The Trump Economy

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's unfair to blame Trump for the stock market crash.

But it was unfair for Trump to take credit for the gains under Obama. 

He's all about hyperbole and numbers, and now he has the top ten biggest daily  losses in stock market history on his watch.

Karma. 

Yep. Pretty sure on January 18th, 2017 I was posting he'll take credit for everything good that ever happens and refuse to take the blame for anything bad. People who like him are insane.

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

I have no problem declaring Trump's faults where he has faults, but you really can't fault him for this one. He could have taken steps to stabilize things, and yeah, he shouldn't have been burning the interest rate safety net for dubious gains in the past year or two, but a pandemic isn't something anyone is going to have control over.

It was going to have a negative impact regardless, and I think people blame presidents for way too much as it is (depending on their political affiliation and who's president at the time). But I really think he has exacerbated the problems with this, a lot. He's doing his usual denying science and attacking the scientists when he should have taken immediate steps to try to slow this thing down and claimed it was just a precaution, and his reaction makes people worry, thus the economy gets worse than it would have been if we had a president who wasn't inept.

I also can't help but notice this same President declared the coronavirus a hoax just two weeks ago,, as he does anything he perceives hurting him politically, or frankly anything reported in the media. He has flipped on that with a government response that he mistakenly believes is huge and unprecedented and praiseworthy, when in fact the time to act was during the "hoax" period, and that dead time has severely limited the efficacy of the response.

It's also notable to anyone who watches Fox or has conservative friends on Facebook that the "media hoax" or over-reaction theories persist among his supporters despite the President's response. It only takes one small step to the right to turn the coronavirus into a foreign invader, enabled by the media to take down Donald Trump. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, commando said:

during a pandemic the biggest concern is the market.   cmon donnie..at least pretend like you care about the health of american people rather than only the health of american wallets.

Ummm....I'm perfectly OK with people being also concerned about the economy and "american's wallets" in all of this.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, he (and others) has spoken a lot about the personal health issue.

FFS......you're actually causing me to defend Trump.....STOP IT!!!!

FWIW...the only time trump expresses concern about people is when he is reading prepared statements off a teleprompter.   when he is speaking freely it is all about the markets.  I believe he really doesn't care about people dying...he only cares that it is hurting the markets and his political chances.  if you believe he actually cares about people we will agree to disagree on that matter.

heck...a couple weeks ago Don said the corona virus was a big democratic hoax designed to crash the markets and bring him down.   i didn't believe him then and i certainly see no reason to believe anything he says now.

• Plus1 2