Luke McCaffrey

suh_fan93

18 minutes ago, HANC said:

That is the ONLY reason people care. Change the last names, and ho-hum. Look at production If LM was going to stay at QB, it was waste. Great athlete, but as almost 100% of everyone not named LM agrees, he isn't a qb. Last name is only reason why it isnt a good look.

I never thought LM was going to be a QB...A Tysom Hill QB? Sure. That was my hope. Or a RB in a 2 back set.  Receiver, return man etc......I think it's a bad look when Frost calls him the future.  When he's our back up.  When he was, as mentioned in my post, the face of the program.  He, like Wan'dale, appeared to be bought in.  Be a player and competitor.  Kade was a captain.  Who lost his starting role and now leaving.  Again, not a good look.  To be a demoted captain ( why picked to begin with) and transferring.  Of course, the last name gets a look.  I'm assuming "most" coaches kids tend to do well.  And their future success might be at a lower level.  Or not at all.  I am assuming their dads have a pretty good idea of a programs direction and future success...

1 minute ago, HANC said:

I think Frost recruited LM with every intention of being able to teach him to play QB. That is the ego of SF. Once he realized that Luke was a bigger project than he could handle (only 1 yr at qb in hs), he began bragging on him publicly trying to convince him how much the staff thought of him, in an attempt to keep him here. He was playing the game at that point. 

This is one of my concerns moving forward.  recruiting guys who don't pan out ie Bell, Mo as the 1st two, guys who transfer without playing a down, LM as a QB (athlete by recruiting services) etc....We are doing a poor job of getting the "right" guys to NU.  We can get the stars, but can't seem to develop/recruit them.  Hoping we hit the portal and get some needed depth/experience.

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

I never thought LM was going to be a QB...A Tysom Hill QB? Sure. That was my hope. Or a RB in a 2 back set.  Receiver, return man etc......I think it's a bad look when Frost calls him the future.  When he's our back up.  When he was, as mentioned in my post, the face of the program.  He, like Wan'dale, appeared to be bought in.  Be a player and competitor.  Kade was a captain.  Who lost his starting role and now leaving.  Again, not a good look.  To be a demoted captain ( why picked to begin with) and transferring.  Of course, the last name gets a look.  I'm assuming "most" coaches kids tend to do well.  And their future success might be at a lower level.  Or not at all.  I am assuming their dads have a pretty good idea of a programs direction and future success...

I agree about Dad's vision, but I also understand that EVERY Dad feels their son is great and when you are famous, possibly a little entitled too. Again, take away last names and we aren't melting down at this point.

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

This is one of my concerns moving forward.  recruiting guys who don't pan out ie Bell, Mo as the 1st two, guys who transfer without playing a down, LM as a QB (athlete by recruiting services) etc....We are doing a poor job of getting the "right" guys to NU.  We can get the stars, but can't seem to develop/recruit them.  Hoping we hit the portal and get some needed depth/experience.

We need to evaluate  better, but Mo was a special case. He was and would've panned out. Bell is just weird scenario. LM isnt a QB...Wandale is really only true case of "why".

21 minutes ago, lo country said:

Nope, I'll leave it right here.....I am trusting their opinion over most, including mine.  Did I ever say they were going to succeed?  Lite it up?  Go P5?  Nope.  Take a breath and relax.......The ACTUAL point being, maybe based upon their incredibly successful career, both dad's maybe realize that our program is stuck in neutral/reverse.  not improving and they'd like their kids to go to a winning program....Maybe even FCS or G5......Maybe go where they will be a solid position and not used as a "swiss army".........And didn't Frost say LM was the future?  So Frost was wrong? Frost was lying?  frost was hoping?  And to Wan'dale leaving?  He's a failure as well?  Please. 

Do we need to repost games of Warner dropping passes or never getting separation since he was too slow? Or McCaffrey turning the ball over 1 every 17 touches for average? The guys were not good players. McCaffrey can run fast, but that is it. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, lo country said:

Kurt Warner tweeted something about Matt Campbell's culture at Iowa State.

Think Campbell will snag Warner out of the portal because Warner is a difference maker?

