Talented, Strong, Fast, Clean, Well-Coached

42 minutes ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

You all need to quit knocking the O-line.  Nebraska recruited them so unless You want to admit that the Huskers recruit crap players with no talent put the blame where it belongs...coaching and development.

Yes, I think that Nebraska recruited some average players and are struggling with developing them.

If this O-line was at Iowa or Wisconsin do you think they would be out looking clueless?  No...because these schools have coaching staffs that concentrate on technique and development.  Nebraska...through coaching turnover or ineptitude or whatever...hasn't been doing this for years.  Bo hired Barney for gods sake.  That should tell you how much importance has been put on the O-line over the past years.

I hear what you are saying, but I think we need to see how next years line looks.  No rational person is going to argue about how s#!tty our o-line coaching has been over the last 10+ years.

The lunacy continues...and Farinok is a great example.  Younger brother of an All Big 12 and NFL center, he played center in high school, was recruited as a center, gets to Nebraska and some genius decides he's a tackle?  The hell???  

It sucks that he is at tackle, don't you think the coaches would move him if they could?  He is painful to watch.  :(

Don't think it will get better any time soon.  Most decent linemen in the immediate recruiting area are getting snapped up by Iowa, Wisconsin, Oklahoma...even Iowa State is picking off a stray lineman or two.  

Totally disagree with this statement.  Nebraska had a nice batch of linemen in last years recruiting class and this year isn't looking to bad so far.  I am pretty sure 2019 did and 2020 lineman's class will outrank iowa state, iowa's and wisconsin's.  Probably not Oklahoma, nobody on your list is remotely close to Oklahoma's recruiting.  

What's the answer?  Who knows...hire Barney back maybe.  Poach a line coach from somewhere like K-state where line play is always decent.  Ultimately though, everyone needs to quit hating on the linemen, replacing them with younger guys who are just as ineptly coached as they are is just going to give you a new crop of linemen to hate on next year.

Not sure what you are getting at here.  Are you stating that we shouldn't complain about our oline, but our coaches are inept to getting them better?  I think everyone has a right to state our oline is very average at this time.  I do think next year, some of these guys may get beat out by some of our redshirts from 2019.  We do have one 2020 tackle that may have a chance to crack the starting lineup.  Of course with all that being said, maybe I am totally wrong about all of it.  :)

10 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

You all need to quit knocking the O-line.  Nebraska recruited them so unless You want to admit that the Huskers recruit crap players with no talent put the blame where it belongs...coaching and development.

If this O-line was at Iowa or Wisconsin do you think they would be out looking clueless?  No...because these schools have coaching staffs that concentrate on technique and development.  Nebraska...through coaching turnover or ineptitude or whatever...hasn't been doing this for years.  Bo hired Barney for gods sake.  That should tell you how much importance has been put on the O-line over the past years.

The lunacy continues...and Farinok is a great example.  Younger brother of an All Big 12 and NFL center, he played center in high school, was recruited as a center, gets to Nebraska and some genius decides he's a tackle?  The hell???  

Don't think it will get better any time soon.  Most decent linemen in the immediate recruiting area are getting snapped up by Iowa, Wisconsin, Oklahoma...even Iowa State is picking off a stray lineman or two.  

What's the answer?  Who knows...hire Barney back maybe.  Poach a line coach from somewhere like K-state where line play is always decent.  Ultimately though, everyone needs to quit hating on the linemen, replacing them with younger guys who are just as ineptly coached as they are is just going to give you a new crop of linemen to hate on next year.

Nebraska recruited them your right. But not Frost. So he is to blame for s#!tty recruiting by Riley?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

Nebraska most certainly has, at times, recruited "crap players."  As far as the O-line we have now goes, I am not expert so I cannot label any of them with that particular label.  Nick Saban used to say that there's a good football player somewhere in every recruit.   Implying that it's up to the coaches to see where, how, and when to play them to bring out that good football player.

I'm convinced that Frost is most certainly dealing with some players who have had bad habits for a long time, some of them.  Riley seems to have had a lacadazical attitude toward the whole program.  Perhaps it is not too far off to blame him for what we're seeing now. 

• Plus1 1
47 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Nebraska most certainly has, at times, recruited "crap players."  As far as the O-line we have now goes, I am not expert so I cannot label any of them with that particular label.  Nick Saban used to say that there's a good football player somewhere in every recruit.   Implying that it's up to the coaches to see where, how, and when to play them to bring out that good football player.

I'm convinced that Frost is most certainly dealing with some players who have had bad habits for a long time, some of them.  Riley seems to have had a lacadazical attitude toward the whole program.  Perhaps it is not too far off to blame him for what we're seeing now. 

Not saying he's wrong, but that's really easy to say when every one of your recruits is at least a 4 star. 

13 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

How many media types and coaches said Mike Riley was a good hire as well?  

Edit to add:  "If it's done...great hire by @Huskers getting Mike Riley from Oregon State!!"-- Kirk Herbstreit.  

I was as lukewarm as anyone on Riley but Herbie's comments aren't necessarily wrong.  He spent a lot of years punching above his weight as OSU, and Riley's name was attached to a lot of jobs over the years including USC and Bama.  How many other "great" hires over the years have been disasters and how many "terrible" hires have worked out really well?  Sweeney and Orgeron are pretty much the poster boys for that. 

If we're still seeing the same stuff after a full class under Frost, then I'll fully agree in the need to make some changes.  But there's been a lot of positives this year too, and a lot of what is going on really can't just be placed on the coaching staff.  

18 hours ago, The Dude said:

I still think everyone but me made a huge mistake by railroading Barney Cotton out of his job.  His 2009 group was rough, indeed.  But his o-lines the following 3 years were far better than anything we've had since.

But ... but .... but .... his son fell over one time!!!!!

• Plus1 2