The Better America of our Dreams

32 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think politicians today could accomplish similar things.  But, that would have to be after getting rid of television cameras, social media, broadcast speeches, talking media wackos, political talk shows....etc.

Back then, the vast majority of what the public saw was what the result was.  They didn't constantly hear propaganda 24/7 put out by people who really don't care what the truth is.  If you put most of the politicians in a room with no windows or camaras to pander to and absolutely no televised interviews before or after.......way more things would get done that are good for the country.

First of all, people like MTG, Boebert, Jordan...bla bla bla...wouldn't even be in congress.

I agree 100%.  Everyone has to pander to their base supports before they can do anything.  If there was none of the above mentioned media coverage 24/7, the politicians would be free to compromise and work together.  The current environment of 24/7 media prevents that from happening.   The other party was often called 'the loyal opposition' years ago.  Now they are called traitors or worse.  Idots like MTG, Boebert, Jordan - have only one power source - the media.  They have no ideas and have small brains. Without their ability to stir up controversy and hype up the lowest common feelings of fear & anger in small thinking voters, they would be nowhere to be found in Congress.  And just think how close H Walker got to becoming an US Senator from Ga.  The great Senators of the past like Henry Clay, Daniel Webster, Robert Taft, etc would be rolling in their graves if Walker were to have become a Senator. 

• TBH 1
  • 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Great story.   Woman's college softball game - where real sportsmanship came first 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-right-thing-to-do-college-softball-players-carry-injured-opponent-around-bases-after-grand-slam/ar-AA188OY5?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=39baef20d5c24d91b6d07a5fba1e6480&ei=37

•  

• Southeastern University was playing Grand View University in Lakeland, Fla. this weekend.
  • Southeastern was ahead 4-1, but their opponents had the bases loaded when Kaitlyn Moses, the catcher for the Grand View Vikings, hit a grand slam.
  • Between first and second base, Moses suffered an injury and fell to the ground in pain. Two Southeastern players lifted Moses up and carried her across three bases.

Players said the rules prohibited members of Moses’ own team from touching her. If they did, the runs wouldn’t count, they said.

With the win on the line, Cunningham and Gonzalez lifted Moses up and carried her across three bases. They made sure to tap her foot on each base, pushing their opponent ahead in a game they would end up losing 7–4.  

Moses asked Cunningham and Gonzalez for hugs before being taken to her dugout by her teammates.

“Me and Chapel were like, ‘Girl, don’t you worry. You deserved that. You hit the ball, injuries happen. We’re here for you,’” Gonzalez said.

“I just knew it was the right thing to do,” said Cunningham. “Here at Southeastern they teach us, or especially on our team, they try to tell us to do the thing that ought to be done and I knew that that was what we should do, so we didn’t really think twice.”

Grand View Softball Coach Lou Yacinich lauded the Southeastern players in a statement shared shortly after the game.

“The display of sportsmanship by the Southeastern University Softball team speaks volumes to their character, humanity, and greater purpose,” Yacinich said. “The result of their actions caused their team in the game to trail by one run, yet that was of minimal concern to those players in that moment.”

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

How often does this happen!?!?

Good for the girls.  But at some point these hitters got to stop getting hurt jogging the bases.  Good lordy!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/unbelievable-act-of-sportsmanship/

• TBH 1
20 minutes ago, funhusker said:

How often does this happen!?!?

Good for the girls.  But at some point these hitters got to stop getting hurt jogging the bases.  Good lordy!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/unbelievable-act-of-sportsmanship/

It once happened to me playing adult league slow pitch softball.  I played shortstop and just before our turn to bat, the other team hit a ball towards 2nd base and I turned to try to snag it.  I felt something pull in the back of my leg but I walked it off.  I was the first batter up at the bottom of the inning and the pitcher walked me. I took one step towards 1st base and I felt something snap in my leg and I went down - felt like the bat had bounced off the ground and hit me in the calf.  Unfortunately, the other team wasn't so kind as the example in our story today- I was called out as I couldn't make it to first. My team carried me off of the field.  How humiliating!!   Achillies tendon as you might have guessed.  

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, TGHusker said:

It once happened to me playing adult league slow pitch softball.  I played shortstop and just before our turn to bat, the other team hit a ball towards 2nd base and I turned to try to snag it.  I felt something pull in the back of my leg but I walked it off.  I was the first batter up at the bottom of the inning and the pitcher walked me. I took one step towards 1st base and I felt something snap in my leg and I went down - felt like the bat had bounced off the ground and hit me in the calf.  Unfortunately, the other team wasn't so kind as the example in our story today- I was called out as I couldn't make it to first. My team carried me off of the field.  How humiliating!!   Achillies tendon as you might have guessed.  

Ha. Almost exact same thing happened to me in a coed beer league game years ago.  I hit a nice shot into right center, easy single, but my first step towards 1st base my plantar fascia tendon popped, I hopped a couple more steps and went down. Nobody carried me to first base either. That was a painful injury but probably not as bad as an achilles.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I thought I was pretty fast well into my 50s, but just when you think you're leading a fast break you find yourself in a heap on the floor with a bunch of over-40 guys standing over you, welcoming you into the blown hamstring club. 

I did that all by myself in my 30s and had to walk a quarter mile home. Even warmed up for 15 minutes and did light sprints before I went all out. But nope, hammy went pop!

I love hearing my dad's friends tell the story of him blowing his ACL in softball. "He rounded first, headed to second, then just kept going into the outfield, and we said uh oh!"

• Haha 1

Started playing pickleball because I'm of that age, and we lost three people to injury the first three weeks, including the unmistakable pop of an achilles. 

And that guy was the youngest and most athletic of the bunch. 

I'm waiting for nanotechnology to restore me to full youth. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Started playing pickleball because I'm of that age, and we lost three people to injury the first three weeks, including the unmistakable pop of an achilles. 

Amen!

On 3/3/2023 at 7:15 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

The bold :laughpound   It is a bummer getting old.  Beats the alternative though.   A co-worker of mine took up pickleball a while ago.  His wife ended up tearing up her knee because of it.   I've heard there has been a lot of injuries from the game - our bodies aren't quite ready for the quick movements needed in the game.   About now - couch potato seems to be the best choice for sports!!

Bored Remote Control GIF by Travis

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1