Offensive Play

7 minutes ago, Undone said:

I wish that I could post specific clips from our drive starting at about 11:00 to go in the 3rd quarter, but the best I can do is this, which just starts it at that time. Love this guy that's putting the radio cut on top of the TV tape, amazing stuff:

This drive is play calling and execution perfection. It doesn't get much better than this. We attack the edges on pass plays, throw down field, and then when they're softened up from all the throwing Mazour comes in and makes two great runs to keep moving downfield.

That was a great drive.  So many good things to watch.  The TD play was really nice, as Wandale was hidden as a Wingback and came across the formation to catch the shovel pass.  That is very tough to defend.

I also thought Mazour looked good on inside/outside zone runs on that drive.  His inside zone run for a first down near midfield was nice because he was so patient and waited for the hole to open up and slip through there for a gain of 6.  That's the patience which is needed on those inside zone plays.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I also thought Mazour looked good on inside/outside zone runs on that drive.  His inside zone run for a first down near midfield was nice because he was so patient and waited for the hole to open up and slip through there for a gain of 6.  That's the patience which is needed on those inside zone plays.

Yeah, man. And I know this comes off as Arm Chair Offensive Coordinator Guy...but that sidestep that he has is what Mills kind of lacks. And I mean this with the best of intentions, but if Wyatt is potentially better at hanging onto the ball (which may not at all be the case), I'd kind of like to see him play a bit more. 

It's that first move that's the difference between a 5 yard gain on 1st down and a 2-3 yard gain. And we're getting setup with waaaaaay too many third & longs/third & mediums. Need way more 3rd & 2/3rd &1.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah, man. And I know this comes off as Arm Chair Offensive Coordinator Guy...but that sidestep that he has is what Mills kind of lacks. And I mean this with the best of intentions, but if Wyatt is potentially better at hanging onto the ball (which may not at all be the case), I'd kind of like to see him play a bit more. 

It's that first move that's the difference between a 5 yard gain on 1st down and a 2-3 yard gain. And we're getting setup with waaaaaay too many third & longs/third & mediums. Need way more 3rd & 2/3rd &1.

I am with you.  Mazour looked good enough to get more snaps in the right situations.  If there are opponents which NU wants to spread out and go "small" against, Mazour would be a good back in that situation.

Mills' strength is getting the ball and being able to go to a specific point and run hard.  That power toss play to him was perfect for him.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

How many fumbles does Mills actually have??  I thought i read 2.  Pretty sure MO has one or two and so does AM.  Should coaches sit them as well?  If i remember correctly Ameer Abdullah had problems holding onto the ball most of his career minus his senior year.  Why do some get a pass and others don't?

I try hard to not rag on players specifically on here anymore. So I hesitated to answer, but I do have an answer for you so here goes: It's more excusable if your actual production makes you a valuable asset. But if the ratio of fumbles to yards gained is bad, isn't it a no-brainer to play a different guy to at least see if it's better, isn't it?

Note that I am not saying that this is the case with Mills. Not saying that. I'm just answering your question.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Undone said:

I try hard to not rag on players specifically on here anymore. So I hesitated to answer, but I do have an answer for you so here goes: It's more excusable if your actual production makes you a valuable asset. But if the ratio of fumbles to yards gained is bad, isn't it a no-brainer to play a different guy to at least see if it's better, isn't it?

Note that I am not saying that this is the case with Mills. Not saying that. I'm just answering your question.

I get what you are saying.  I just feel peole were quick bash mills saying he has no vision.  In the 1st game he actually had some nice side steps to avoid the first would be tackler but because no one was blocking he got hit by a 2nd and 3rd guy.  He has improved in each game.  People act like Mo has awesome vision and i dont think thats the case sometimes.  He has made some nice runs by going in the opposite direction the play is supposed to go and just using his speed.  He also runs on the wrong side of blocks sometimes.  They both have room for improvement and its not like Mills isnt producing.  He is 2nd amoung rb for TDs in the big ten.  I think he will continue to get better.  Now.  If he cant make it through a game without fumbling 3 times and he isnt scoring or rushing well by all means sit him

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

He is 2nd amoung rb for TDs in the big ten.  I think he will continue to get better.

Agreed. And after 12 games have been played, maybe the fumbles in the first four are just chalked up as bad luck and the fumbleitis doesn't plague him at all down the stretch.

Like I alluded to originally, I hate coming off as Armchair Offensive Coordinator Guy. Frost & Walters know 100x more about football than I do and I'm assuming that Mills beats Mazour in practice, regularly. 

But on the other hand...there's no way we win against Ohio State if we're negative in the turnover margin. So it's a tough call and all we have to go on is his body of work to-date.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am with you.  Mazour looked good enough to get more snaps in the right situations.  If there are opponents which NU wants to spread out and go "small" against, Mazour would be a good back in that situation.

Mills' strength is getting the ball and being able to go to a specific point and run hard.  That power toss play to him was perfect for him.

I would have no problem with Mazour getting more touches in a game.  What did he have 4 in last weeks game.  He could have 8 a game and I don't think the team would miss a beat.  

Mills fumbles have come at inopportune times, but they are all him fighting for extra yardage.  The fumbles that AM is having are the concerning ones. He has to take better care of the ball, though the one he had on Saturday night was a little iffy.  I am with Frost when he says you don't see a fumble go 20 yards forward too often.