*** Official Northwestern Game Thread ***

Mavric

7 minutes ago, lo country said:

Hope to see a solid  4 quarters of play from the Huskers today.   Limit TO's and bone headed penalties. Some receiver not named JD or Wan'dale actually make a catch. JoJo on the field the entire game as OLB.  Gotta get the W...

Man, it's all about turnovers. Let's see what can happen with a positive margin for once.

43 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Man, it's all about turnovers. Let's see what can happen with a positive margin for once.

Game Day comments today not so flattering.  And deservedly so.  Bear when talking about the game today, said "the offense is not the same one we saw last year".  Said the loser of this one will have issues making a bowl....This is a must win game IMO...Gotta start getting the better of teams that have been beating us.

3 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocYXGJw09lQ

Watch 8:12 to 10:30. Why stop doing that?

Posted this in another thread.  DiNardo talking to Sip about seeing the I formation and his excitement.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-dinardo-says-i-almost-fell-off-my/article_7c20c097-8739-5987-b81f-a64b9b455ea3.amp.html

"Part of what makes it interesting is that he has the balls to do it," said DiNardo, who was a head coach at Vanderbilt, LSU and Indiana. "I mean, here's this spread coach who goes against what most spread coaches would think to do.

"You know what they say: It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's," DiNardo added before asking perhaps the most intriguing question of all. "What happens if Scott finds out that the Jimmy's and Joe's that he can recruit fit that formation?"

Just now, FTW said:

Win the turnover battle or don't turn it over

Defense has to win 3rd downs

Field position is key, shorter field = better chance of winning

With all that said, I think Northwestern is really bad. We're just not as bad as they are. 38-13 Nebraska.

I just hate being described as "not as bad" that's just where we are now.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, lo country said:

Posted this in another thread.  DiNardo talking to Sip about seeing the I formation and his excitement.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-dinardo-says-i-almost-fell-off-my/article_7c20c097-8739-5987-b81f-a64b9b455ea3.amp.html

"Part of what makes it interesting is that he has the balls to do it," said DiNardo, who was a head coach at Vanderbilt, LSU and Indiana. "I mean, here's this spread coach who goes against what most spread coaches would think to do.

"You know what they say: It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's," DiNardo added before asking perhaps the most intriguing question of all. "What happens if Scott finds out that the Jimmy's and Joe's that he can recruit fit that formation?"

Seeing our oline trying to do the dancing bear blocking against the OSU allstars and Martinez running for his life after two seconds makes me think we have far better run blockers who allow our guys to get upfield instead of trying to make something out of the draw.

2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Seeing our oline trying to do the dancing bear blocking against the OSU allstars and Martinez running for his life after two seconds makes me think we have far better run blockers who allow our guys to get upfield instead of trying to make something out of the draw.

From the article.

But it would make sense, particularly from a personnel standpoint. It's not just a matter of using Mills and Martinez's talents effectively. Think about right tackle Matt Farniok, whose strength is run blocking. Think about the team's issues this season with bad snaps in the shotgun. Martinez going under center eliminates that issue.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, lo country said:

From the article.

But it would make sense, particularly from a personnel standpoint. It's not just a matter of using Mills and Martinez's talents effectively. Think about right tackle Matt Farniok, whose strength is run blocking. Think about the team's issues this season with bad snaps in the shotgun. Martinez going under center eliminates that issue.

The OSU game doesn't mean much in terms of where we're going this year, it's just one game, but it means a lot concerning what we need to be working on. Being content with a style that will beat middle of the pack teams will keep us a middle of the pack team. We can't abandon the passing game, but what we're doing now doesn't scare any OSU caliber teams.
I don't know that I agree with dumbing down the plan just to suit players who can't do the job. I think you're like me and just want to see a legit running game no matter how they explain the reason for it. I'm okay with spreading the field Oregon style with Mills as the lone back and the tackles next to the sidelines if that's what it takes.

• Plus1 1