Offensive Play

1 minute ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Do you have accounts on a lot of other boards and just wait to pounce if anyone mentions Clemson?

I’m sure I’m not the first to ask. 

No. Huskerboard is the only forum I visit, including Clemson forums. I’ve stuck around because I like the people here. I do occasionally do a search for “Clemson” and comment when I feel necessary. 

Yes, you are the first to ask.

No worries though. I’ll be sure not to come around anymore. Goodbye Huskers.

2 hours ago, olddominionhusker said:

Yeah. I hear a lot on the various threads about how bad Illinois is and how embarrassing it is for us to only scrape by. Now, I’m not saying Illinois is great or anything, but they are much improved over last year so I expected a tougher game then last year. That defensive line is legit and their defense as a whole hit like MF. 

I watched Lovie’s presser and he said this is the first year he actually felt that they could compete with teams which I thought was refreshingly candid. 

TLDR. I think the Illinois defense is much better then our fans believe. OL made some strides last night. 

IMHO, we haven't played a team this year that tackled as sound or hit as hard as they did last night.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You can't dispute the data, but I can't lie that Martinez didn't seem "himself" until after that 2 pt conversion last night....

Not bad statistics.  If we could just get out of our own way ie TO's and penalties, this O will give teams fits.  Especially when they all get healthy and reps.

I loved (and was shocked) with Wan'dale used so extensively in the interior running game. Unsure of necessity or design, but it was great to see us pound the rock.  I'll admit I wasn't sure how he would do between the tackles.  He changed my mind last night.  Phenomenal game from him.

Hope Mo and Mills heal up quick.  A lot for DC's to think about.

8 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

No. Huskerboard is the only forum I visit, including Clemson forums. I’ve stuck around because I like the people here. I do occasionally do a search for “Clemson” and comment when I feel necessary. 

Screen_Shot_2016-04-20_at_4.22.55_PM.0.0

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

Haha.  I talk about Clemson.  My 2nd fave team.  IMO, Frost is a lot like Dabo.  Solid character, family environment, relational and relatable.  Good recruiting and does well keeping the staff together (save Morris and letting Steele go).  

Feel free to stick around.  Don't be dramatic......Other fans opinions are welcomed.  Noce to have an outside perspective.

1 minute ago, lo country said:

You can't dispute the data, but I can't lie that Martinez didn't seem "himself" until after that 2 pt conversion last night....

Not bad statistics.  If we could just get out of our own way ie TO's and penalties, this O will give teams fits.  Especially when they all get healthy and reps.

I loved (and was shocked) with Wan'dale used so extensively in the interior running game. Unsure of necessity or design, but it was great to see us pound the rock.  I'll admit I wasn't sure how he would do between the tackles.  He changed my mind last night.  Phenomenal game from him.

Severe and Benning have been saying for weeks that Wandale should be used as an inside zone running back. He may not move the pile, but he just needs a crease to slip through on inside zone plays.  Plus, he has plenty of wiggle to slip out of tackles.

The popular opinion is that teams need big, bruising backs to run in between the tackles. Rex Burkhead was one of the best runners between the tackles I have ever seen at NU. He wasn’t a huge dude, but he could find the creases and get the necessary yards. A lot of times, it’s better to have RB’s who can “get small” and get thru that first level. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Severe and Benning have been saying for weeks that Wandale should be used as an inside zone running back. He may not move the pile, but he just needs a crease to slip through on inside zone plays.  Plus, he has plenty of wiggle to slip out of tackles.

The popular opinion is that teams need big, bruising backs to run in between the tackles. Rex Burkhead was one of the best runners between the tackles I have ever seen at NU. He wasn’t a huge dude, but he could find the creases and get the necessary yards. A lot of times, it’s better to have RB’s who can “get small” and get thru that first level. 

The way we seem "screen" block works great for him.  He has some incredible vision. Sees hole, hits hole and is gone.  Wan'dale does seem to "get small" and slips to avoid the direct hit.  And at 5'10, 190lbs that's not exactly a little guy....

I do not recall a RB like Rex that never seemed to get a TFL.  Always found a way to fall forward to get positive yards.  

I think Mills can be utilized in the right situations.  That simple toss play where he scored from 14 yards out was a great play. As soon as he got the pitch, I said “touchdown”. If he gets out in space and moving north/south, that makes him effective. He had another good run on an off-tackle play, which was called back for holding. Running outside zone is not how to use him, and not sure why Frost called those plays when Mills subbed in for Mo in the first quarter. 

1 minute ago, lo country said:

The way we seem "screen" block works great for him.  He has some incredible vision. Sees hole, hits hole and is gone.  Wan'dale does seem to "get small" and slips to avoid the direct hit.  And at 5'10, 190lbs that's not exactly a little guy....

I do not recall a RB like Rex that never seemed to get a TFL.  Always found a way to fall forward to get positive yards.  

Agree that Wandale has a bigger build than he looks, and has strong legs. I just think that people get lazy opinions (not saying you are) and think that we need a 220+ bruiser to run in between the tackles.  With inside zone runs, the need is to have a guy with good vision (like you point out) and who can get to top speed quickly to get thru that first level. Wandale could be used that way to get more touches.  

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Granted it’s not college but he could be used a lot like a player like Phillip Lindsay

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, lo country said:

On that note,  I was looking at the spread and found this on Vegas Insider:

918610965_Screenshot_20190922-153422_ChromeBeta.thumb.jpg.9c59b97d393a1ee0065d8a7bcb475ab3.jpg