The Better America of our Dreams

4 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Term limits for every single federal job without exception is a no-brainer to me.

Strict regulations around being able to personally benefit from insider information while serving in the federal government is also a no-brainer to me.

So custodians at the VA?!?!  

I could maybe get behind term limits of elected officials, but I really feel if the constituents want them, why should they not be allowed?

Voters need to be smarter.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Haven't posted here in some time, but thought this might generate bipartisan support. 

Welcome back. 

I support the general idea. 

But, Nancy’s husband owns a successful venture capital company and I believe he did before she was a senator. 

Mitch’s wife comes from a wealthy family and I’m sure has inherited a lot. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Welcome back. 

I support the general idea. 

But, Nancy’s husband owns a successful venture capital company and I believe he did before she was a senator. 

Mitch’s wife comes from a wealthy family and I’m sure has inherited a lot. 

Maybe I am in the minority here BUT if it is something like, he/she gets a tip/info about a company and they buy stock in it, well, I get, I think we would all do the same.  Is it wrong, sure, is it against the law, yeah.  But it is sort of one of those things that just doesn't bother me.  And I don't really give a crap about either of them.  

With that said, if that DO that and it is against the law (which it is) and they get caught, they should be in trouble.  

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Maybe I am in the minority here BUT if it is something like, he/she gets a tip/info about a company and they buy stock in it, well, I get, I think we would all do the same.  Is it wrong, sure, is it against the law, yeah.  But it is sort of one of those things that just doesn't bother me.  And I don't really give a crap about either of them.  

With that said, if that DO that and it is against the law (which it is) and they get caught, they should be in trouble.  

The problem is when they do things in congress that isn't best for Americans....but good for their investment.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 2

8 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Term limits for every single federal job without exception is a no-brainer to me.

Strict regulations around being able to personally benefit from insider information while serving in the federal government is also a no-brainer to me.

In general I agree with this, but I feel you still need veteran legislators who, for lack of a better phrase, have seen some stuff. It worries me that the Senate could have a brain drain. I know that sounds stupid since we complain about them all the time; but in times of war, disaster, financial crisis we need experienced people in place.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

In general I agree with this, but I feel you still need veteran legislators who, for lack of a better phrase, have seen some stuff. It worries me that the Senate could have a brain drain. I know that sounds stupid since we complain about them all the time, but in times of war, disaster, financial crisis we need experienced people in place.

Honestly....I've come to believe that if we have term limits, we end up with more MTG, Bobo type politicians.

• TBH 2

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Also, if your term limit is "up" and you know you are done...are you really going to be all that productive as a worker?

"Oh, this is my last year...no matter what...I am just going to screw around"

For once you actually have a decent point.

What really needs to change are campaign finance laws, time frames that politicians can campaign, and ethics laws regarding investment activities by politicians and their families.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
59 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Also, if your term limit is "up" and you know you are done...are you really going to be all that productive as a worker?

"Oh, this is my last year...no matter what...I am just going to screw around"

On the flip side, if your term limit is up, more politicians could vote their conscience instead of voting for reelection.   Probably gets more cooperation between parties because you won’t have the “he needs to be primaries because he voted for the other parties bill”. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

On the flip side, if your term limit is up, more politicians could vote their conscience instead of voting for reelection.   Probably gets more cooperation between parties because you won’t have the “he needs to be primaries because he voted for the other parties bill”. 

That is a really good point.

• Thanks 1