The Better America of our Dreams

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On 10/25/2021 at 6:49 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Couldn’t really find the right thread to put this in. So, I’ll put it here. 

It’s so true and something I’ve always believed. 

To be fair, one of the most all documented and studied aspects of Political Science looks at the ways in which Democratic voters approve of programs and that benefit rural voters.

Republicans voting against their own interests is a well known phenomenon.  Thomas Frank wrote "What's the Matter with Kansas?" nearly two decades ago. In that book he details how conservatives in the state weaponized right-wing populism to motivate voters on explosive cultural issues, and in doing so, convinced them to reject spending and tax law that would benefit most people in the state. 

This book predicted that most of American politics would eventually devolve into something similar more than 12 years before it happened. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/What's_the_Matter_with_Kansas%3F_(book)

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

When the riots of 2020 erupted I sat my kids down and we watched this speech. I asked them to pick out 5 things from the speech that caught their attention and we would talk about them. I had forgotten just how great this speech was. We watch it every MLK day as a reminder

https://www.npr.org/2010/01/18/122701268/i-have-a-dream-speech-in-its-entirety

Below is some of the language in the speech that stood out to me given the events of that time, but it’s worth the entire read.

“When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence…”

“We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation.”

“In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.”

“…one day right down in Alabama little Black boys and Black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.”

”And when this happens, and when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, Black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual: Free at last. Free at last. Thank God almighty, we are free at last.”

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...