO players is that accelerated clock, they really need to contribute early. Offensive line is a position that doesn't rotate much, and non-starters can therefore have a tough time contributing. It adds to the risk over more athletic positions that can contribute in other ways.

Still, dude has a mean streak. Best of luck.

Don't think we will have to worry about this kid being able to contribute.  We will lose both guards next year, and he can play interior and exterior OL

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, Mavric said:

They can only leave after one year if they were an academic qualifier out of high school. If they didn't qualify, they have to graduate from the JUCO to be eligible.

So I would guess he redshirted so he had another year to play at the D-1 level.

Injured last year

7 hours ago, Mavric said:

This is great to hear on the talent side of things, but there's a lot to being a great center. They need to be one of the smartest guys on the team.

Maybe he is smart, but considering he didn't qualify academically out of high school, there has to be a touch of uncertainty there. Could be lots of things that led to that.

Still, great pick up.

The seal has been broken, first big O-line get of the Frost era. We'll be needing him next year to replace Farmer or Foster. 

14 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

This is great to hear on the talent side of things, but there's a lot to being a great center. They need to be one of the smartest guys on the team.

Maybe he is smart, but considering he didn't qualify academically out of high school, there has to be a touch of uncertainty there. Could be lots of things that led to that.

Still, great pick up.

Being smart on the football field and in the classroom are two very different things.

• Plus1 2

Watched his highlight film. Does it seem like he gets away with a lot of holds on those pan cake blocks, or blind side hits, Maybe they just don't call it as much in juco, but just saying, I don't think that will fly in the B1G.  

GBR!!!

20 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Being smart on the football field and in the classroom are two very different things.

I know that very well, but there is at least some correlation. If he struggles in school, then he might have trouble with playbooks, film study, and classroom sessions. I've never had a player that knows the offense or defense inside and out that also struggled to stay eligible. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's not coming. There is some correlation between classroom smarts and football smarts.

THAT SAID, I never said he's not smart. I said there has to be a touch of uncertainty there.

3 hours ago, huskered17 said:

Watched his highlight film. Does it seem like he gets away with a lot of holds on those pan cake blocks, or blind side hits, Maybe they just don't call it as much in juco, but just saying, I don't think that will fly in the B1G.  

GBR!!!

Watching Wisconsin play I have to disagree with this. I think any team that has a oline that performs very well pushes the limits on holding. 

Can he come play center for us this year? 

This is one I'll be nervous about till that NLI is delivered. 

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, swmohusker said:

Composite 4 star 89 ranking.   

Yeah!  Now we got a good lineman 

Man, I hope we can hang on to him! He will be a good one.