challenge for trump supporters

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

:blink:

Really?

The OP is simply asking Trump supporters if they are willing to act in the work place the same way Trump acts in his work place......for which they seem to support.

Not sure how your challenge is similar to that.  Care to expand on that?

I don’t believe the OP actually believed people would do it or that was their intention. The post seemed to be more of an emotional statement about their disapproval of the president and his actions and rightfully so. I took it as a tongue-in-cheek statement. How many “Trump supporters” are active in the politics section (maybe it’s growing)? Independent/Democrat posters vastly outnumber these supporters. Just seemed like an odd statement, but that’s just my opinion. Although some of my coworkers are on social media/their phones as much as Donny.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I don’t believe the OP actually believed people would do it or that was their intention. The post seemed to be more of an emotional statement about their disapproval of the president and his actions and rightfully so. I took it as a tongue-in-cheek statement. How many “Trump supporters” are active in the politics section (maybe it’s growing)? Independent/Democrat posters vastly outnumber these supporters. Just seemed like an odd statement, but that’s just my opinion. Although some of my coworkers are on social media/their phones as much as Donny.

Sure it was, in large part, tongue-in-cheek.  But, at least it had a point.  Trying to point out the hypocrisy of Trump supporters that support him for the most powerful office in the world and representing all of us on the world stage......while also realizing they should not act that way or support those actions in every day life......and we're moving into an election year where those same people will stand up and cheer and praise the Lord for delivering Trump to them as their savior.  

Meanwhile, your post..........what was the point again?

And...yes....we do have some Trump supporters that mingle around every once in a while.  The current one is @Notre Dame Joe.

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

New challenge:

Go one day without obsessing about Donald Trump.

I'll let Edmond Burke respond:

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”Edmund Burke (in a letter addressed to Thomas Mercer).

That's the short version, attributed to Burke. A longer version reads as follows:

Whilst men are linked together, they easily and speedily communicate the alarm of any evil design. They are enabled to fathom it with common counsel, and to oppose it with united strength. Whereas, when they lie dispersed, without concert, order, or discipline, communication is uncertain, counsel difficult, and resistance impracticable. Where men are not acquainted with each other’s principles, nor experienced in each other’s talents, nor at all practised in their mutual habitudes and dispositions by joint efforts in business; no personal confidence, no friendship, no common interest, subsisting among them; it is evidently impossible that they can act a public part with uniformity, perseverance, or efficacy. In a connection, the most inconsiderable man, by adding to the weight of the whole, has his value, and his use; out of it, the greatest talents are wholly unserviceable to the public. No man, who is not inflamed by vain-glory into enthusiasm, can flatter himself that his single, unsupported, desultory, unsystematic endeavours, are of power to defeat the subtle designs and united cabals of ambitious citizens. When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.

–Edmund Burke, Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents 82-83 (1770) in: Select Works of Edmund Burke, vol. 1, p. 146 (Liberty Fund ed. 1999).

It's as true today as it was 200 years ago--except for now, in modern times, the sin of giving into political apathy would be extended to women too. Edmund Burke's writings, which laid the intellectual foundations for modern conservatism (a cautious kind of conservatism, to be precise), can be found in our collections of Free eBooks and Free Audio Books. You can also download his major work, Reflections on the Revolution in France, through Audible's Free Trial program.

http://www.openculture.com/2016/03/edmund-burkeon-in-action.html

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Most of us are priviledged enough Trump doesn't affect our every day lives and it could be easy to turn it off and tune the circus out. That doesn't mean that we should. 

This should not be the case.  If he is doing things that will damage our economy long term, it will affect everyone in the country.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This should not be the case.  If he is doing things that will damage our economy long term, it will affect everyone in the country. 

Yeah but you know as well as anyone here most voters don't think long-term like that.

It's all about immediate gratification anymore. As long as Trump hates the right people enthusiastically and tells them how great the economy everything is peachy.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Meanwhile, your post..........what was the point again?

It was a sarcastic hypothetical in reply to his post and was not meant to be a direct comparison. I already said I thought his post was odd, which doesn’t make it odd or mean you thought it was. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

New challenge:

Go one day without obsessing about Donald Trump.

He's pretty hard to avoid. I'm unplugging on the San Juan Islands next week. That will help.

But that brings up another fun challenge: if Donald Trump hates the media so much, how long could he go without them? 

i.e. how long could he go without saying something inflammatory for attention?

We have an obsessed President, so he kinda sets the tone. 

14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

He's pretty hard to avoid. I'm unplugging on the San Juan Islands next week. That will help.

But that brings up another fun challenge: if Donald Trump hates the media so much, how long could he go without them? 

i.e. how long could he go without saying something inflammatory for attention?

We have an obsessed President, so he kinda sets the tone. 

Trump is absolutely obsessed with the media.  He seems to subscribe to the theory that bad publicity is still publicity.  Many people seem to be glued to everything he says.  Or tweets.  So I guess it's working more in his favor than not.

I personally can't remember the last time I saw Trump on tv.  But admittedly I rarely watch the news.  I get sports and weather updates on my phone.

My only tv viewing last weekend was the FedEx St Jude.  No Trump.  Just Bill Belichick.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

While that is 100% true, people don't see the effects of that now. Don't get me wrong, his presidency affects every one of us, but not as much as say the people in ICE detention centers. I guess thats my point.