Husker Chalk Talk: Concept Wednesday - The Speed Option

Cdog923

32 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

There aren't a lot of good blocking angles; maybe a PA screen out to the flat? 

With the safety(23) creeping up it basically put 8 guys in the box leaving 3 guys 1-on-1 on the outside. If my understanding of this offense is correct it should not have been a running play at all.

16 minutes ago, Gage County said:

Here's the second play of the game, the Martinez option

zKMwnY.gif

I'd say that's mostly just bad luck running at a high NFL draft choice.  If Gary stays wide, Martinez can attack a shoulder and hold Gary long enough for the pitch to be open.  But Gary crashes hard so he already has a running start at Martinez when he makes him pitch but he's fast enough to flow through and get to the pitch as well.

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'd say that's mostly just bad luck running at a high NFL draft choice.  If Gary stays wide, Martinez can attack a shoulder and hold Gary long enough for the pitch to be open.  But Gary crashes hard so he already has a running start at Martinez when he makes him pitch but he's fast enough to flow through and get to the pitch as well.

Even if Martinez gets Gary hamstrung, the safety has a shot at stopping the play for no gain. Michigan is just too fast for that play to work.

Just now, Gage County said:

Even if Martinez gets Gary hamstrung, the safety has a shot at stopping the play for no gain. Michigan is just too fast for that play to work.

I'm not sure what play you are going to draw up that is better than having a RB against a S in open space with no one else to help.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Gage County said:

Here's the second play of the game, the Martinez option

zKMwnY.gif

Yep, that's the one I was talking about.  Three things:

a)  People have said the goal is to get the RB in a one on one in open space.  Well....that's basically what we had and it still didn't work.  

b)  There is a chance that if he keeps running and doesn't try to cut back inside, he at least gets back to the LOS.

c)  If Martinez would have simply made contact with the LB instead of turning away, he would have easily blocked him from making a play on the RB.  The RB would have then had a running start to try to get past the safety.  Frost has said you need to be tough to plat QB for him.  That wouldn't have even been much of a hit and it would have made a big difference in the play.

These are all little things that can be coached.  In this game, unfortunately, we had things like this happen on almost every play.

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep, that's the one I was talking about.  Three things:

a)  People have said the goal is to get the RB in a one on one in open space.  Well....that's basically what we had and it still didn't work.  

b)  There is a chance that if he keeps running and doesn't try to cut back inside, he at least gets back to the LOS.

c)  If Martinez would have simply made contact with the LB instead of turning away, he would have easily blocked him from making a play on the RB.  The RB would have then had a running start to try to get past the safety.  Frost has said you need to be tough to plat QB for him.  That wouldn't have even been much of a hit and it would have made a big difference in the play.

These are all little things that can be coached.  In this game, unfortunately, we had things like this happen on almost every play.

When I first saw this play, I wondered how much Martinez's knee factored into his psyche. He seemed timid on this play, not playing fast, refusing to throw a block. This was only the second play of the game, and the execution lacked confidence. Neither the QB or RB seemed especially willing to attack. There was so much talk about the interception a couple plays later breaking the team's will, but they seemed fragile and hesitant right out of the gate. 

• Plus1 3
27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

In general I agree with you, but that's not a linebacker. That's the 280 lb DE who would love an excuse to rip the QB's head off. Add in the fact that we have 2 walk-on backups and Martinez has already been hurt this year and I doubt the staff would encourage him to do that. If that was a LB maybe, but you do have to be a little smart with your QB.

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

In general I agree with you, but that's not a linebacker. That's the 280 lb DE who would love an excuse to rip the QB's head off. Add in the fact that we have 2 walk-on backups and Martinez has already been hurt this year and I doubt the staff would encourage him to do that. If that was a LB maybe, but you do have to be a little smart with your QB.

Well, if that's the case, then our offense is in trouble.  Our offense is based on a QB being willing to take a hit every once in a while.  That same 280 lb DE sacked him a several times throughout the game and he got back up just fine.