The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Well, I'm not Christian either, but having a community with a community center is a heck of a lot easier way to maintain cohesiveness than just randomly getting together at various places. 

Churches don't need to be palaces, and there's a conversation to be had about ostentatious displays of wealth in churches, but a decent, well-maintained and clean facility to hold worship, classroom instruction and social events (like weddings or funerals or potlucks) isn't unreasonable.

Agree.  A church doubling as an actually community center would be awesome.  

The church of my most recent membership sits empty 5.75 days out of 7.  With the exception of a midweek meal (that only some members attend) and a midweek service.  And I actually really liked that church because until recently, they didn't seem to get caught up in the music show/power point style worship.

The church was the host of a food pantry in a basement closet about 30' by 15'.  But the pantry needed more room.  Our church had 2 worship areas, a traditional sanctuary and a more open space for contemporary worship.  Priorities I guess...

13 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Agree.  A church doubling as an actually community center would be awesome.  

The church of my most recent membership sits empty 5.75 days out of 7.  With the exception of a midweek meal (that only some members attend) and a midweek service.  And I actually really liked that church because until recently, they didn't seem to get caught up in the music show/power point style worship.

The church was the host of a food pantry in a basement closet about 30' by 15'.  But the pantry needed more room.  Our church had 2 worship areas, a traditional sanctuary and a more open space for contemporary worship.  Priorities I guess...

I would guess that's an anomaly. The church I most recently attended is also a daycare, so half the classrooms are used five days per week, as is the worship hall (the kiddos hang with the Pastor once or twice a week not exactly for worship, but for kinda "spiritual time"), there are committee meetings nearly every night, there are AA meetings (and similar programs) pretty much every night, there are larger-group bible studies nearly every night. It was hard getting a space sometimes. And that doesn't count midweek stuff for Middle-Schoolers, all that stuff.

Maybe it depends on the church and maybe it depends on the area. I'm sure lots of buildings aren't as busy as our old one is.

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

South MS will be similar to Louisiana. Mardi Gras is huge throughout the region and travel back and forth between the areas is extremely high volume. There was really 0 urgency about the situation until about a week ago