Ya, me neither 

Warner was voted a captain because he knew the playbook.  Half the damn receivers weren't here yet and didn't know him.

Then he dropped touchdown passes 

The captains chosen in 2021 will have a lot more influence.  Guaranteed.

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, uberism said:

Do we need to repost games of Warner dropping passes or never getting separation since he was too slow? Or McCaffrey turning the ball over 1 every 17 touches for average? The guys were not good players. McCaffrey can run fast, but that is it. 

Yikes. 

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, uberism said:

Again, I never said that they would succeed.  I never said that they didn't have issues.

But to your point, you have just described the entirety of the NU offense and ST's.....Dropped/missed passes.  Errant snaps.....whiffs.....penalties, TO's... (AM had 4 against Rutgers), poor decision making, poor field position etc.....It wasn't just LM and KW having issues......The whole offense struggled. At every position, across the board.

AM had 4 TD passes to 3 INT's...Luke was worse, but was almost even in yards per rushing attempt 5.7/5.6. Dude wasn't a QB.  He was a dual threat receiver/RB, hence listed as an athlete by most recruiting services....In 2019, in VERY LIMITED touches, LM outplayed AM significantly based on the small numbers...As did Noah....Not saying LM was ever going to be a QB, but as a runner/receiver....To deny he had talent is disingenuous.  He was more than just fast.

19 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Kurt Warner tweeted something about Matt Campbell's culture at Iowa State.

Think Campbell will snag Warner out of the portal because Warner is a difference maker?

Ya, me neither 

Warner was voted a captain because he knew the playbook.  Half the damn receivers weren't here yet and didn't know him.

Then he dropped touchdown passes 

The captains chosen in 2021 will have a lot more influence.  Guaranteed.

I do not think the "culture" comment was a comment about Matt taking Kade, but possibly a shot at Frost.  Kurt knows a thing or two about opportunities in the right system.....

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, HANC said:

I agree about Dad's vision, but I also understand that EVERY Dad feels their son is great and when you are famous, possibly a little entitled too. Again, take away last names and we aren't melting down at this point.

I agree.  The name and the "success" of the name has a lot of influence on this.  Although, I still think it points to "issues" within the program.

A lot seem to be in a state of excitement because of Luke leaving. It is too bad a great athlete is leaving. Some indicate that this is on SF and that the name McCaffrey on his back is huge.....bad optics, but I want to point out that of the 3 McCaffrey brothers, 2 have now transferred after they were recruited as a qb and couldn't perform. Pattern??? Let's look at the big picture rather than jumping with negativity.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Why then are so many seniors returning on defense?  Because of 'issues' within the program?

You think there are 2 separate teams with offense and defense and that they never come together for any team activities  so that the defensive culture isn't tainted by that toxic offensive culture?

Let me be specific.  My entire comments related to the recent transfers relates to the offensive side of the ball.....JD last year.  Wan'dale this year.  (Left for his mom and how he was used)  The D mainly wanted to go bowling.  The offense did not.  3 of the captains were on offense.  Two were benched and two not coming back....So yes. The offense has some issues.  No QB depth.  No RB depth.  No receiver depth.....THOSE ARE PROBLEMS IN YEAR 4....

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Why then are so many seniors returning on defense?  Because of 'issues' within the program?

You think there are 2 separate teams with offense and defense and that they never come together for any team activities  so that the defensive culture isn't tainted by that toxic offensive culture?

By the attrition we are seeing on offense with so many departures, it's clear to me that the root of this program's current challenges are on the offensive side of the ball.  The team can still like each other, but if the offensive players do not believe in the offensive philosophy, opportunities or staff, they are going to leave.  The data shows the offense has only gotten worse since Frost's first year.  Meanwhile, the defense has gotten marginally better and is way more competitive this year compared to the prior few years and its apparent to me that, with the strong passion the returning defensive starters have about their side of the ball, there is something going in the right direction.  

Frost is very stubborn though and has shown little desire to make more drastic staffing changes on offense or to admit his current approach is not working in the BIG.  Players want to play on a team where they can excel and their skills can be maximized.  From the departures today and in recent weeks, it seems many of our offensive players do not feel like that is happening.

• Haha 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to Luke McCaffrey