Gotta stand up and clap for good football

I am I

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Causation =/= correlation at all in this little scenario. If Nebraska is good enough to go undefeated in the Big Ten, they're good enough to go toe to toe with anyone in the country; whether the conference does well in their bowl games has absolutely nothing to do with that scenario, though. 

Not if the Big 10 is trash and every team is a cupcake. Are you really arguing it takes the same degree of difficulty to go undefeated against a terrible schedule vs a great schedule? That's ridiculous. Alot of teams can go undefeated against terrible schedules. You have to be really good to go undefeated against a hard schedule.

If all undefeated seasons are the same the UCF was the national champion in 2017

• Plus1 1
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Not if the Big 10 is trash and every team is a cupcake. Are you really arguing it takes the same degree of difficulty to go undefeated against a terrible schedule vs a great schedule? That's ridiculous. Alot of teams can go undefeated against terrible schedules. You have to be really good to go undefeated against a hard schedule.

Is the Big 10 ever going to actually be that, or are you going to listen to what ESPN is going to spoon feed you based on bowl games? Because Nebraska doesn't look any better today since Iowa trashed an awful USC team today, and they aren't going to look any better if Penn St. beats Memphis, or if Ohio State beats Clemson. 

We should just go independent and play FCS schools so we can go undefeated. All that matters is the record, not who that record is against amirite?

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

Is the Big 10 ever going to actually be that, or are you going to listen to what ESPN is going to spoon feed you based on bowl games? Because Nebraska doesn't look any better today since Iowa trashed an awful USC team today, and they aren't going to look any better if Penn St. beats Memphis, or if Ohio State beats Clemson. 

Playing in the best conference benefits Nebraska regardless of how we do.

I don't watch ESPN or visit their website. I prefer fox sports website. It has nothing to do with the media. A better schedule is better in my opinion.

• Plus1 3

Yes, a good/tough conference is something that reflects well on all teams in that sphere.

Even more tangible than above is that great QB play matters.   The game was still competitive when Slovis was in (man, what a talent!).    But the whole team lost their competitive spirit when he was out.    Further, . . . . Stanley had one of, if not the best game of his entire career.   

41 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

5-7 in the Big isn't the same as 5-7 in the PAC. Nothing you will say will convince me otherwise. If you play better opponents then you are better than someone with the same record against a worse schedule plain and simple.

The top of the PAC 12 may not be as good as the top of the Big 10, but if you look at the Pac top to bottom, it's hard to imagine Nebraska would have fared better than 5-7 in the Pac.

The only Pac team we faced was conference bottom-dweller Colorado, and we lost. 

3 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

UCF went  undefeated in a weaker conference and didn't get a title shot

Apples to Oranges comparison. With NU in the Big Ten will always get a shot as long as NU is undefeated (see Clemson this year).

My main point is that it seems like NU fans have started to “root for the conference” more when NU has given the fans less to root for when it comes to NU’s performance. The rooting for the conference is a mantra for losers, as a way to prop up their losing program. I only want to worry about how my team is performing.  Ohio State fans aren’t going around using their opponents to prop up their own performance. I want NU and our fans to get back to that feeling. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

And then the playoff committee looks at us as having a weak schedule and leaves us out. 

The Big Ten made their conference tougher for its teams by forcing them play 9 conference games. That has only hurt the Big Ten teams in the eyes of the committee.  The weak schedule didn’t hurt Clemson as they went undefeated. 

37 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The Big Ten made their conference tougher for its teams by forcing them play 9 conference games. That has only hurt the Big Ten teams in the eyes of the committee.  The weak schedule didn’t hurt Clemson as they went undefeated. 

And the SEC gets the benefit of the doubt every year because of the perception that it’s such a tough conference. They are higher ranked to start and everyone speculates all year if they are going to get two in the playoffs because it’s so tough. The PAC 12 is viewed as a weak conference and they struggle to be taken serious at the end of the season and get in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

And the SEC gets the benefit of the doubt every year because of the perception that it’s such a tough conference. They are higher ranked to start and everyone speculates all year if they are going to get two in the playoffs because it’s so tough. The PAC 12 is viewed as a weak conference and they struggle to be taken serious at the end of the season and get in the playoffs. 

And if I heard correctly, the "weak" ACC has the most teams going bowling this year with 10.....

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

And if I heard correctly, the "weak" ACC has the most teams going bowling this year with 10.....

Because they only have to play 8 conference games (like the SEC) so they can get an “extra win” in the non-conference.  Number of eligible bowl teams is more of a result of the non-conference schedule instead of in-conference schedule. 

• Plus1 1