Adrian Martinez Medical Procedure

knapplc

On 12/16/2019 at 11:03 AM, WyoHusker56 said:

Ya Joe Brady was great for them and made a huge difference, but Frost is typically thought of in that same realm of playcaller/offensive mind/QB friendly offense.

AM doesn't have another thing going for him that Joe Borrow did at LSU.  Joe had great receivers to go along with a new passing game coordinator.  Even with improved play on his part, which I think he can do, he doesn't have the targets Joe had this year.  

• Plus1 2

Imagine a scenario where our offensive line play starts to get on the level of Penn State or Michigan. And imagine having a couple capable running backs that are both healthy, with another two behind them that are at least semi-capable if the two primaries get hurt.

So much of the pressure on QB play goes away. 

This is a 4-5 year fix. The infrastructure wasn't even really there this year to get it done offensively in yet people's expectations were to win the West. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
57 minutes ago, Undone said:

Imagine a scenario where our offensive line play starts to get on the level of Penn State or Michigan. And imagine having a couple capable running backs that are both healthy, with another two behind them that are at least semi-capable if the two primaries get hurt.

So much of the pressure on QB play goes away. 

This is a 4-5 year fix. The infrastructure wasn't even really there this year to get it done offensively in yet people's expectations were to win the West. 

I CAN ONLY IMAGINE ... :-)

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I used to think Adrian Martinez was a very different quarterback than Taylor Martinez, but lately I'm not so sure. 

People are talking about how awful of a year Adrian had, yet he was within less 3 percentage points of completion and the same yards per attempt as Taylor's best, all conference first team season. Far less touchdowns, but that's largely due to playcalling. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, NUinID said:

AM doesn't have another thing going for him that Joe Borrow did at LSU.  Joe had great receivers to go along with a new passing game coordinator.  Even with improved play on his part, which I think he can do, he doesn't have the targets Joe had this year.  

I said before, put Burrow at NU with this years team and he is average at best.  One shines much brighter in a system "built around you" with guys who are incredibly athletic..... We have some good pieces IMHO, but not enough to complete the puzzle.  

I like Clemson so I use Dabo and Co as a comparison.  Clemson was "good", but  didn't start wining because they were "better", but because  they finally developed great depth that absorbed a lot of injuries, kept guys fresh, increased competition etc....When we lost Wan'dale we had Mills (an no one else).  And I do not think Wan'dale was ever slated to be the featured back, but no depth and injuries....Receiver was thin like skim milk and depth at other positions not much better.  To keep with my mantra, not all on the players.  Staff has accountability as well to develop and scheme (much like LSU this year for Burrow around the guys you have, not those you want).

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BackInTheDay said:

I would say turnovers figure in there just as prominently, if not moreso.

2012 Taylor had 12 INT on 368 attempts, one per every 30.667 throws. 2019 Adrian had 9 INT on 251 throws, one per every 27.889 throws.

I don't know fumble/lost fumble stats but I bet Taylor had more than Adrian. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Landlord said:

2012 Taylor had 12 INT on 368 attempts, one per every 30.667 throws. 2019 Adrian had 9 INT on 251 throws, one per every 27.889 throws.

I don't know fumble/lost fumble stats but I bet Taylor had more than Adrian. 

This is a what has baffled me this year. AM obviously wasn't the same as he was last year I agree. However as you pointed out it wasn't that much worse than TMs best. Also, does anyone remember Tommy Armstrong was our QB for 4 years? AMs season last year was as good or better than most of TAs. Tommy just had more talented pieces around him. Some people are acting like Adrian had the worst year in memory but it wasn't even close. 

4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

This is a what has baffled me this year. AM obviously wasn't the same as he was last year I agree. However as you pointed out it wasn't that much worse than TMs best. Also, does anyone remember Tommy Armstrong was our QB for 4 years? AMs season last year was as good or better than most of TAs. Tommy just had more talented pieces around him. Some people are acting like Adrian had the worst year in memory but it wasn't even close. 

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1

I don't understand all the bagging on Adrian. Sophomore slump is a legit thing. Freshman year, he was playing on a smaller playback and running a lot on his instinct. He has a whole 'nother year in the system, has the whole playback thrown at him, is being asked to make more complicated reads, lost a fair amount of strong talent on the offensive line, lost a true #1 WR in Stanley Morgan, Lost an amazing back in Ozigbo, had numerous injuries to skill position players, had an offensive line still learning to gel, had a brand new center throwing back bad snaps and messing up his rhythm, AND was playing hurt for a lot of year.

You put just the talent lost due to graduation and injuries and the offensive line issues and he is going to have a down year. If you add in the extra mental effort and learning curve on top of all of that, yeah, he's going to have a s#!t year. It doesn't mean he's a terrible QB or can't be great. I think we will see a gelled, healthy offense next year, and also see a healthy Adrian that will finally put together all of the pieces of the playbook and reads. I firmly believe that our offense is going to have an outstanding year next year. We still have a ton of question marks on defense, losing Darrion Daniels, the Davis twins, and Lamar Jackson. If Adrian s#!ts the bed this year, I'll be first in line calling for Luke M to take over the reigns, but I don't see it happening. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

57 minutes ago, Redux said:

If he was seriously injured, there were two guys behind him more than capable of playing.  I don't buy that this was the big reason he had a bad year.

What happened to those two guys when they had to sub in for an injured Adrian?

Obviously the injury wouldn't explain it all away, but like people have been saying on this page an injury to AM, plus poor line play, plus poor depth, plus injuries to other key players, only having one true receiving threat, the old sophomore slump. All that kind of explains his performance this year, that wasn't really that bad...

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

What happened to those two guys when they had to sub in for an injured Adrian?

Obviously the injury wouldn't explain it all away, but like people have been saying on this page an injury to AM, plus poor line play, plus poor depth, plus injuries to other key players, only having one true receiving threat, the old sophomore slump. All that kind of explains his performance this year, that wasn't really that bad...

A bunch of worn out excuses we have been using for over a decade.  Whether they hold credence or not isn't really the point, somethings gotta give. I don't disagree, but I think he played out of his head most the season.  Slight injury maybe, but he was completely distracted this year.

And it was pretty bad considering we are missing a bowl yet again because we couldn't put away Indiana or Purdue.  Never a reason we shouldn't be able to outscore those teams without needing a hail mary to win it.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, Redux said:

A bunch of worn out excuses we have been using for over a decade.  Whether they hold credence or not isn't really the point, somethings gotta give. I don't disagree, but I think he played out of his head most the season.  Slight injury maybe, but he was completely distracted this year.

And it was pretty bad considering we are missing a bowl yet again because we couldn't put away Indiana or Purdue.  Never a reason we shouldn't be able to outscore those teams without needing a hail mary to win it.

I mean, we're all sick of it, seeing the same thing for 15 or 20 years, but this is a new batch of athletes, a new staff, new schemes. There's going to be growing pains, and deja vu because these aren't the same people. It seems silly to hold them accountable for the sins of past coaches.

Adrian played in one less game, had fewer passing attempts, and less weapons around him than his Freshman year, but we leaned on him more as a runner. The dude had more rushing attempts/yards than any other B1G QB. He did ok, but not good enough.

I don't disagree that we should be smoking Purdue regularly,  but Adrian didn't play against Indiana and came back from injury for the Purdue game.