** 2020 Opponent Previews : Ohio State (Game 1) **

Saunders

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I'll be honest Our D vs OSUs Offense scares the s#!t out of me. We haven't been particularly stout on defense since Frost arrived and this OSU offense has the chance to be a legit all time great offense. They have 3 offensive lineman on the 2021 top 100 draft prospect list, the other two starters happen to be 5 stars that aren't draft eligible. They have the #3 RB on the 2021 top 100 draft prospect list (his back up ran for 800 yds and 4 Td last year. They have a receiver that's top 50 on the 2021 NFL prospect list. And oh yeah, and they have a Heisman favorite and potential top 5 draft pick at QB. 

This isn't a shot at Nebraska, just saying this OSU team could hang 40+ on any team in the country. Let alone if we get them on a night they're clicking and we're working out some kinks... 

As soon as Davis opted back in I thought the same thing.  This is the best O line in the country and one of the top two QBs. I even like Sermon a bit better than I did Dobbins which really sucks for us, :lol:.  Trial by fire for this young D line, here's hoping they hang in there.

Like most are saying,  best to get them week one and maybe they haven't figured it out/we can surprise them.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, runningblind said:

As soon as Davis opted back in I thought the same thing.  This is the best O line in the country and one of the top two QBs. I even like Sermon a bit better than I did Dobbins which really sucks for us, :lol:.  Trial by fire for this young D line, here's hoping they hang in there.

Like most are saying,  best to get them week one and maybe they haven't figured it out/we can surprise them.

I hope people don't put too much stock into this game, there's top 25 teams that could lose to this OSU team by 4+ touchdowns. We could lose 56-28 and still have all our goals in front of us. 

Like you said I'm hoping we catch a rusty OSU offense still trying to work in new pieces, but I'm mentally prepping for the worst. 

• Plus1 4

The thing I really hate is getting a couple first downs and then having a punter shank it 20 yards down field...or punting it 45 yards and then letting them return it 40 yards...getting a field goal - then kicking off shallow and then letting them return it back to their own 45 yard line, etc., etc.

Just reeeeeally hoping that at least special teams is turned around. Letting a Top 5 team have great field position all day is one of the best ways to get 55 - 60 points hung on you.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Decked said:

that’s not saying much. Nebraska’s linebacker core has been puke. 

No argument from me there, I've been saying LBs are my biggest concern on D for a few years now. Hell, I've even said that I wouldn't be surprised if Ruud is on the hotseat this year. But I still think that some have given Barry a liiitle more flack than he deserved.

• Plus1 2

It will be interesting to see how the Buckeyes perform this year. I think they have a really bad taste in their mouth from the end of last season and they have something to prove. However, the way the other conferences have performed, it looks like just about anyone has a shot in some of these games. Good luck to the Huskers this year. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I'll be honest Our D vs OSUs Offense scares the s#!t out of me. We haven't been particularly stout on defense since Frost arrived and this OSU offense has the chance to be a legit all time great offense. They have 3 offensive lineman on the 2021 top 100 draft prospect list, the other two starters happen to be 5 stars that aren't draft eligible. They have the #3 RB on the 2021 top 100 draft prospect list (his back up ran for 800 yds and 4 Td last year. They have a receiver that's top 50 on the 2021 NFL prospect list. And oh yeah, and they have a Heisman favorite and potential top 5 draft pick at QB. 

This isn't a shot at Nebraska, just saying this OSU team could hang 40+ on any team in the country. Let alone if we get them on a night they're clicking and we're working out some kinks... 

I'm thinking our defensive issues go back farther than that. But yeah I agree, this is a crazy offense and I expect a lot of points scored. I'm hoping they're a little rusty/treat it like a tune up game and we can catch them off guard a few times and maybe get some turnovers/stops. But they are a huge challenge for anyone, and we are outmanned more than other teams.

On the note with their OL, the only opposing player I ever heard Darrion or the Davises compliment was the OSU center, Josh Myers. They all actually went out of their way to not answer questions like "who was the toughest player you faced" at the combine. But after the OSU game Darrion said something like "that dude is going to be a problem" about Myers, which again is the only praise I heard him dole out on an opponent. Heck of a test for our DL.

16 minutes ago, Undone said:

@jaws, who replaces Chase Young this year and what can you tell us about him?

I'm not jaws and am also curious for his thoughts, but I work with a lot of OSU fans. Sounds like it'll be more of a rotation, but it's a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys. Best chance at being anything like Chase Young is Zach Harrison, he is freakishly talented but was very raw last year. He ran 4.47 and jumped almost 38 inches at 253 lbs as a high schooler at a Nike camp. Their DL coach is phenomenal as well, so now as a sophomore he could be a problem. Also might see some Javontae Jean-Baptiste, who I think is one of the guys that has made this board so skeptical of "silent commits" - wasn't he coming here at one point?

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm not jaws and am also curious for his thoughts, but I work with a lot of OSU fans. Sounds like it'll be more of a rotation, but it's a bunch of 4 and 5 star guys. Best chance at being anything like Chase Young is Zach Harrison, he is freakishly talented but was very raw last year. He ran 4.47 and jumped almost 38 inches at 253 lbs as a high schooler at a Nike camp. Their DL coach is phenomenal as well, so now as a sophomore he could be a problem. Also might see some Javontae Jean-Baptiste, who I think is one of the guys that has made this board so skeptical of "silent commits" - wasn't he coming here at one point?

Great write-up. And depressing.

35 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

That about sums it up. Harrison was pretty much tagged as Young's replacement when he stepped on campus. It will be interesting to see if he can make the jump like both Bosas and Young did.

Here is a write up on the OSU defense. https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2020-season-preview/2020/10/117256/key-players-breakout-candidates-and-expectations-for-ohio-states-defense

Looking to the future, Jack Sawyer is the next in the line of freak athletes at defensive end. He will early enroll in December. 

29 minutes ago, jaws said:

That about sums it up. Harrison was pretty much tagged as Young's replacement when he stepped on campus. It will be interesting to see if he can make the jump like both Bosas and Young did.

Here is a write up on the OSU defense. https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2020-season-preview/2020/10/117256/key-players-breakout-candidates-and-expectations-for-ohio-states-defense

Looking to the future, Jack Sawyer is the next in the line of freak athletes at defensive end. He will early enroll in December. 

Good info. I forget that tOSU had half their secondary go in the top 20 and Fuller go in the 6th round. There will be kinks to work out at all levels of the defense, but loads of talent to choose from. The one thing Nebraska has is the opportunity to play them before the have any chances to smooth over those kinks.

Not having their stadium packed with their fans helps us in this one. Not saying that it's to a large degree, but it helps us.

I say blitz two of our linebackers on pretty much every play in the first quarter. We don't have the athletes on defense to be hesitant.

Can't wait to see our starting 11 trot out there on offense and run some plays...but I'm pretty much cringing at the thought of their defensive line versus our O-line.