Blowouts

Red Five

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Found this ugly stat in Dirk's column on the game

Since joining the Big Ten, the Huskers have now lost 10 games by 30 points or more. Ten! By comparison, it’s happened to Northwestern four times. Minnesota three times. Iowa has lost by 30 once.

Sounds like 1995, in reverse.

1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

Pretty amazing for sure.  Sadly, I think Wisky could hang 30+ or more on us as well.  Don't think anyone else will ... well, unless we want to do the 4-5 turnover thing.

It turns out that we want to do the 4-5 turnover thing quite often, so the sky’s the limit.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Ulty said:

It turns out that we want to do the 4-5 turnover thing quite often, so the sky’s the limit.

I've discussed this in past seasons/years ... but I don't know what Frost is doing to work this out.

My suggestion:  The team runs the stadium stairs for each turnover in the game.  The person who does the turnover ... they do the stadium stairs 7 times for each turnover.

I coached tennis for High School kids.  I never minded a player double-faulting on a serve ... but they did.  It cost them a lot.  It would be a mile run, or a 100 pushups ... and it got worse as the season went on.  It build a mental toughness over the season to pay a penalty and develop a mental toughness.  I had a kid have 18 double faults in one match.  Poor fella.  He went on to play tennis in college.  The match I watched him play in college had so many clutch second serves that not only got over but he developed an amazingly tough and consistent second serve that was an asset.  That kid was my son.

I wouldn't be upset at all if Frosty tore in a new one to both the team and the turnover machine makers.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I've discussed this in past seasons/years ... but I don't know what Frost is doing to work this out.

My suggestion:  The team runs the stadium stairs for each turnover in the game.  The person who does the turnover ... they do the stadium stairs 7 times for each turnover.

I coached tennis for High School kids.  I never minded a player double-faulting on a serve ... but they did.  It cost them a lot.  It would be a mile run, or a 100 pushups ... and it got worse as the season went on.  It build a mental toughness over the season to pay a penalty and develop a mental toughness.  I had a kid have 18 double faults in one match.  Poor fella.  He went on to play tennis in college.  The match I watched him play in college had so many clutch second serves that not only got over but he developed an amazingly tough and consistent second serve that was an asset.  That kid was my son.

I wouldn't be upset at all if Frosty tore in a new one to both the team and the turnover machine makers.

He better have ran a marathon or I smell some biased coaching. 

Just now, Waldo said:

He better have ran a marathon or I smell some biased coaching. 

Yep, he did 18 miles with me.  I was training for a marathon.  He got a new appreciation for many things ... including an ice bath.  Those 18 double faults cost him the match to go to state in singles tennis.  To see him triumph a few years later when the match would secure the team going to Nationals ... priceless.  

I would support AM as his coach ... and rip him a new one.

6 hours ago, BigRedN said:

But then they wouldn’t have no fear of failure 

To be honest, I am not sure that Frost’s approach to dealing with players when they make mistakes is Effective. The fact that we continue to commit stupid penalties and turnovers is evidence that players are not taking it seriously. For example, Khalil Davis got a totally unnecessary unsportsmanlike penalty yet Frost turns around and pats him on the helmet. Now, please do not think that I am in any way advocating for Frost to shout and belittle players on the field like Pelini used to do but we should not act as if it is ok to commit a stupid penalty like that. I see Dabo Sweeney and Nick Saban get into players’ faces when they make stupid mistakes. It does not mean they do not care about their players, it simply means that a little tough love goes a long way to show players that costing the team by committing stupid penalties will not be tolerated. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

But then they wouldn’t have no fear of failure 

This is quite weird to me.  So, if I understand you correct, there are no consequences to actions or results ... if so, then you would have a have fear of failure?

To me, having no "fear of failure" means one is pursuing greatness and there is no fear in failure because there are no longer any mistakes ... just learning and getting better.  We want you to be fully present in the now knowing you and every player are learning and growing.  This, any discipline or consequences are for the purpose of building you up to be your best, authentic self.

Maybe I'm just of a different generation or I'm missing your bigger point.

• Fire 1

It's the snowball.

One turnover turns into points. Another one turns into more points. Then the defense gets tired from being on the field too long, the offense starts to force things and either punts or turns it over again, and kablammo. Throw in a really poorly-timed penalty or two and a dropped third-down pass and the entire thing falls apart real fast.

These games are a product of giving a well-oiled opponent a head start with free momentum that because almost impossible to slow down until everyone looks around and goes "what happened?"

4 hours ago, BigRedN said:

This is quite weird to me.  So, if I understand you correct, there are no consequences to actions or results ... if so, then you would have a have fear of failure?

To me, having no "fear of failure" means one is pursuing greatness and there is no fear in failure because there are no longer any mistakes ... just learning and getting better.  We want you to be fully present in the now knowing you and every player are learning and growing.  This, any discipline or consequences are for the purpose of building you up to be your best, authentic self.

Maybe I'm just of a different generation or I'm missing your bigger point.

It was a joke.

But in my opinion I do wonder if that mantra leads some of these kids to play a little too loose and reckless and thats why we see the sloppy play? I am not at practice or on the sidelines so I have no idea. Just talking out loud.