The Transfer Portal... not what it's cracked up to be?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm curious how long it will take before kids start figuring out that there just aren't that many places available.  If they're going G5 or D-II they'll have options.  Trying to go to another P5 program isn't going to work for very many.

That's what i keep getting back to in all of this.

OK, there's a thread on here about a prediction that there's going to be a mass exodus of top players from the program after Friday.  Fine....where are they going to go?  Other P5 programs have top HS players coming in.  If you aren't performing here, why would another P5 program all of a sudden think all of you are top talent to pass up on bringing in another good HS player?

So, why wouldn't you just work your a$$ off here to make it work?  

That's a life lesson right there.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 year later...

I think most players want attention and media on them, and transferring will do that.

I also think we might be getting into some new territory, where players who have entered the portal are passing down good advice to the newbies, to "stay where you at"... because it's brutal being a dog without a home.

• 2 weeks later...

On 1/1/2022 at 12:37 PM, Mavric said:

Here's my attempt to read way too much into this.

But, with all the turmoil around the Husker program, I view it as a good sign that we are not on this list.  Possibly the vast majority of players in the program are still bought into the program and staff and aren't looking for greener pastures somewhere else.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's my attempt to read way too much into this.

But, with all the turmoil around the Husker program, I view it as a good sign that we are not on this list.  Possibly the vast majority of players in the program are still bought into the program and staff and aren't looking for greener pastures somewhere else.

Yeah, I'm actually a little surprised there haven't been at least a couple more.  Just seems like the way things are now-a-days.

But I tend to agree that most must be bought in pretty well considering how far down the depth chart some of them are.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I'm actually a little surprised there haven't been at least a couple more.  Just seems like the way things are now-a-days.

But I tend to agree that most must be bought in pretty well considering how far down the depth chart some of them are.

Hopefully, the players are generally happy with the DONU experience notwithstanding the losing record and coach dismissals etc.  This really has to be a very positive indication.  The teams’ academic results appear very good and at least some are actually there as students with education in mind.  Lincoln is a good place socially, generally speaking, so students can do a lot worse certainly.  

My impression is the Ath Department is very supportive, positive and interested in every student’s experience and outcome.  This is critical and fundamental.  Imo.  DONU should never be less than top ten or better.  This is half the battle.  Good people doing great things.  

It would be impossible to expect 100% satisfaction by every athlete but with all the issues and turmoil it is great to see nearly all our athletes sticking together and being winners in the most important parts of life.  
Bravo to Trev, Frost, Cook, Williams, etal.