The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

22 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I get that part but I really don't think that means they should give up on even trying. Again, maybe I'm way off base but it seems to me if you are in a tough position with social distancing in the first place you should be taking every precaution possible since its more likely a good percentage of people are infected 

by this point, I am sure that there has been herd inoculation/immunity from exposure...in such tight quarters that might even be the better option than offloading these folks to possibly infect others...?

5 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

by this point, I am sure that there has been herd inoculation/immunity from exposure...in such tight quarters that might even be the better option than offloading these folks to possibly infect others...?

Herd immunity isnt a thing in such a small group. I would imagine 90% infection would be possible if nothing was done and that is an outcome that must be avoided if possible.

Maybe someone else posted this so forgive me if this is a duplicate.    Trump needs to be impeached for his sorry lack of leadership.  We all knew he wasn't worthy of the office and could not live up to its high moral demands.  He is proving it everyday that he has not the character to mitigate this crisis nor the depth of personality to properly work with individuals who he should be working with.   This statement that the 'federal govt is merely a backup to state govt' is far worse than Obama's statement about leading from behind.  I understand what Obama was trying to say - I think he could have stated it better as it gave shadows of weakness. However,  Trump is misrepresenting the constitution and is derelict in his duties as president.  It is his job and his RESPONSIBILITY to lead and not to point fingers. But because he has such a pea size personality with a basketball size insecurity/ narcissistic personality disorder, there is no way he can lead.   Someone(s) should have enacted Amend 25,# 4 a long time ago as it should have been apparent to those up close to him that trump's personality issues were/are a security threat to our nation and it is playing out right now before our very eyes.  But the GOP party has been enablers and complicit in this and as a party are equally guilty of neglecting their duties on behalf of the  people - as clearly seen in the impeachment and by not enacting A25.4 a long time ago. What is clearly seen by most is not seen by cult followers or by others who are blinded by their greed and hunger for power.  :boxosoap

EUoZr2aWoAAjM76?format=jpg&name=large

21 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Herd immunity isnt a thing in such a small group. I would imagine 90% infection would be possible if nothing was done and that is an outcome that must be avoided if possible.

Not trying to be difficult, but why? 85% of the overall population that gets it either doesn't know, or has mild symptoms. It is not a death sentence. My point remains...why not just let it infect 100% of the crew, take the worst affected off ship, and have everyone else get on with their duties...rather than offload everyone and risk spreading it to the hospitals/facilities they go to

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

Not trying to be difficult, but why? 85% of the overall population that gets it either doesn't know, or has mild symptoms. It is not a death sentence. My point remains...why not just let it infect 100% of the crew, take the worst affected off ship, and have everyone else get on with their duties...rather than offload everyone and risk spreading it to the hospitals/facilities they go to

Because there would be a certain percentage that would become critically ill and possibly die?

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Because there would be a certain percentage that would become critically ill and possibly die?

a ship of war is a lot different than say... the town of St Paul...about the same number of folks involved but must be handled totally differently 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

He did not exercise poor judgment. He's a career officer, and he knew very well what that letter would do.

He understood the risk to his crew was greater than the risk to his career, and he chose to save his crew.

He's a hero.

Correct on all points. Unfortunately not enough officers who put their soldiers and sailors ahead of their own careers.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

I get that part but I really don't think that means they should give up on even trying. Again, maybe I'm way off base but it seems to me if you are in a tough position with social distancing in the first place you should be taking every precaution possible since its more likely a good percentage of people are infected 

The top deck is probably the best they can do to "social distance". It's not like they have private rooms, they're sleeping in bunks in a large room.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

If you're ok with 20 sailors dying and potentially enough ill that the ship is inoperable sure

This isn't leadership

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Trump-sows-uncertainty-and-seeks-to-cast-blame-in-15175711.php

WASHINGTON - In the three weeks since declaring the novel coronavirus outbreak a national emergency, President Donald Trump has delivered a dizzying array of rhetorical contortions, sowed confusion and repeatedly sought to cast blame on others.

History has never known a crisis response as strong as his own, Trump says - yet the self-described wartime president claims he is merely backup. He has faulted state governors for acting too slowly and, as he did Thursday, has accused overwhelmed state and hospital officials of complaining too much and of hoarding supplies.

America is winning its war with the coronavirus, the president says - yet the death toll rises still, and in the best-case scenario more Americans will die than in the wars in Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan and Iraq combined.

The economy is the strongest ever and will rebound in no time, he says - yet stock markets have cratered and in the past two weeks a record 10 million people filed for unemployment insurance.
As Trump has sought to remake his public image from that of a skeptic of the pandemic's danger to a savior forestalling catastrophe and protecting hundreds of thousands of people from a vicious contagion, he also has distorted the truth, making edits and creating illusions at many turns.

Trump's machinations have a dogged showman's quality, using his omnipresence at daily White House news conferences - which sometimes stretch to two hours or more and are broadcast to millions - to try to erase memories from his two months of playing down the crisis, sometimes scolding reporters who question his version of events.

The result is chaotic. Leaders from Maine to Oregon and from Dayton, Ohio, to Austin, Texas, say their constituents are whipsawed by the contradictory messages emanating each day from the presidential lectern, which exacerbates efforts on the ground to enforce social distancing and mitigate the spread.

"People are confused about whether this is really serious. People are confused about how long this may last," Austin Mayor Steve Adler, a Democrat, said. "We're trying to get as much containment as we can by limiting the number of physical interactions taking place, but they're hearing it's not a big deal, it's going to be over soon, and getting community buy-in becomes a harder thing to achieve."

Due to Trump's pinballing statements, Americans have been subject to a parade of claims and musings about medicine, a topic about which past presidents have avoided speculating in deference to the Food and Drug Administration's official role addressing safety and efficacy matters.

"He at times just says whatever comes to mind or tweets, then someone on TV is saying the opposite," Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan, a Republican, said recently. "It's critically important that the message is straightforward and fact-based for the public."