Adrian Martinez Medical Procedure

knapplc

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Burrow took one of the greatest leaps in CFB histroy. I don't think AM is capable of that but to think that AM isn't worthy of starting is funny. AM had equal or better stats as a true freshman than Burrow did as a 4th year JR

Burrow's rsJR stats:

2,894 passing yards 16 TD 5 INT (57.8%) 

399 rushing yards 7 TD (3.1 ypc)

Martinez FR stats

2,617 passing yards 17 TD 8 INT (64.6%) 

629 rushing yards 8 TD (4.5 ypc)

Just curious why you think AM can't make that jump? Prior to this year I don't think anyone had Burrow making that jump and arguably Martinez has already shown potential to be better.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Just curious why you think AM can't make that jump? Prior to this year I don't think anyone had Burrow making that jump and arguably Martinez has already shown potential to be better.

Quite that jump is what I meant to say. End of the day Burrow put up some ridiculous numbers this year including the all-time passing % record. We will know where AM is after a few games next season. If we don't see something by game 3 then I think the pressure of playing Luke becomes bigger and bigger. Frost has no choice but to be successful early next season. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Quite that jump is what I meant to say. End of the day Burrow put up some ridiculous numbers this year including the all-time passing % record. We will know where AM is after a few games next season. If we don't see something by game 3 then I think the pressure of playing Luke becomes bigger and bigger. Frost has no choice but to be successful early next season. 

Yeah, gotta agree with you on this.  

2AM could make a big enough jump to be one hell of a good QB for us and still not get to the level Burrow reached.

• Fire 1
16 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Ah gotcha that makes sense. His season was definitely special and without trying to dismiss anything Burrow did a lot of stars have to align for a season like that. I do think an off season with less hype and more competition will push AM back to the player we saw before. The good thing is he'll either rise to the challenge or be over taken by the depth Frost has built. 

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Two words...Joe Brady.  He made all the difference IMHO.  I think he was responsible for the huge turnaround.  Brought a lot of the New Orleans Saints passing game to LSU...

5 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Martinez started the season against S. Alabama not playing his best.  I mean he was hesitant all year long.  My biggest issue with him this year has been with his decision making.  It took a noticeable dip beginning with the very first game of the season.  

I don't disagree with you, because Martinez struggled in this area and needs to improve going forward.  I don't know if it was not developing relationships with the new receivers, the o-line slow to develop, and bad snaps early in the season, there were multiple factors which factors going into Martinez's struggles this year.

47 minutes ago, lo country said:

Two words...Joe Brady.  He made all the difference IMHO.  I think he was responsible for the huge turnaround.  Brought a lot of the New Orleans Saints passing game to LSU...

Ya Joe Brady was great for them and made a huge difference, but Frost is typically thought of in that same realm of playcaller/offensive mind/QB friendly offense.

3 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Burrow took one of the greatest leaps in CFB histroy. I don't think AM is capable of that but to think that AM isn't worthy of starting is funny. AM had equal or better stats as a true freshman than Burrow did as a 4th year JR

Burrow's rsJR stats:

2,894 passing yards 16 TD 5 INT (57.8%) 

399 rushing yards 7 TD (3.1 ypc)

Martinez FR stats

2,617 passing yards 17 TD 8 INT (64.6%) 

629 rushing yards 8 TD (4.5 ypc)

I agree completely that people are too quick to jump down AM's throat already calling for someone else to be our QB of the future.

I do think a jump similar to Burrow's is certainly possible. Maybe not historic NCAA numbers but top 10 in the country numbers. Burrow stayed healthy and had 3 insanely good WR's along with an NFL caliber RB. With added talent on the outside, depth at RB and a healthy AM I truly think the sky is the limit for him next year. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, suh_fan93 said:

Martinez started the season against S. Alabama not playing his best.  I mean he was hesitant all year long.  My biggest issue with him this year has been with his decision making.  It took a noticeable dip beginning with the very first game of the season.  

59 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't disagree with you, because Martinez struggled in this area and needs to improve going forward.  I don't know if it was not developing relationships with the new receivers, the o-line slow to develop, and bad snaps early in the season, there were multiple factors which factors going into Martinez's struggles this year.

It's tough for me to determine where I land on his struggles. In one hand, they make a ton of sense: inconsistent snaps most of the year, a slow developing o-line and wide receivers that couldn't get open or get separation consistently. Play calling also felt more suspect this year. That's a bad situation for a QB that's still pretty young.

In the other hand, and to your point @suh_fan93, he started off the year with just some really rough decision making and his accuracy somehow seemed to have gotten worse right out of the gate compared to what it was last year.

So I don't know if I can say who is to blame more than anyone else, but overall, we can all agree it was a shoddy product.

• Fire 1

AM needs protection.  That line gave me Tourette's Syndrome this season.  It was porous at best, he AM got beat up.  Throw in less than talented receivers and it's not hard to see why AM struggled this season.  Hopefully an upgrade in the receiving corps and linemen who do their jobs will bring back the 2AM we loved last season with some maturity as well.  2AM can play, but he needs to be put into a position to succeed.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

AM needs protection.  That line gave me Tourette's Syndrome this season.  It was porous at best, he AM got beat up.  Throw in less than talented receivers and it's not hard to see why AM struggled this season.  Hopefully an upgrade in the receiving corps and linemen who do their jobs will bring back the 2AM we loved last season with some maturity as well.  2AM can play, but he needs to be put into a position to succeed.

Well said.  And knowing that about the O-line tempers my negative take on T.M. a bit.  Good QBs evolve in a mix of good and bad protection and good and bad receiving corps.  We've had more bad than good in the protection department, so his escape and connect or escape and run skills just haven't been able to develop. 

But I'm still just disappointed in some of his decisions out there.  We get that way about any QB, but he's been on the ground too many times as a result of his own choices during a play.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Well said.  And knowing that about the O-line tempers my negative take on T.M. a bit.  Good QBs evolve in a mix of good and bad protection and good and bad receiving corps.  We've had more bad than good in the protection department, so his escape and connect or escape and run skills just haven't been able to develop. 

But I'm still just disappointed in some of his decisions out there.  We get that way about any QB, but he's been on the ground too many times as a result of his own choices during a play.

are you talking about taylor or adrian here?

• Haha 1