Hurricane Florence could add to list of possible NU Game 12 opponents

cheekygeek

I would rather NU play on October 27 against a different opponent and tell Akron to go find something else.  They were too weak to want to play the very next morning and I am one of the many that traveled a long way to see that opening game.  Marshall or ECU sound good to me.  I also think it would be fun to play Va Tech if we could...a little BIG/ACC challenge, but not sure if Va Tech would have that weekend open.

2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I would rather NU play on October 27 against a different opponent and tell Akron to go find something else.  They were too weak to want to play the very next morning and I am one of the many that traveled a long way to see that opening game.  Marshall or ECU sound good to me.  I also think it would be fun to play Va Tech if we could...a little BIG/ACC challenge, but not sure if Va Tech would have that weekend open.

VT is playing 10/25, and we might need a win. I don't think we will, but it's better to play it safe. We should be scheduling a sure win. There's no reason to schedule a tough team except for the fan entertainment value.

4 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Are we sure we will schedule a game on December 1st against a lousy opponent to squander the 'sellout streak'? A cold game in Lincoln against an FCS team doesn't have the feel for a sellout, especially during a season where wins are going to be hard to come by. Even if that game is Akron, I don't see that stadium being full. 

I haven't been back to Nebr. in a long time. Has interest in the program fallen off that much? I would have thought in Frost's first year interest would remain high even with a few losses along the way but it sounds like people aren't really into Husker football like the old days if they can't sell out a final game that may be the difference between a bowl or not. Pretty sad news.

But I'm not in favor of a Dec. game regardless. There should be a few teams would could schedule Oct. 27 with the hurricane cancelations. Tenn. St., E Carolina etc.

I .think y’all that are worried about getting bowl eligible without scheduling an extra cupcake are cray cray. Maybe I’m drowning in the deep end of the Kool-Aid pool but c’mon.

Troy

Purdue

Northwestern

Minnesota

Illinois

Iowa

That’s already 6 and then at least one of

Michigan

Wisconsin

Michigan State

Maybe our extra game will be the CCG :dunno

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I .think y’all that are worried about getting bowl eligible without scheduling an extra cupcake are cray cray. Maybe I’m drowning in the deep end of the Kool-Aid pool but c’mon.

Troy

Purdue

Northwestern

Minnesota

Illinois

Iowa

That’s already 6 and then at least one of

Michigan

Wisconsin

Michigan State

Maybe our extra game will be the CCG :dunno

I think we'll beat Iowa and Michigan State if Martinez can recover from his injury and not get re-injured.

But I still think it would be stupid to not add a sure win, just in case.

1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I haven't been back to Nebr. in a long time. Has interest in the program fallen off that much? I would have thought in Frost's first year interest would remain high even with a few losses along the way but it sounds like people aren't really into Husker football like the old days if they can't sell out a final game that may be the difference between a bowl or not. Pretty sad news.

It's not "news" at all. It's one dude worrying over nothing. The game already sold out, and it would probably sell out again. I'm sure it will be full.

5 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I think we'll beat Iowa and Michigan State if Martinez can recover from his injury and not get re-injured.

But I still think it would be stupid to not add a sure win, just in case.

I agree that adding a sure win would be the safe route. But, my preference would be to leave our bye week open. I really want to see how we can do against tOSU with an extra week of prep and recovery. No I'm not expecting to win that game, but I do think we stand a chance of making a game of it and, if things go our way, possibly pull off the upset. Is it possible to schedule for Dec. 1 and then cancel if IF we should happen to end up in the CCG?

5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree that adding a sure win would be the safe route. But, my preference would be to leave our bye week open. I really want to see how we can do against tOSU with an extra week of prep and recovery. No I'm not expecting to win that game, but I do think we stand a chance of making a game of it and, if things go our way, possibly pull off the upset. Is it possible to schedule for Dec. 1 and then cancel if IF we should happen to end up in the CCG?

That's what Iowa State just did by scheduling Incarnate Word 

The game won't be played if Iowa State qualifies for the Big 12 Conference Championship game (which is Dec. 1 in Arlington, Texas), or if Incarnate Word qualifies for the FCS playoffs.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/randy-peterson/2018/09/12/college-football-iowa-state-faces-incarnate-word-dec-1-ames-long-neither-team-its-conference-champio/1282059002/

Michigan State is a very winnable game.  Iowa makes me nervous this year because, again, they play their best football down the stretch and we could, again, be a M*A*S*H unit by week 12.  But say we beat Michigan or Michigan State plus Purdue, Illinois, Minny, Troy and Northwestern and that's 6 wins right there.  Personally I think right now we finish 7-4 on the year so we don't NEED the cupcake, but I would gladly take the cupcake just in case I'm wrong.  And because extra game is still an extra game that we had taken from us.

20 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

DANG! I love the new Mavric!!!!!

But actually, there isn't any "new Mavric".  Same old - emphasis on old - Mavric as there always has been.  

My negativity over the last three years has nothing to do with not liking someone or wanting them to fail.  My negativity came out of taking an honest look at what was going on and I was proved to be right.

I'm still just taking an honest look at things.  But we are not doing A LOT of things really well now.  We just need to clean a few thing up and we will be rolling.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But actually, there isn't any "new Mavric".  Same old - emphasis on old - Mavric as there always has been.  

My negativity over the last three years has nothing to do with not liking someone or wanting them to fail.  My negativity came out of taking an honest look at what was going on and I was proved to be right.

I'm still just taking an honest look at things.  But we are not doing A LOT of things really well now.  We just need to clean a few thing up and we will be rolling.

Are you trying to tell me that all this time, you actually liked me!? BOOM!

2 hours ago, Redux said:

Michigan State is a very winnable game.  Iowa makes me nervous this year because, again, they play their best football down the stretch and we could, again, be a M*A*S*H unit by week 12.  But say we beat Michigan or Michigan State plus Purdue, Illinois, Minny, Troy and Northwestern and that's 6 wins right there.  Personally I think right now we finish 7-4 on the year so we don't NEED the cupcake, but I would gladly take the cupcake just in case I'm wrong.  And because extra game is still an extra game that we had taken from us.

You are a M*A*S*H unit.