Republican Anti-Democracy and Voter Disenfranchisement

On 6/18/2021 at 7:21 PM, DevoHusker said:

Sorry I could not resist. I think many on this list are dead, or no longer living in the state. This should be an annual occurance for each state, although I will admit that gov't never does anything well, and will likley jack it up for some voters. 

2cartoon-6.25.21.6.25.21-6.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, nic said:

Sorry I could not resist. I think many on this list are dead, or no longer living in the state. This should be an annual occurance for each state, although I will admit that gov't never does anything well, and will likley jack it up for some voeters. 

2cartoon-6.25.21.6.25.21-6.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

You are correct, and the first to say so. This should be a regular/scheduled practice.

• Plus1 1
On 6/25/2021 at 9:14 AM, DevoHusker said:

I have not read the bill, but have read commentary from news media on both sides of the aisle. It’s a shame I have to do that. I also saw the Wash Post fact checker give 4 Pinocchio’s for the incorrect early claims about the law’s restrictive voting times, etc. I do not see how this lawsuit goes anywhere. I suspect an attempted delay tactic through appeal until 2022 is over. It seems like there are new laws in other states that would be easier to go after. I can’t remember the details now, but there was a provision in the Texas law that made me raise an eyebrow. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, nic said:

I have not read the bill, but have read commentary from news media on both sides of the aisle. It’s a shame I have to do that. I also saw the Wash Post fact checker give 4 Pinocchio’s for the incorrect early claims about the law’s restrictive voting times, etc. I do not see how this lawsuit goes anywhere. I suspect an attempted delay tactic through appeal until 2022 is over. It seems like there are new laws in other states that would be easier to go after. I can’t remember the details now, but there was a provision in the Texas law that made me raise an eyebrow. 

The DOJ will lose this lawsuit.  

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

The DOJ will lose this lawsuit.  

When our school district offered school of choice where you could use 2/3s of the state $ for your child to go to private or other schools of choice, they got sued to stop the program.  One side or the other would lose and appeal. Seemed like each appeal would take a year to go to trial. Eventually the school board was replaced with new members who decided to drop the program 4 years later. It was never really settled, but since the first judge halted the program, the teachers Union won by “forfeit”. Tying it up in court can be a win.

• Plus1 1