0-2

The Dude

3 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Somehow if you get frustrated with 0-2 you were someone who expected us to go undefeated.   If you think that losing to Troy at home isn't acceptable you don't believe in Frost and think he will never win a game.  That seems to be conscious. 

I am one of those odd people that doesnt care about year 1 at all. I have zero expectations of anything. Installing a new offense and defense. Our entire offense was not recruited to run this scheme at all, minus the guys Frost brought in. 

I expect us to make improvements from this year to next and I expect to see the BIG jump in year 3 where we are actually competing at a nearly elite level. Until then I want to keep my emotions out of it and just enjoy the process. 

• Plus1 4

9 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I am one of those odd people that doesnt care about year 1 at all. I have zero expectations of anything. Installing a new offense and defense. Our entire offense was not recruited to run this scheme at all, minus the guys Frost brought in. 

I expect us to make improvements from this year to next and I expect to see the BIG jump in year 3 where we are actually competing at a nearly elite level. Until then I want to keep my emotions out of it and just enjoy the process. 

I'm odd too. Especially considering the tough schedule , I don't care about wins and losses this year.....although I thought we'd have more of them and it would help with recruiting.

3 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I'm odd too. Especially considering the tough schedule , I don't care about wins and losses this year.....although I thought we'd have more of them and it would help with recruiting.

Wins and losses will help with recruiting beyond this season.  The coaches can sell recruits on an exciting brand of football, the goal of turning over the roster, and the hope of quick playing time.  The wins need to occur in years 2, 3, and beyond to reload the roster with better recruits.

• Fire 1

44 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Again, I've seen plenty of veteran first string Husker quarterbacks have a lot worse games than Bunch, and not many of them would have completed that bullet of a TD to Morgan. 

To be fair though, ive seen alot of first string freshman quarterbacks rise above and beyond expectations.  That doesnt mean for a second we excuse it.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Wins and losses will help with recruiting beyond this season.  The coaches can sell recruits on an exciting brand of football, the goal of turning over the roster, and the hope of quick playing time.  The wins need to occur in years 2, 3, and beyond to reload the roster with better recruits.

Exactly. Dabo and Saban both had 6 win seasons year 1 and recruiting was fine. As long as we can land a top 25ish class we are right on track and we are looking good to do that.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

A losing culture isn't toxic?

I never said that a losing culture isn't toxic, but it's completely different.  A losing culture is worse than the perceived toxic culture which was under Bo.  The "toxic" culture which Riley was trying to change was still a culture which won a lot of games.  The culture that Frost inherited was a losing culture.  A team that goes 4-8 and loses it's final 4 games of the season has a losing culture.  That losing culture has carried over to this year.  I don't know what to tell you if you can't notice the difference. 

20 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

heh...ok

What was our volleyball coaches name? The guy that put us on the map and he's now a coaching consultant...he wrote a letter or something talking about how toxic the culture was that Bo left. I'll believe that guy (an expert) if you don't mind. 

That letter, statement, or whatever it was...was linked on this site.

If Terry Pettit perceived there was a toxic culture problem under Bo, it’s his opinion, and I would respect it. He knows a lot about building a championship culture. I still think a losing culture is harder to change than whatever culture Riley inherited in 2015. 

7 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Terry Pettit! I have no idea why but I forget his name every damn time. Ask me in 5 minutes and see!  :D (Growing up one of the neighbor families had the surname Pettit so you'd think I'd remember this guys name.)

I might agree with the bolded part. It can be hard to get people to believe they can do something when they are so used to not doing it. If that's what we are witnessing now, then look out when the lights come on for these guys.

I don’t think our opinions on things are too far apart. I have seen first hand how hard it is to get teams do the “little things” that turn losses into wins. My son’s competitive baseball team has struggled for much of the past 3 years. Many times, they find ways to lose rather than finding ways to win.  Honestly, I blame the coach for not emphasizing things to be done “the right way”’ in practice, so things don’t get done “the right way” in games and mistakes happen, and losses happen.

Tre Neal came out after the game saying that the players aren’t doing the “little things” correctly, that causes mistakes. Sure Frost and the staff deserve blame for not emphasizing the little things, but they have also been worried about bigger things like installing a new offense and defense, as well as improving the S&C. This may be why the little things are turning into big mistakes early in the season. 

4 hours ago, KingBlank said:

Somehow if you get frustrated with 0-2 you were someone who expected us to go undefeated.   If you think that losing to Troy at home isn't acceptable you don't believe in Frost and think he will never win a game.  That seems to be conscious. 

You

The point ------>

Losses happen.  You need to deal with that fact and come to reality.  

I was one of the people who was overly optimistic.  I thought with 7 home games Nebraska had a chance to get to 9 wins.  Yeah I was wrong but I ain't apologizing to you, or anyone for that matter, for being optimistic in pre-season/fall camp.

Since our 0-2 start though, I have seen just how bad we are.  The ugly truth is were have been a bad, poorly coached, football team with thin depth at half the positions for the last 6 years at least.

What we are seeing this season is the fruition of the last six years of suck.  We are harvesting right now what was planted during Riley's three years.

It is going to take HCSF and his coaches time to fix what is wrong.  I am not saying the season is lost because It is not.  What I am saying is that things are probably going to get worse (much worse) before they get better.

In summary, constantly bitching about how we lost to Troy does no good.  It happened and you need to come to grips with it.  

And yeah last year, after the loss to Northern Illinois I was pissed to.  The difference was Riley was in year 3.  Frost is two games into year one.  Cut him some slack.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

You

The point ------>

Losses happen.  You need to deal with that fact and come to reality.  

I was one of the people who was overly optimistic.  I thought with 7 home games Nebraska had a chance to get to 9 wins.  Yeah I was wrong but I ain't apologizing to you, or anyone for that matter, for being optimistic in pre-season/fall camp.

Since our 0-2 start though, I have seen just how bad we are.  The ugly truth is were have been a bad, poorly coached, football team with thin depth at half the positions for the last 6 years at least.

What we are seeing this season is the fruition of the last six years of suck.  We are harvesting right now what was planted during Riley's three years.

It is going to take HCSF and his coaches time to fix what is wrong.  I am not saying the season is lost because It is not.  What I am saying is that things are probably going to get worse (much worse) before they get better.

In summary, constantly bitching about how we lost to Troy does no good.  It happened and you need to come to grips with it.  

And yeah last year, after the loss to Northern Illinois I was pissed to.  The difference was Riley was in year 3.  Frost is two games into year one.  Cut him some slack.

Thats all fine but this goes back to the false bravado that has been spewed for months. Even our coach was saying he didn’t want to re schedule on 12/1 because this team could be in Indianapolis.  

You’re going to take some abuse for that when you lose to a sun belt team at home. 

• Plus1 1