Chinander by the numbers

47 minutes ago, mnhusker said:

I bit of a tangent but not worthy of a new thread ..... one big part  of this defense is getting turnovers, that's cool but .....  I was very bummed out to see how many extra yards backs were getting while the defense worked on stripping the ball.  The play that comes to mind was when the Iowa back did not go down and the orgasmic announcers couldn't stop spouting off ......about how tough the back was.  From my armchair I saw a bunch of defenders practically holding the guy up working on a strip while the back rumbled forward rather then putting him on the ground.  When this happens you get 3 yard plays go for 6 - 7.    I'd rather see tough sound tackling and let the fumbles follow.

The team works on tackling a lot.  Part of the reason our defense isn't perfect at tackling is because they've been taught different things.

Remember when Eichorst got involved?

And, if after the initial tackler got there and no other players tried to strip the ball, we'd hear griping about that......

4 hours ago, mnhusker said:

I bit of a tangent but not worthy of a new thread ..... one big part  of this defense is getting turnovers, that's cool but .....  I was very bummed out to see how many extra yards backs were getting while the defense worked on stripping the ball.  The play that comes to mind was when the Iowa back did not go down and the orgasmic announcers couldn't stop spouting off ......about how tough the back was.  From my armchair I saw a bunch of defenders practically holding the guy up working on a strip while the back rumbled forward rather then putting him on the ground.  When this happens you get 3 yard plays go for 6 - 7.    I'd rather see tough sound tackling and let the fumbles follow.

Yes go for turnovers as it makes sense. Don’t let Iowa be in 2nd and 3 when you could have had them in 2nd and 7 because you were trying to strip the ball instead of tackling. 

4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Those star rankings are the only way to judge talent, haven't you been on this board for a while??? :cowbell:

I do put quite a bit of stock in the rankings, however I don't think Nebraska will ever regularly get top 10 classes. Maybe not ever regularly get top 15 classes. But I think Frost will do better than the previous 2 coaches with similar talent. They just need players who have been selected by them and in their system for more than 11 months, IMO.

I'm just curious for all the people who know chin isn't the answer, how good should this defense have been?  

With no true nose tackle, no pass rushers at olb all vital positions in a 3-4 along with a starting corner who can't/doesn't tackle where should they have ranked? Top 10, 25, 50? 

A lot of these guys are on their 3rd DC. I really don't know what people expected out of this defense. I think a lot of people think because this is Nebraska things should just happen and thats not realistic. This defense is going to get better but its going to be bad for a while.

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

I do put quite a bit of stock in the rankings, however I don't think Nebraska will ever regularly get top 10 classes. Maybe not ever regularly get top 15 classes. But I think Frost will do better than the previous 2 coaches with similar talent.

I think top 15 is doable, but need 9-10+ wins next year to get there.  This year will be more diamonds in the rough and a few high rated guys.  I think 20-23ish is where this class will settle.

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think top 15 is doable, but need 9-10+ wins next year to get there.  This year will be more diamonds in the rough and a few high rated guys.  I think 20-23ish is where this class will settle.

If Frost were to get a 20-25 class every year, I think he'd do better than Pelini did with it. I don't think he'd win a national championship but I think we'd get to and probably win conference championships. At that point I'd hope the classes would improve at least slightly. If he does as well as Pelini did, I think most of us would be pretty happy, as long as we're not losing by 40 points to Wisconsin and/or Ohio State every year.

4 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I'm just curious for all the people who know chin isn't the answer, how good should this defense have been?  

With no true nose tackle, no pass rushers at olb all vital positions in a 3-4 along with a starting corner who can't/doesn't tackle where should they have ranked? Top 10, 25, 50? 

A lot of these guys are on their 3rd DC. I really don't know what people expected out of this defense. I think a lot of people think because this is Nebraska things should just happen and thats not realistic. This defense is going to get better but its going to be bad for a while.

Well said.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

i think for me,  the Iowa game was frustrating because i didn't see any adjustments to stop the cut back runs that were getting big yardage for Iowa....that play was there for them the entire game........our guys upfront continued to over pursue and no one stayed home for the inevitable cut back...so, we are saying that was not a coaching error?  

10 hours ago, runningblind said:

Those star rankings are the only way to judge talent, haven't you been on this board for a while??? :cowbell:

The star rankings aren't an end all be all but after this many years of these services rating players, they have a pretty good idea of who the elite players are.

Can they miss sometimes?  Of course.  They can't determine the mental makeup of the player.  Meaning they don't know if a player will understand the more complex nuances of college football (See Rairdon, John).  Also, they can't predict how a player will do in a particular offense or defense at a college because they don't know how they will be used.

10 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

Chinander improved the defense in some specific areas of the game.  So it wasn't totally a non-improvement.  For me, I expected a bit of a jump in total defense from last year considering how abysmal it was.  It finished exactly the same.  I figured that he could find a way to reduce yards a bit more.  Didn't really happen.  

I don't know if Chinander is the right DC or not.  But it's certainly too early to make the determination.  

• Plus1 1