A Stupid Question

Zaimejs

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Would you rather be 2-2 and stuck with Riley for 5 years, or 0-4 looking at the future with Frost? Asking your friend.

The future, the future 20xx, recruits down the road, system has to be implemented, just wait until, showing signs of, he went undefeated at UCF.  Did I cover it? When does this stop being ther rhetoric we have heard for 18 years?  You just have to wait....I ask for what, to repeat the same thing again.   But Kingblank this years different....o so it continues. 

Playing along, realistically I think Nebraska would be 1-3 right now. Their sole win being vs Troy. Purdue would be a toss up, Riley may have won that one making Nebraska 2-2, but I still think we get embarrassed by Michigan and we lose to Colorado. Our excuses if Riley were still around would be the defense still learning Diaco's scheme and Gebbia still needing game experience. Some would be hopeful things would progress as the defense learns under Diaco for the second year, and Gebbia molds into a great QB. Others would realize we weren't going to win more than 7 games and be stuck in this .500 purgatory, knowing the ceiling of Riley's career had already been reached.

3 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I just want to win and I don't care who the coach is.

That's about the most short-sighted thing I've heard in quite awhile. Personally I'd prefer the cultural structure gets fixed even if it means some short term pain.

You must've been happy with Pelini consistently winning nine games, none of which included anything meaningful.

17 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

If we're winning, our culture isn't likely to be an issue.

Frost may or may not be our Savior (blasphemy, I know...) and if he isn't? Well, maybe the next guy will fix it. I have zero control over who the coach is so why should I get emotionally invested in that? I have Anxiety, MDD and severe PTSD (PTSD is bad enough that it causes dissociative seizures), so it isn't wise for me to get to emotionally invested in things I have little to no control over. Short sighted? Hardly.

Are you emotionally invested in Nebraska football?

If yes, please start controlling how many 3rd and long conversions the Huskers give up on defense. 

50 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Frost may or may not be our Savior (blasphemy, I know...) and if he isn't? Well, maybe the next guy will fix it. I have zero control over who the coach is so why should I get emotionally invested in that? I have Anxiety, MDD and severe PTSD (PTSD is bad enough that it causes dissociative seizures), so it isn't wise for me to get to emotionally invested in things I have little to no control over. Short sighted? Hardly.

Is a 9-4 season winning to you? If so, tell me you were happy with the culture Bo instilled in the team?

If we’re winning, our culture isn’t likely to be an issue, you say? You must be talking about the today’s Bama type of winning, because a large % of husker fans, were conflicted with winning 9 games, if Bo’s pleasant disposition was the price they continually would have had to endure!

Its time we stop trying to scrape the old dried sh*t from our boots, pretending we’re all dressed up, ready to go to the dance, and start from scratch! Thus; welcome HCSF. Doing it right will take time!

7 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I don’t care if Frost is the guy or not either, although I believe if it’s anybody it is him. My point was, this program has structural flaws and it has been a sh#t sandwich for 15 years. As long as that is being remedied and corrected for the long term, some mind numbing losses in the short term really don’t mean squat to me. Without any conference titles or wins of importance, it doesn’t matter to me if we go 1-11 or 6-6 or Pelini’s magic 9-3. The record literally doesn’t matter to me if we’re getting prison raped by any team with a pulse. So yeah, I think it’s shortsighted to think 2-2 is any better than 0-4 if those two wins come with the proven top end limits of a Mike Riley or Bo Pelini. But then again the only PTSD I have is from the last 15 years of Husker football and that wouldn’t appear to be the type you’re talking about. If I had the real thing, I probably would’ve already run away as fast and far as I could from Husker football.

I think Pelini would have won a couple more games than Riley in 2015, but that's not an endorsement of Pelini.

Now did I think Scott Frost could just waltz into Husker football, take the same talent and coach them up better than Riley's 4-8 season?

Yeah. I guess I did. 

Now if Scott manages to turn this around, win five games, upset a Top 10 team, squeeze into a bowl game and win it, he will have replicated Mike Riley's first season.

So let's just throw all expectations out the window and reconvene in 2020, when Frost's culture and recruiting should be taking hold.

I'll miss you guys!

16 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

That is disingenuous.

You need to copy a little more of my comment, then it will make a little more sense.

But I will respond by saying; 

It most certainly is not! Fans were happy to get to 9 wins, but his antics and lack of adult like emotions, drilled our team further into the abyss. I heard it the first year he was here, among boosters and donors, they were conflicted as heck. The ending speech he provided our student athletes with, was proof enough that he was not good for our culture development!

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

You implied that fans weren't happy with 9 wins. And my answer was not incorrect.

Yikes! Let me help you with what I stated! 

Quote “because a large % of husker fans, were conflicted with winning 9 games, if Bo’s pleasant disposition was the price they continually would have had to endure! “Unquote

1 minute ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

You implied that fans weren't happy with 9 wins. And my answer was not incorrect.

I wasn’t satisfied with his 9 wins or, maybe more accurately, I wasn’t happy with his 3-4 losses. And really little of that had to do with his demeanor....until his last two years anyway.  But then again I thought a marginally trained monkey could’ve secured the same amount of wins and Riley blew that theory out of the water. This is why culture and “in the deed” is more important than the W-L record.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I wasn’t satisfied with his 9 wins or, maybe more accurately, I wasn’t happy with his 3-4 losses. And really little of that had to do with his demeanor....until his last two years anyway.  But then again I thought a marginally trained monkey could’ve secured the same amount of wins and Riley blew that theory out of the water. This is why culture and “in the deed” is more important than the W-L record.

By in large JJ, you looking past his demeanor the first couple of years, isn’t an unusual sentiment. We all, fans, administrators, past players, were starving to taste what once was a given. Most, either turned a blind eye to it, were not fully aware of it, or simply thought with time, he would grow out of his childish behaviors. But you are right in mentioning that his losses were upstaging his wins. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
17 minutes ago, TAKODA said:

Yikes! Let me help you with what I stated! 

Quote “because a large % of husker fans, were conflicted with winning 9 games, if Bo’s pleasant disposition was the price they continually would have had to endure! “Unquote

For some of you younger folks, Tom Osborne was notoriously pleasant and consistently won 9 games, but there were many years in his first 20 seasons when the fanbase grumbled about those 9 wins not being enough. 

The only difference: no internet. 

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

What you and Takoda are saying reflects my thoughts exactly about Pelini, Riley, and culture.

With Pelini, I had actually learned to accept that we may never be in the national championship picture again and could probably be content with 9 wins, but Pelini's behavior and the mentality that he instilled were unacceptable. Was underwhelmed by Riley's hire but if he could have brought a more positive culture and still have Pelini's record, I could have lived with it and simply waxed nostalgic for the good ol' days. But ultimately, Pelini was crap. Riley was crap. I agree that culture is important, and with the right culture will finally come success. Maybe.