Adrian Martinez Medical Procedure

knapplc

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

The Iowa game it seemed like Luke had one single play package. It was the same play both times. Kudos to him for making something out of it, and the staff for throwing in the wrinkle, but it's crazy how others on the board can't see that the reason it was successful was because it was a highly specialized almost trick play. 

I'm gonna go ahead and say it's complete bulls#!t to think Luke was only successful at QB because they did a trick play a couple times and it's the only thing he knows.

I'm wondering if Adrian will get this same leeway his Senior campaign when he is still throwing into double coverage and allowing himself to get gobbled up from hesitation.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Redux said:

I'm gonna go ahead and say it's complete bulls#!t to think Luke was only successful at QB because they did a trick play a couple times and it's the only thing he knows.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying his play has some heavy disclaimers and context on it and isn't a fair comparison to Adrian as the starting quarterback for 60-80 snaps of the full offense. Not that it's the only reason he was successful. 

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, Redux said:

This got discussed previously at some point: I don't think Luke played a single snap where he had to stand in the pocket and throw. He was used as a stop gap guy when he did see action and was practically a wildcat back. 

He had that roll out TD throw to Noa against Indiana. Against Iowa, the entire defense swarmed down towards him leaving Spielman wide open. So he made a couple really great TD throws on a couple plays but I don't feel convinced he could have taken over the starting job and ran the entire playbook successfully.

Maybe that's not the point you were making...but many others in this thread have.

• Plus1 6
17 minutes ago, Undone said:

I don't feel convinced he could have taken over the starting job and ran the entire playbook successfully.

Neither can Adrian, behind the same line, with the same receivers.

My point, in general, is that regardless of how vanilla the offense was when Luke was in it was moving the chains and the team as a whole seemed to be more fluent.  There has to be a reason for that.  And if the teamnis moving downfield and scoring points instead of treading water with Adrian and punting and barely hanging onto close games.....why aren't we trying to win games instead of this cementing Adrian as the starter ao that as a Senior we can crush teams?

To me, this fanbase and recruiting class needed to see a real jump in the win column regardless of how we got there.  Frost said win at all costs etc.  We didn't do that this year IMO.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Landlord said:

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying his play has some heavy disclaimers and context on it and isn't a fair comparison to Adrian as the starting quarterback for 60-80 snaps of the full offense. Not that it's the only reason he was successful. 

That is ridiculous.  Luke took a routine read and it broke.  End of story.  It was not a trick play, it was a read that should have been happening with that other guy in there.  But the other guy was not doing it and poof!  Six points.  The only trick was that Luke McCaffrey isn't riding excuses.  He showed up.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, madrat said:

That is ridiculous.  Luke took a routine read and it broke.  End of story.  It was not a trick play, it was a read that should have been happening with that other guy in there.  But the other guy was not doing it and poof!  Six points.  The only trick was that Luke McCaffrey isn't riding excuses.  He showed up.

Adrian Martinez made reads that resulted in touchdowns.

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, madrat said:

That is ridiculous.  Luke took a routine read and it broke.  End of story.  It was not a trick play, it was a read that should have been happening with that other guy in there.

It was halfway between both. Luke very much sells that he is running, and the defenders crashing/freezing with their eyes on Luke is what resulted in Spielman being wide open, specifically the way the play was designed. 

The defense would not have behaved the same way with Martinez running that play, and not because Martinez is worse; because our coaches designed a schematic/mental advantage play for Luke specifically.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, madrat said:

So if Luke uses sleight of hand like a good QB should, it becomes a trick play.  I'd never of guessed that.

I get that you're being snotty for effect, but the definition of sleight of hand literally says, "manual dexterity, typically in performing tricks."

;)

• Haha 2

Sun Tsu has a thing or two about strategy.  Maybe Adrian should read up on it about.  Sleight of hand is modus operandi for a QB.  It is pretty much a standard practice in competition to deceive and confuse the opponent.  Luke and the Noahs all figured it out.  Tristan before that had figured it out.  But our only go to at QB has not.

That and the turnover thing.  We won't win championships with a Mr. Turnover running the show.

• Haha 3