Defensive Play

Undone

17 minutes ago, Undone said:

Totally agree. And I want to clarify that a few posts up I said that:

1. Chinander's seat is not hot.

2. Chinander deserves due time to put in the system that he wants to put in.

But on the other side of that coin, I think there are some potential troubling clues that he may need to adjust a bit in the way he prepares & coaches his front seven to defend the power run in this conference. I don't think that comment is unfair or stupidly unsupportive of Frost & his efforts.

Do you feel you have seen flashes of a good defense though? I'm having a hard time. It looks just like last year...S. Bama is 122nd, NW is 128th and N. Illinois is 110th in scoring just an FYI there. The other 4 teams scored 34+ pts on us 

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

I concede that you make a good point here. Yes, 4 of those 6 are defensive players, in fact. 

We could then go down the route of "so was that just raw talent, Chinander's tutelage, or both?" But, let's not.   :duel

Agreed.  My apology.

It's both I think, but that would include the position coaches in addition to Chinander.

7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Do you feel you have seen flashes of a good defense though? I'm having a hard time. It looks just like last year...S. Bama is 122nd, NW is 128th and N. Illinois is 110th in scoring just an FYI there. The other 4 teams scored 34+ pts on us 

In last year's Ohio State game I thought we had found a good balance with both reading plays well and flying to the ball. Then against Iowa it felt like we had regressed.

Against South Alabama our secondary was smothering. Against Colorado we let the other team back in the game. Northern Illinois - great against the run. Northwestern - also good against the run.

So I'm waiting to see how we play on average in our five remaining conference games. But I saw linebackers that looked poorly coached on Saturday night and I'm not backing down from that assessment. If that kind of play continues, whose fault it is? To me, it's on the coaches.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
40 minutes ago, Undone said:

In last year's Ohio State game I thought we had found a good balance with both reading plays well and flying to the ball. Then against Iowa it felt like we had regressed.

Against South Alabama our secondary was smothering. Against Colorado we let the other team back in the game. Northern Illinois - great against the run. Northwestern - also good against the run.

So I'm waiting to see how we play on average in our five remaining conference games. But I saw linebackers that looked poorly coached on Saturday night and I'm not backing down from that assessment. If that kind of play continues, whose fault it is? To me, it's on the coaches.

I definitely agree I was baffled at how bad our linebackers were on Saturday. There were several plays that we strung out and I thought ok perfect get him down and they'll punt. Then all of a sudden a massive hole would open allowing a 15 yard gain and Barry would be tackling the guy from behind and all I could think is why the heck is our MLB tackling a guy from behind? Absolutely broken.

Obviously our LB haven't been disciplined this year and lots of posters have noted how we over pursue or just have bad assignments. The coaches don't get a free pass in that, but I also can't believe they are being coached that way. I think it has to be a mix of guys not picking up or not caring to pick up the coaching and also our coaches needing to change either calls or fits or something as well.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, SFW said:

Chinander gave up boat loads of points at the end of their 13-0 UCF season, with all the talent he had.

That’s his track record.... currently giving up points in boat loads.

Not a formula for success in the B10.

Thought it might be interesting to post their 2017 schedule & results:

image.png.dddfafed9c76c64544f4a5303d070a58.png

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, SFW said:

Chinander gave up boat loads of points at the end of their 13-0 UCF season, with all the talent he had.

That’s his track record.... currently giving up points in boat loads.

Not a formula for success in the B10.

I agree.  I’ve never really bought into the fast paced high scoring offense stresses your own defense because they get tired, etc.  I don’t think it has to be that way. these players should be in outstanding physical condition plus with rotating in a good two-deep and all the media timeouts there should be plenty of time to get a breather. 

• Plus1 2

Rewatching the MN game and our D alignment is terrible. So many adjustments were made by MN since we were playing way off in coverage giving them many plays where counting the QB it was 8 hats on 6-7. Our LB play was also some of the worst I have seen at Nebraska. So much over pursuit with no gap control. 

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Rewatching the MN game and our D alignment is terrible. So many adjustments were made by MN since we were playing way off in coverage giving them many plays where counting the QB it was 8 hats on 6-7. Our LB play was also some of the worst I have seen at Nebraska. So much over pursuit with no gap control. 

They spread us out wide, stretched the play out wide, and then picked between gashing us outside the tackles or cutting it back inside.

If we're going to coach Tannor to attack the edge on plays where JoJo is out wide covering a slot guy...then who do we have staying home? Mo Barry. One guy. 

They schemed their way into not only picking on our weakest of the three defensive units (linebackers) but also knowing how we line up to defend the pass and then calling runs. 

• Plus1 1

The more I analyze this game, I think Chinander got outwitted and then failed to adjust.

Frost said, "We knew they were going to do that." Meaning, run the ball. Well...if that's your run fit game, you need to go back to the drawing board.

I think we got caught calling in pass defense calls on their looks and then they ran the ball. Over and over and over.

3 hours ago, Undone said:

They spread us out wide, stretched the play out wide, and then picked between gashing us outside the tackles or cutting it back inside.

If we're going to coach Tannor to attack the edge on plays where JoJo is out wide covering a slot guy...then who do we have staying home? Mo Barry. One guy. 

They schemed their way into not only picking on our weakest of the three defensive units (linebackers) but also knowing how we line up to defend the pass and then calling runs. 

Sadly, Fleck even mentioned this.  To paraphrase if we can stretch them out, we can cut back inside runs and beat them....He saw it.  We couldn't......I think depth is hurting NU.  "Depth" on the coaching staff is also hurting.  The B1G and caliber of coaches/teams/athletes is different than the AAC.  

There's a lot of talk about scheme and talent, but the thing that bugs me most has been technique, consistency, and intensity.

i.e. guys with talent who suddenly forget how to play on certain plays. Or in certain quarters. Or entire games. A tendency they've had for several years now to give up far too much cushion before the ball is even snapped --- something even the announcers notice and question. 

Young and inexperienced and Riley-tainted to a point. But those were two fifth year Pelini seniors and Frost's prize senior transfer anchoring a defensive line that got shredded by a non-elite Minnesota team.