challenge for trump supporters

52 minutes ago, funhusker said:

What is the Trump’s goal with China?

Trump thinks a trade deficit means we're losing. He thinks if China sells more goods to us than we sell to them, they're winning and we're losing. He complained about the same thing back in the 1980s with Japan (although watching the 2nd video below, that was more to do with our military aid).

Trump's goal is for China to have a trade deficit with us.

He has a fundamental misunderstanding of the "problem." I'm not saying it's a great thing to have a trade deficit, but he doesn't understand the basics, at all. E.g., if we buy a bunch of raw s#!t from a primitive country and then makes rockets out of it, and they buy nothing from us, we sure as hell aren't the loser. On a more detailed level - the most poorly tracked export is Services, because they don't come in through a port, and they happen to be the thing the U.S. makes the most $ from.

Another thing is he is obsessed only with $ amounts. I don't think he considers the existence of military bases in other countries as part of the equation. 

I hadn't even seen this video before but the guy talking in the middle talks about the winner/loser thing.

^ He definitely has degraded a lot mentally. He was a lot more well spoken back then than he is now.

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Trump thinks a trade deficit means we're losing. He thinks if China sells more goods to us than we sell to them, they're winning and we're losing. He complained about the same thing back in the 1980s with Japan (although watching the 2nd video below, that was more to do with our military aid).

He has a fundamental misunderstanding of the "problem." I'm not saying it's a great thing to have a trade deficit, but he doesn't understand the basics, at all. E.g., if we buy a bunch of raw s#!t from a primitive country and then makes rockets out of it, and they buy nothing from us, we sure as hell aren't the loser. On a more detailed level - the most poorly tracked export is Services, because they don't come in through a port, and they happen to be the thing the U.S. makes the most $ from.

Another thing is he is obsessed only with $ amounts. I don't think he considers the existence of military bases in other countries as part of the equation. 

I hadn't even seen this video before but the guy talking in the middle talks about the winner/loser thing.

^ He definitely has degraded a lot mentally. He was a lot more well spoken back then than he is now.

All the TV he watches is turning his brain to mush

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

@Notre Dame Joe, is this what you were referring to?  Or do you think Trump has a different goal in mind?

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

@Notre Dame Joe, is this what you were referring to?  Or do you think Trump has a different goal in mind?

I didn't realize that was who you were replying to, so you probably really wanted to know what he thinks it is.

Regardless of the answer, I'm pretty sure having a trade surplus with China is the goal, even if it tanks our economy.

4 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Trump is always ahead of the winds of change.  But with China Trump more or less changed them himself.  Before his election politicians talked of China like it was Canada.

i will bet you a dollar that trump never negotiates any trade treaty with china.   matter of fact....can you name 1 treaty or deal he has signed into law/   so far all he has done is break and withdraw from them.    

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, commando said:

i will bet you a dollar that trump never negotiates any trade treaty with china.   matter of fact....can you name 1 treaty or deal he has signed into law/   so far all he has done is break and withdraw from them.    

North Korea? NAFTA 2.0? Just throwing a couple deals out there

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, jsneb83 said:

North Korea? NAFTA 2.0? Just throwing a couple deals out there

what has been signed with north korea?   and nafta 2 has not been ratified by anyone.   it wasn't much more than a photo op then it was relegated to the dust bin

2 hours ago, commando said:

what has been signed with north korea?   and nafta 2 has not been ratified by anyone.   it wasn't much more than a photo op then it was relegated to the dust bin

I know they are both completely bogus, but you know those are the ones that he'll cling to. I mean, North Korea didn't even hold up their end of the agreement and we aren't even doing anything about it.

1 minute ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

That's a pretty hard marker to pass.  When was the last time any treaty was signed and ratified?

obama signed several

the paris accords which trump dropped out of

a nuclear arms treaty with russia that trump dropped

the trans-pacific trade deal...while not finished it was also dropped by trump.   dropping it without a new deal actually gave china more ammo for their trade war against us.

there were other smaller trade deals also signed

FWIW the original nafta which is still being used as the new agreement hasn't been ratified by  anyone was signed by clinton

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, commando said:

obama signed several

the paris accords which trump dropped out of

a nuclear arms treaty with russia that trump dropped

the trans-pacific trade deal...while not finished it was also dropped by trump.   dropping it without a new deal actually gave china more ammo for their trade war against us.

there were other smaller trade deals also signed

FWIW the original nafta which is still being used as the new agreement hasn't been ratified by  anyone was signed by clinton

Yeah they were on the Executive's pen level.  Free to be altered by the next man in.  China has all but announced they will gamble on Trump losing to someone weaker. NK is like trying to negotiate with an unruly teenager.  The newish NAFTA appears to have assent and Mexico somewhat cooperative.  My point is that Trump is doing what he said and going to bat instead of giving away the store 

• Thanks 1
Just now, Notre Dame Joe said:

Yeah they were on the Executive's pen level.  Free to be altered by the next man in.  China has all but announced they will gamble on Trump losing to someone weaker. NK is like trying to negotiate with an unruly teenager.  The newish NAFTA appears to have assent and Mexico somewhat cooperative.  My point is that Trump is doing what he said and going to bat instead of giving away the store 

trump didn't know that trying to negotiate with n korea was like trying to negotiate with an unruly teenager?  so he goes in and gives kim some room and kim takes it.  and trump appears ready to give kim more instead of stopping when he is already this far behind.

the newish nafta is about 95% the old nafta.  that is why no one is in a hurry to waste time ratifying it.

china was never going to negotiate with trump, all his trade war is doing is hurting american farmers , consumers, and companies.   and that is all it will ever do,   trump waddled into that mess on his own volition.

and so far the great negotiator has absolutely nothing done that requires negotiations.    he just tears down stuff and crows how he has done more than any president in history.

and saying that stuff is bad enough without mentioning his narcism, kleptocrattic ways, nepotism, and racism.