Michelle Wolf's roast of Sarah Huckabee Sanders

WHCA feels the need to drop this and make sure everyone knows how much they disagree with Ms. Wolf's performance. I get that they're a professional organization and thus want to emphasize the professionalism part, but...

Come on. She's a comedian. You invited a comedian to headline this event. Everyone knows the point of this event is to roast POTUS. Everybody with a functional frontal lobe also understands we don't have some milquetoast, mild-mannered, ho-hum president. We've got the most vulgar, dishonest, abrasive, inflammatory president certainly of my lifetime and quite possibly in the history of our country, surrounded and protected by a loyal army of toadies, grifters and corrupt hangers-on. Were they expecting her to crack jokes about how his ties are too long and everything has to be gold and how much he loves Big Macs?

The main thrust of the argument against this deal is we've got to be better than Trump. Why? Suddenly comedians can't tell jokes? 

Everyone (mostly the press involved) should lighten up about a comedian trying a bit that didn't land, especially given the backdrop of who she's joking about.

It does tickle me to no end Trumpist conservatives continue to feel unfairly targeted and maligned by this. Massive victimhood complex is becoming a way of life for them. The same people who sat idly by while Obama was called a secret gay Muslim from Kenya or during Access Hollywood and probably chuckled when Ted Nugent made "suck on my machine gun" jokes can't handle jokes about eye liner and references to Handmaid's Tale?

Give me a break. Sometimes stand up comedy bombs. Wolf's certainly did in that room. The fact that a failed stand-up comedy bit is enough to cause an gigantic outcry from conservative hacks like Schlapp & others like him tells us a lot about how well Trumpism stands up to scrutiny... it doesn't. 

• Plus1 3

55 minutes ago, Fru said:

Hopefully someday we hold our President to a higher standard than a no name comedian. 

Hopefully people just treat people nicely no matter what their job might...The standards should be the same, I think.  Once we start having different standards for people we start creating problems.  People should be held to a high standard towards the way the interact with others because it is the right thing to do.

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Hopefully people just treat people nicely no matter what their job might...The standards should be the same, I think.  Once we start having different standards for people we start creating problems.  People should be held to a high standard towards the way the interact with others because it is the right thing to do.

Absolutely. Agree 100%. 

I just find it funny how the folks that support a President who insults everyone are somehow unable to get over a smoky eye makeup joke. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Fru said:

Absolutely. Agree 100%. 

I just find it funny how the folks that support a President who insults everyone are somehow unable to get over a smoky eye makeup joke. 

Who knows...some people are just a$$hole$ when it comes to having a sense of humor.  I think it might be immaturity.

• Plus1 1

I cringed when I listened to it - not in defense of Sarah, Trump or the admin but in the personal nature of the jokes. It was not funny or tasteful.  I'd say the same thing if it were aimed at a Dem admin. This is symptomatic of the discourse in our country.  Kind of hard to get things done wt this type of divide.  And unfortunately, our president should be leading us to a higher road  but instead has led us into a deeper gutter - through the primaries, the general election and he failed to make any adjustment as president of all Americans - in fact it became a bully pulpit (not the TR type mind you) in which he attacks anyone who disagrees wt him.  

Little bit different tone back in the 1980s.  This was Reagan's response back in 1986.  At 6:15 point - Reagan talks up the importance of the

press and the courage of the press - and salutes them for the work they do.  No 'fake news' charges here.   Trump is not Reagan.

The real reason Michelle Wolf is under attack is because her Sarah Sanders jokes are true

Sarah Huckabee Sanders can dish it, but Republicans can’t take it.

Republicans, who’ve never called out Huckabee Sanders for any of her comments, had a lot to say Saturday night. Mike Huckabee, Sarah’s father and former governor of Arkansas, captured the sentiment when he tweeted: “The WHCD was supposed to celebrate the 1st Amendment. Instead they celebrated bullying, vulgarity, and hate.”

Wolf’s routine hit a nerve because it’s true. Huckabee Sanders represents White House policy, which includes smearing people for political gain and selling legislation through blatant falsehoods, like a health care repeal bill that would have cost millions their insurance.

But Washington insiders think standing at a podium and saying all this calmly is professional, and telling a joke about it is cruel. Until we take a hard look at Huckabee Sanders’s own words, though, the joke’s on us.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders tells a lot of lies

Huckabee Sanders stands poised in front of the White House press corps nearly every day, laying out the White House’s priorities and taking questions. Unlike her predecessor Sean Spicer, she keeps her cool or goes on the offense. She doesn’t backpedal. She doesn’t hide in the bushes. She’s a PR pro.

And in the face of tough questions, she says whatever she needs to get by. She lies. She repeats bizarre claims. She pretends that basic facts just do not exist:

<<<I can't put the whole article here, so here are the bullet points of Sanders' lies highlighted in the article>>>

Obamacare

Voter fraud

Mexicans are rapists

Trump accusers are the real liars

As anyone who's watched Sarah Huckabee Sanders speak at the podium with anything like a neutral state of mind will attest to, those four bullets are not remotely a comprehensive list of Sanders' lies. 

• Plus1 4